PDA

View Full Version : I've tried it all

krazydave
April 29th, 2010, 15:56
so i've done everything i can do to set up port forwarding options that would allow FG to work and the test still indicates failure. i followed portforward.com to the "T" for my router and it still isn't working. i'm totally at my wit's end. any advice?

cpbs
April 29th, 2010, 16:31
:) I think we have all felt your pain in some form or another or at one time or another. Post your computer specs and your router information, as in brand, model etc. It will help us be able to point you in the right direction.

krazydave
April 29th, 2010, 16:45
running vista

have a 2wire 2701HG-B

cpbs
April 29th, 2010, 18:29
I will take a look into this. I had this same problem when I was using a DSL modem to run my games. Off the top of my head, the problem that I was having, was not the port forwarding on but that the modem also had a firewall on it, that caused it to block everything. I'll take a look at the spec sheet and see if I can think of anything else.

MacLeod
April 29th, 2010, 20:18
I will take a look into this. I had this same problem when I was using a DSL modem to run my games. Off the top of my head, the problem that I was having, was not the port forwarding on but that the modem also had a firewall on it, that caused it to block everything. I'll take a look at the spec sheet and see if I can think of anything else.

it's not an elegent solution but you may want to try hamachi www.logmein.com is the site i belive.

dm-crazy
April 29th, 2010, 20:51
HAMACHI is amazing (so crazy) bcuz u can create your VPN and the players need to log-in to get the VPN ip and use that new ip to log in FG!:D

CampbellR66
April 29th, 2010, 23:25
so i've done everything i can do to set up port forwarding options that would allow FG to work and the test still indicates failure. i followed portforward.com to the "T" for my router and it still isn't working. i'm totally at my wit's end. any advice?

do you have more than one network card on the machine ... Wireless and Wired?

If so disable the one that is not set up for port forwarding

Robbo
April 30th, 2010, 03:03
I've had Fantasy Grounds working perfectly for a month or more, and tonight I can't connect, apparently thanks to my router/port forwarding. ARRRGGGGGHHH! I had five players I had to cancel on. That was the worst part.

ddavison
April 30th, 2010, 03:15
The biggest thing I find when people *suddenly* quit working is that their router has assigned them a new local IP address and they need to update their port to forward to their new ip address. Normally you can set this to a reserved ip that won't be reset. It depends on the router though.

Doswelk
April 30th, 2010, 07:43
The biggest thing I find when people *suddenly* quit working is that their router has assigned them a new local IP address and they need to update their port to forward to their new ip address. Normally you can set this to a reserved ip that won't be reset. It depends on the router though.

My old router would not allow me to reserve an IP address so what I did was to reduce the IP address range by 1 and gave My PC a fixed address of the number I just removed from the DHCP range.

e.g. my DHCP range was 19.168.1.2-192.168.1.100 so I changed the limit to 192.168.1.99 and set my PC up as 192.168.1.100

Then I set up all the forwarding and routing to 192.168.1.100

Robbo
April 30th, 2010, 14:36

Thank you Doug, this was my exact problem. I wasn't technically apt enough to figure it out with players waiting on the line, but after your reply I tinkered around and made the change this morning. Thanks for your quick response.

krazydave
May 3rd, 2010, 15:31
so at this point i still don't have a clue what to do.

i feel like i did something wrong. is it this common to have this problem?

i've tried checking my firewall on my computer, but when i shut the whole thing off i still couldn't connect.

doesn't setting up port forwarding on the router work around the firewall on the router? or could that firewall still be the problem?

cpbs
May 3rd, 2010, 16:15
The firewall on the router could be a problem if you have one. If the router also has a firewall, then make sure either its turned off or make sure the Fantasy Grounds is on the list of don't block programs.

krazydave
May 4th, 2010, 14:03
The firewall on the router could be a problem if you have one. If the router also has a firewall, then make sure either its turned off or make sure the Fantasy Grounds is on the list of don't block programs.

how would i go about doing that?

cpbs
May 4th, 2010, 15:07
If you have not already tried, try download the user manual for your router/modem.

https://support.2wire.com/download/49/5100-000326-000.Rev.A.pdf

Start looking on page 44, were it talks about your firewall.

krazydave
May 4th, 2010, 15:27
If you have not already tried, try download the user manual for your router/modem.

https://support.2wire.com/download/49/5100-000326-000.Rev.A.pdf

Start looking on page 44, were it talks about your firewall.

OH! i've done EXACTLY THIS. so, does that mean the i haven't opened port 1802? because i remember punching that number in on that firewall page.

krazydave
May 14th, 2010, 15:05
i just recently set up a static ip address and when i went to test the connection it took much longer and then said failure.

when i do this i have the fantasy grounds website open in a browser. is there by chance a specific place on the site i need to be?

so to recap:

i opened port 1802
set up static ip address

is there anything else that needs to be done? is opening the port and turning off the firewall the same thing?

krazydave
May 14th, 2010, 15:11
also, portforwarding.com's port checker does say that they were unable to reach port 1802, even though i spent an hour opening it.

Leonal
May 14th, 2010, 16:04
Make sure you have Fantasy Grounds open with a campaign loaded when checking if the port is open. (If you did then something's funky)

Moon Wizard
May 14th, 2010, 17:52
For most situations where people have trouble getting the port forwarding set up, here are the steps that I try:

1. Run a host and a client instance of FG on the same machine. Have the client instance connect to 127.0.0.1. I've never heard of this failing, but it's a basic check to make sure that you can connect to the host.

2. Run a host instance on your main machine, and a client instance on another machine on your local network. Have the client connect to the host's internal IP address (visible on the launcher screen of the host before launching campaign). If this fails, then it is most likely a firewall issue on the host machine.

3. Run a host instance on your main machine, and have someone else run a client instance from another physical location to connect over the Internet. Have the client connect to the host's external IP address (acquired by clicking on the external IP field in the host machine launcher). If this fails, then the issue is the port forwarding or firewall on the router.

For these tests, I suggest avoiding the alias system, since they create another layer of indirection, as well as assuming an external IP scenario.

Regards,
JPG

TheMetal1
May 15th, 2010, 23:56
krazydave,

I ran into some of the same problems you had. Don't give up! (I don't think you would, but I felt like saying that anyway). Here is a thread documenting some of those challenges that might help you. Big thing i would do is call your Internet Service Provider, you'll likely need to do that anyway. Take a read of the thread and let me know if any of that helps.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11075