PDA

View Full Version : Yet another license question...

CAPryde
April 27th, 2010, 02:41
Hello all. I'm about to move to a new city, and I'm considering purchasing FG2 as a way for my Savage Worlds gaming group to keep meeting. I have sifted through all of the license threads that I can find, but I still have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone could answer.

1) Can "Lite" licenses purchased today be upgraded to "Full" licenses in the future? Some of the FAQ stuff seems to suggest that upgrades are only available to people who bought earlier iterations of the "Lite" license.

2) I understand that "unregistered" users can only connect to an "Ultimate" client, and I understand the difference between "Lite" and "Full" clients. Is there any other functionality difference between "unregistered" clients and "Lite" clients?

3) If I am running the game, will my players need to purchase the Savage Worlds rules set for their Lite/unregistered client apps? Or do I just purchase one rules set and keep it on my machine? I understand that they will only be able to do character creation when connected to my server.

Thanks for the input. I'm trying out the demo right now to learn it, and I'm going to get some of my gaming group to meet up and try it out soon. I am tentatively hopeful that it will allow us to keep gaming.

tdewitt274
April 27th, 2010, 02:55
Welcome to the boards!

Hello all. I'm about to move to a new city, and I'm considering purchasing FG2 as a way for my Savage Worlds gaming group to keep meeting. I have sifted through all of the license threads that I can find, but I still have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone could answer.

1) Can "Lite" licenses purchased today be upgraded to "Full" licenses in the future? Some of the FAQ stuff seems to suggest that upgrades are only available to people who bought earlier iterations of the "Lite" license.

I believe that you can upgrade now, but not sure if that will go away.

2) I understand that "unregistered" users can only connect to an "Ultimate" client, and I understand the difference between "Lite" and "Full" clients. Is there any other functionality difference between "unregistered" clients and "Lite" clients?

Think of an "unregistered" as a demo. They can only play if there's an "Ultimate" DM available. A Lite can attach to a Full or Ultimate.

3) If I am running the game, will my players need to purchase the Savage Worlds rules set for their Lite/unregistered client apps? Or do I just purchase one rules set and keep it on my machine? I understand that they will only be able to do character creation when connected to my server.

No, they do not need to purchase the ruleset. They download the ruleset into their cache when they connect.

Thanks for the input. I'm trying out the demo right now to learn it, and I'm going to get some of my gaming group to meet up and try it out soon. I am tentatively hopeful that it will allow us to keep gaming.

Doswelk
April 27th, 2010, 11:23

I do not know what time zone you are in but you are more then welcome to sit in on my SW game (I run one most Tuesdays 8pm GMT well British Summer time right now:p)

I won an Ultimate license so you do not need any thing to have a look in!

(By the way this applies to anyone who want to try out SW FGII)

themightyugh
April 29th, 2010, 04:18
I'm also looking at buying into FGII. I want to look at getting my friends involved, but I don't want to the be the only person that does all the GMing.
With that in mind i have a few questions.

1) Does the licenseing around FGII relate to Installs of the software or just connected sessions. Obviously you cant have 2 sessions connected to a Game with the same license (except when localhosting). is it a breach to install the software with the same license on multiple computers. (even ones that are not mine).

2) Can i Buy the Ultimate version, then the players all used unregistered versions and when someone else DM's, can they use the same Ultimate licence installed on their computer and then I run an uregistered version?

Obviously I want to go about it in the most cost effective way, but I dont want to breach any licence agreements.

I play 4e D&D LFR. We hold regular games days that has 40 people at any one time and 150 in the community. I just cant afford that many FG licenses. What are my options?

Doswelk
April 29th, 2010, 10:15
1) Does the licenseing around FGII relate to Installs of the software or just connected sessions. Obviously you cant have 2 sessions connected to a Game with the same license (except when localhosting). is it a breach to install the software with the same license on multiple computers. (even ones that are not mine).

AFAIK The license is restricted to a single install (actually I installed it on my laptop as well as my desktop but only use one at a time)

2) Can i Buy the Ultimate version, then the players all used unregistered versions
Yes

When someone else DM's, can they use the same Ultimate licence installed on their computer and then I run an uregistered version?
Not to my understanding of the EULA, but your Ultimate license can connect to any Full/Ultimate License.

Obviously I want to go about it in the most cost effective way, but I dont want to breach any licence agreements.

I play 4e D&D LFR. We hold regular games days that has 40 people at any one time and 150 in the community. I just cant afford that many FG licenses. What are my options?

I do not know how to answer that one, except to say you probably need an Ultimate License for yourself, and anyone else who wants to GM may have to consider one as well.

I hope this helps and I am sure someone more knowledgeable will correct any inaccurate statements I have made!