PDA

View Full Version : Player Gets HTTP 404 Error

kcdnd
April 26th, 2010, 07:14
Anyone able to let me know why a player would get this error when connecting and fix?

C:\Users\paul\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\tokens directory with host and shared folders are empty so I'm not sure what is being transferred.

Thanks,
Paul

Here is the error:
https://www.kcdnd.com/snagit/http404.png

Oberoten
April 26th, 2010, 07:45
This error occurs when you have dragged a character portrait to a map as a token and the character is not logged in.

It happens because the character portraits unlike tokens are not saved on the host computer but at the client side.

- Obe

templarghost
April 26th, 2010, 12:30
Hi! No intention to hijack the thread, but I'm playing in a game and I often get disconnected all of a sudden, and when I login I notice the same message appears in the chatbox.
Oberoten, if you could be a bit more specific please?
I noticed our DM insists on using the portraits as tokens, despite me constantly trying to advocate the use of tokens instead.
Will the use of tokens solve the problem?
ANd is the problem somehow related to the connection I'm having (in regards to packet loss, connection timeouts?!).
Any assistance is welcome and thanks in advance!

Oberoten
April 26th, 2010, 12:40
Yes, using tokens would indeed solve the issue. In the current model using the portrait takes the image from the logged in players portrait which then is transfered from the player to Gm and then shared to all players on a buggy connection this is troublesome indeed. Tokens on the other hand are transfered from gm to players only minimizing the errors in transfer.

Sigurd
April 26th, 2010, 13:13
I think its fair to suggest that 'the issue' Oberoten is talking about is strictly the errors mentioned by the OP. Portrait errors are an annoyance but I don't think they themselves are part of any instability.

Your DM will not have more stable games by using tokens over portraits. Portraits are tiny files and even on slow connections they eventually transfer.

Sigurd

kcdnd
April 27th, 2010, 03:41
Thanks for the information, that makes sense.

Foen
April 27th, 2010, 07:35
Also worth noting that the 404 error is reported when a player logs in, but doesn't actually prevent the right image being used (I think the software must cache a copy on the host anyway). I find it happens when I've used a second instance on the GM's machine to set up an NPC using a PC character sheet, and then don't have that second instance running while hosting a session.

It would be nice to have a facility that disabled the error message.

Foen

templarghost
April 27th, 2010, 11:09
Thanks for the suggestions and answers! I was hoping that by using tokens the problem will be solved and I'll try talking to my GM about it, but like it was mentioned earlier, they are not the issue, it's most likely a connection problem;
I'll try out the suggestions and see how it goes.