PDA

View Full Version : Dresden Files RPG

Valarian
May 1st, 2010, 15:09
The Dresden Files RPG is finally out on preorder and I've been busy preparing a character sheet for a game. This one is based on Foen's Base Ruleset. We'll be starting up a Dresden Files on Friday nights after the current Summerland game has finished.

Anyway ... a few screenshots.

Sigurd
May 1st, 2010, 20:38
May fortune aid you in your good works :)!

I find it a shame we are in such disparate time zones.

Sigurd

Kalan
May 1st, 2010, 22:20
What time on Friday's? I'll be sooo there :D (we're about to start a face to face campaign set in Copenhagen...can't wait :D)

MacLeod
May 2nd, 2010, 00:46
Dresdeny Goodness abound! I can't wait for the print books to get out..

Valarian
May 2nd, 2010, 09:07
What time on Friday's? I'll be sooo there :D (we're about to start a face to face campaign set in Copenhagen...can't wait :D)
It's all in the signature :)

Zeus
May 14th, 2010, 12:05
I'm quite interested in this RPG having just recently read a couple of the books and watching the TV series. Looking forward to having a game.

I don't mind helping out with the graphics Valarian, if your interested?

Here's a quick WiP desktop background I created in about 20 mins in Photoshop. The glyphs, circle and fonts are all home made.

https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1033/4606338972_aec608c032_m.jpg (https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1033/4606338972_69a20b0451_o.jpg)

Let me know.

Valarian
May 14th, 2010, 19:35
I've now gained permission from Evil Hat to put up a ruleset on the wiki site. I'll be contacting Oberoten to get that up. Currently (version 0.1) only has the character sheet.

Valarian
May 14th, 2010, 20:19
DrZeuss, I like the background. It's a little darker than I was thinking. I was aiming for a Private Investigator case file type look. However, that's a good look. Maybe a darker theme as an extension? The graphics files are basically the same as for the Base Ruleset, as that's what I've based things on.

Zeus
May 15th, 2010, 08:06
Cool. I'll package the skin into an extension for the Base Ruleset.

MacLeod
May 15th, 2010, 14:50
Curse the time zone diffrences

Valarian
May 16th, 2010, 08:11
Oberoten has put the ruleset up on the Wiki:
https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Dresden_Files

Valarian
May 16th, 2010, 08:16
Cool. I'll package the skin into an extension for the Base Ruleset.

Sounds good, make sure you include DresdenFiles as a ruleset in the extension list. I've separated the ruleset out as a parallel development rather than do it as a Base ruleset extension. More to do in the case of Base ruleset improvements but easier to modify.

The depressing thing is that my desktop image took me longer in photoshop to come up with, yet yours looks a lot better.

JMOxx75
July 8th, 2010, 02:00
I really want to play this game but the Fate system is completely foreign to me. Oh well I am excited to see the names that are interested in it for future ruleset hopes. If anyone in the EST zone would like to play this game pm me.

Valarian
July 8th, 2010, 08:37
We had to cancel the Dresden Files game on Friday due to time pressures (real life getting in the way). However, another member of the group is running a Sunday evening FATE pulp sci-fi game at the moment. That would fit in with an EST time zone if you're okay playing Sunday afternoon.

JMOxx75
July 8th, 2010, 20:18
Sundays are pretty bad for me. My work day starts Monday morning at 1:30am so I am in bed pretty early on Sunday. If a game is ever on Fri or Sat though I could do anytime. Thanks anyways.

Kalan
July 9th, 2010, 07:41
I'm considering running a Dresden game on FG - just need to wait and see how my schedule shapes up. It'd likely run bi-weekly on Friday nights (European time), so not sure how that'd work for you...

Matchstick
July 9th, 2010, 16:36
I've heard a lot of good things about the Dresden Ruleset. Right now you guys are just using FG2 with the character sheet and the dice right? There's not a FATE ruleset that I don't know about?

I'm going to be playing in a Dresden game at GenCon this year. I'm really looking forward to it.

Valarian
July 9th, 2010, 17:21
There's a couple on the wiki which just have the character sheet at the moment. There's the Dresden Files ruleset which is a customised Base Ruleset. Then, there's the Spirit of the Century extension for the Foundation ruleset. The last one is a light-weight sheet. Either are probably generic enough for other FATE 3 game. In fact, I probably ought to do a FATE 3 generic ruleset (replacing the Dresden one) and have specific extensions for the various games (SotC, Dresden, Starblazer).

Matchstick
July 9th, 2010, 19:21
Excellent, thanks for doing all of this!

I'd love to see a FATE ruleset, I'm betting our group would be on that like white on rice. Dresden especially would be right up our alley.

I'm pretty sure I'll wind up buying the Dresden books at GenCon.

:)

Valarian
May 21st, 2011, 12:05
I'm currently going to be testing some changes to the ruleset, bringing in the NPC sheet (still need to put a power/stunt tab on that one) and combat tracker functionality.

Thanks to Lee, who sent me a copy of his changes. The NPC sheet and tracker changes are mostly from him, with a few tweaks here and there. Lee, if you're out there, send me a PM and I can get a proper accreditation up on the Wiki when it goes up there.

I've also done a module for my own use which has the information for character creation. Sorry, that's not going to be shared. No permission from Evil Hat to share content, only the blank sheets.

kairos
May 22nd, 2011, 03:45
Hey, Val:

I've got a workable DF ruleset. I can't really put any more time into developing it what with family commitments. It's got a working combat tracker and customizable stress tracks. You can also change the stress track in the combat tracker by editing the track name in the tracker entry.

If it would be useful to you, I'd be happy to send it on privately (it's got some game content, mainly skills and trappings, preloaded in lua tables that I'm too lazy to strip out for public posting). PM and I can send it to you.

K

Valarian
May 22nd, 2011, 08:35
Will certainly have a look at it and see if I can merge the functionality in the two rulesets. I purposefully left out the skill lists as I got the feedback that Evil Hat were happy to let me put the ruleset up on the Wiki as long as no content was published. Hence the creation of the module for my own games, as not all players will have the books.

kairos
May 22nd, 2011, 14:53
Yeah, that's sort of what I was shooting for, too. This ruleset lets you fill in some lua tables in a script to define your skills, skill descriptions, and associated trappings. One could conceivably modify this ruleset down to a generic FATE SOTC SRD ruleset.

If I were to distribute it, I would just strip out the content and let individuals GMs fill it in. It's just that I'm too lazy to do that -- hence the private link to you. ;)

It's not really finished, but it's usable. Feel free to use whatever code might be useful. I'd just like to see a really solid, living DF ruleset for FG. :D

Valarian
May 22nd, 2011, 15:39
These latest changes will go up to the Wiki to replace the version already up there once it's gone through a few sessions.

On the other games, I need to redo the SotC extension to fit over this ruleset and I plan on doing extensions for Starblazer and Legends of Anglerre as well (though they could quite easily use the SotC one).

drahkar
May 22nd, 2011, 17:19
Sometimes the cosmetics make all the difference. :)