PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Characters...

gary42
April 25th, 2010, 22:39
Hi all! First time poster and looking forward to trying out this software as our gaming group has splintered a bit!

I have a question or two though... My wife and I are players in a CoC game. We have a computer which is hooked up to an lcd TV. What whould be our licensing requirements if we both wanted to run character on the same computer? And the rub is that we have multiple simultaneous characters in the campaign.

So...Can we run multiple characters on one licence or do we have to switch back and forth between multiple licences?

Thanks in advance and play on!

cpbs
April 25th, 2010, 23:51
The full license, as far as I know since it is the one I own, allows for two instances of the same program to run on the same computer at the same time. From there you can add as many characters you want to run from the logged in source, by click the icon in the upper right hand corner, when inside the game ,that looks like three figures. Other options of trying to run the license on other games usually gives you an error saying the license key is in use.

Peabody
April 27th, 2010, 06:06
So, Gary, is that a yes or a maybe?
Personally I suspect game-play might be more fun with you both on separate machines, but then again I'm only guessing.

I'm very excited that we appear to be only days or perhaps weeks away from playing together again!
Cappy, Jabesh and that tiresome old Mi-Go who never would die are all waiting to step out onto the stage once more for yet another encore!:ninja:

Doswelk
April 27th, 2010, 11:20
So...Can we run multiple characters on one licence or do we have to switch back and forth between multiple licences?

Thanks in advance and play on!

FGII allows more than one character in the same session! (This was an issue for SW but I am sure works for COC ruleset).

The only thing you need to do is remember to activate the character (right mouse button on PC icon) before you type/roll any dice to ensure that they are done by the right character!

Griogre
April 28th, 2010, 17:33
Technical capabilities aside, if money is not a big concern, I will also say if you have two computers you will probably be better off with each getting a copy of FG. Playing "hotseat" with two people is a pain with RPG's; particularly if you are not using voice in the game. IE what happens if you both want to type something in chat at the same time?

gary42
May 5th, 2010, 16:55
Thanks for all the replies folks! Seems like it's totally doable!

Thanks again!

Doswelk
May 5th, 2010, 19:34
Thanks for all the replies folks! Seems like it's totally doable!

Thanks again!

:D It is doable...

Technical capabilities aside, if money is not a big concern, I will also say if you have two computers you will probably be better off with each getting a copy of FG. Playing "hotseat" with two people is a pain with RPG's; particularly if you are not using voice in the game. IE what happens if you both want to type something in chat at the same time?

Griogre comments are very valid, if you can see if you can get someone (with an Ultimate License to host a demo session for you (I'm GMT if it helps).

That way you can see if the switching between characters is annoying or not!

gary42
May 5th, 2010, 20:59
I pulled the trigger on two licenses. I'll put my wife on the big screen (Where we can look at game aids etc in glorious HD) AND I'll run my characters from the laptop. The typing thing isn't so appealing so I think we're going to use Ventrilo or something like it. I picked up the Savage Worlds ruleset so we can continue a Zombie Infestation game (Zombie Run!!) and my friend will get CoC and BRP for the more frequent Cthulhu campaign!

All is groovy...

Game on...

dm-crazy
May 5th, 2010, 22:31
You can create ur own ventrilo server (if u want i can create a Video tutorial)

gary42
May 5th, 2010, 23:05
WOW! A vid turorial would be GREAT! And much appreciated!:)

Thanks!

Great helpful forum!

Doswelk
May 6th, 2010, 08:00
We just use Skype much easier!