View Full Version : Modules used by parser in 4e ruleset.

May 4th, 2010, 07:22
I've been trying to help my DM out since my DM is not very tech savvy. The problem is that I can't seem to get any modules to "share" correctly. I checked the "how to share module with players ?" and it didn't exactly help me understand if the issue is the same as mine. We are trying to test something and as an example, I have parsed the Player's handbook and labled it:
Player's Handbook 1
The players on the other end do not see it. I have a theory as why it isn't activating and it might be because of the labeling of the file name (being that it would be labeled "Player's Handbook 1.mod")
Before, I had "Monster Manual 1" labeled as "MonsterManual1" and it seemed one of the players saw it, but it wouldn't activate. We didn't get a chance to see if we could activate it via me sending the .mod file over and them checking if it shows up on their side after opening.

The other things I have tried is using the buttons to tell the module activation window which modules are allowed to be used by the players and which isn't. I even tried using the "force load to players" and it hasn't worked.


and thanks in advanced.

May 4th, 2010, 19:17
I would advise removing the ' characters from any module name and its filename. They tend to cause problems. White space and alphanumerics are fine though.

Another thing to check is what module types the modules are: db.xml, common.xml or client.xml?

Check the mod files by unpacking them (WinZIP) or check the Parser configuration (Output format, just under Module Directory).

db.xml -- is a GM accessible module only e.g. DMG, MM1 and MM2
common.xml -- GM and players can access the module; GM hosts the modules, the modules are transferred to the player(s) either when they connect to the server or when they try and open one (not 100% sure exactly which).
client.xml -- GM and players can access; everyone needs to have a copy of the module in their app data modules subfolder.

I believe your players may not be able to see the modules because the modules are either GM only modules (db.xml) or they are accessible and they are either very slow to transfer (common.xml) or your players don't have copies of the module in the modules subfolder (client.xml).

May 4th, 2010, 21:39
Heh wow... that database part I did not know. That might actually do it though. I'll have to test again later on, but I will go ahead and fix them up. Thanks for the assistance, I'll come back on if it still doesn't work.