PDA

View Full Version : Creating a medivial skin

peterb
April 28th, 2010, 13:35
A tip,

There are a few skins shipped with FG that are designed for D&D. These are shipped as extensions. Since an .ext file is really just a zip archive you can access the frames and icons of the skins and replace the BRP skin or even create new extensions. Here I will just cover how to replace the default BRP skin.

Replacing the default Basic Roleplaying skin
1) Create a backup of the Basic Roleplaying ruleset!
2) Unzip one of D&D skins.
3) Open up a copy of the BRP frames folder and the graphics/frames folder of the D&D skin.
4) Copy those D&D frames that you like (making sure they have the same names as in BRP to the BRP frames folder. You may have to rename a frame or two.
5) Copy those D&D icons that you like (making sure they have the same names as in BRP to the BRP icons folder. You may have to rename a icon or two.

My recommendation is to keep the character sheet and all tabs icons. but YMMV.

For my personal skin I resized the desktop image from the CoC ruleset (it's taller and more narrow than the BRP desktop image) and used that one instead of the D&D desktop. I really like the tabletop feeling the CoC desktop creates.

peterb
April 28th, 2010, 13:48
Here's a screenshot.

As you see I've used the chat box from CoC and I've changed the golden metal D&D icons to black & white (I wanted a more slick silver look).

peterb
April 28th, 2010, 13:59
As a further recommendation, keep the frames and icons that are used for the boxes for story, encounters, items and so on. They don't look so nice with the D&D graphics.

You could of course "nick" icons and frames from any ruleset that you happen to have, just make sure you have a backup of the original files!