PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start a 3.5 game

Sinar
April 25th, 2010, 02:09
Hey, I'm trying to get a game going for 3.5, I'm thinking of the following

- New players welcome, we have some experience but are not veterans.
- Friday nights, about 2 hours long, thinking 7-9 or 8-10 Eastern time
- Hoping a for campaign starting at lvl 1, custom made or pre-made welcome.

We're needing a DM, i have myself as a monk and my buddy as a wizard or sorc.
I guess depending on campaign the DM chooses will determine how many people we need but post here if your interested in play/DMing.

Like i said, new player/dm friendly but definitely want to RP. I can only speak for myself but I'm an RP/loot finding player

We can iron out the details once we get a roster going

lewlew1985
April 25th, 2010, 16:02
If you find a DM, I'd love to join as a player. Friday nights are great for me.

MikeParham
April 26th, 2010, 01:08
I've years of experience starting from first edition, and the time slot fits very well for me.

Unfortunately I have too many other things going to be able to GM another game right now, but if you get a game going, I'd be interested.

M113A2
April 27th, 2010, 23:52
Id love to play but i have softball games on friday nights,if anything changes plz let me know.

Digittal
May 4th, 2010, 23:12
hi, i'm new and would like to join your game. If this group finds a DM, I'll be glad to join.

Joey
May 9th, 2010, 09:44
If you find a DM I'm in

bcraddock01
May 9th, 2010, 16:54
Same - find DM and I am in.

EyeBall
May 11th, 2010, 01:31
Soo... Friday nights you say? what timezone are you in if I may ask?

Plissken
May 11th, 2010, 01:52
I'd be interested in running a 3.5 game...wow, I thought 3.5 players died. Glad to hear some of you have survived the nuclear blast that is 4e (I like DMing 4e, but not playing it so much).

I'd be interested in running a Pathfinder Adventure Path, or the 3.5 Trilogy - Barrow of the Forgotten King.

The second is very dungeon crawly but I don't mind that.

What would you guys be interested in? Fridays and Saturdays are the best time for me, but I much prefer Fridays.

EyeBall
May 11th, 2010, 02:00
I'd be interested in running a 3.5 game...wow, I thought 3.5 players died. Glad to hear some of you have survived the nuclear blast that is 4e (I like DMing 4e, but not playing it so much).

I'd be interested in running a Pathfinder Adventure Path, or the 3.5 Trilogy - Barrow of the Forgotten King.

What would you guys be interested in? Fridays and Saturdays are the best time for me, but I much prefer Fridays.

Depending on playtime, I would definitely be interested. I am on the Eastcoast, but I played wow on a Westcoast server, so I am think I could manage 1 night a week.

Let me know.

MikeParham
May 11th, 2010, 03:29

Friday eves EST time are still best for me as I've a live game on Saturday, and afterward spend time Saturday eves with the wife. I have not tried Pathfinder as yet, but certain that I can make the transition from conventional 3.5 gaming.

Mondays and Thursday eves I play in FGII hosted 4th edition games, thus those nights are unavailable for me.

Re's, Mike

Plissken
May 11th, 2010, 04:53
Ok, I think Friday afternoon/evening sounds good so far for two.

Pathfinder is almost similar to 3.5. However, just for the sake of ease, let's stick with a 3.5 adventure. That way I don't have to do any conversions.

I hope you guys don't mind dungeon crawl adventures. Pretty much all the published adventures I have are mostly dungeon crawl with thin plot. If you guys don't mind we can start off with a very simple dungeon crawl, which would get you from 1st to 2nd level, or we could just dive right in and start at 2nd level.

Joey
May 11th, 2010, 08:12
Sounds like we could have a game here for fridays. Lets just do it then

MikeParham
May 11th, 2010, 18:45
Ok, I think Friday afternoon/evening sounds good so far for two.

Pathfinder is almost similar to 3.5. However, just for the sake of ease, let's stick with a 3.5 adventure. That way I don't have to do any conversions.

I hope you guys don't mind dungeon crawl adventures. Pretty much all the published adventures I have are mostly dungeon crawl with thin plot. If you guys don't mind we can start off with a very simple dungeon crawl, which would get you from 1st to 2nd level, or we could just dive right in and start at 2nd level.

On Fridays I am usually good to go anytime after 1800 or so Eastern time.

Starting at second and diving right in sounds great for me at least. 2nd level gives us a little bit of flexibility in character design. I've not played Barrows yet, but as it's a "prefab" should be a great starting set for everyone to get to know each other.

Plissken, can you share with us a bit about your thoughts/rules regarding character creation? Also feelings regarding things like voice applications and such.

Plissken
May 12th, 2010, 02:02
Looks like we have 3 interested players so far. We could start once we get four. I can run games on Fridays regularly starting on the 28th. The next two weeks I'm working on Friday evenings but my schedule changes on the 28th and will remain that way for a long time. So, we either wait until the 28th or start at least one session on another day.

Character Creation:
* Start at level 2
* Standard Point Buy
* 1100 Gold to start
* 1 magic item of value 1000gp or less.
* Classes from the PHB1 or PHB2. Stick with the standard races from PHB 1.

If there's something that you would like to request in generating your character, let me know. I'm not super-strict so, if there's something you want to play let me look it over and I may allow it.

I'm not to keen on using voice apps. I don't have a good mic and also it has been my experience in past games it doesn't speed up combat or the game in general by too much.

EyeBall
May 12th, 2010, 02:24
What time are you looking at playing from and to? Depending on that, I would be very interested

Plissken
May 12th, 2010, 04:20
How does 3:30 pm PST sound? That would be 6:30 pm EST I think.

MikeParham
May 12th, 2010, 14:57
Actually I like using the voice applications as a means to get to know my fellow players better. It's not just that I'm an old fart who never learned to truly type (guys didn't take typing class in my grade school days), in the games when we use voice, more roleplay expressions come out.

True that they have no real effect on the mechanics of combat, and quite often have just the opposite effect on game speed, but then...I'm in it for the interaction and role-playing as much as the combat.

Everything else about your setup I like, but will have to think over the no voice chat aspect.

EyeBall
May 12th, 2010, 15:00
The time works for me. Barring any schedule changes at work, should be good to go. I do agree with Mike though, I think the use of a voice program helps bring out RP and such. Just my 2 copper

Plissken
May 12th, 2010, 22:19
It looks like you guys like using voice. No problem. I do prefer Ventrilo over Skype though.

Any ideas on what class/race you guys will be playing?

So, we have two or three interested players so far. Anyone else?

Xithren
May 13th, 2010, 00:06
hey if you still need a 4th im in, GMT - 5h (florida) and this all works nicely for me

ohh and as of now i dont have a mic but i got speakers so for now i dont think i can join in on many conversations x.X

also did i mention that im a 5 year Ad&d vet? so i have some skill with this thing (im only 15 ^.^)

Plissken
May 13th, 2010, 02:53
Welcome aboard, Xithren!

Xithren
May 13th, 2010, 21:01
ok do we have an idea as to when we are going to start playing?

ohh and i also wanted to know if i am allowed to be a firbolg monk (check the ad&d second edition the complete book of humanoids, https://rs321.rapidshare.com/files/98595263/The_Complete_Book_of_Humanoids.pdf if you need to)im willing to accept all penalties and everything but i just wanted to ask the dm if i could, so i can start picking out a character build :D

Plissken
May 14th, 2010, 01:23
You can be a monk, but please stick with the races in the PHB.

Hopefully we can get a game started on the 28th.

Xithren
May 14th, 2010, 19:56
dang i was hoping we could do some more out of the box kind of playing but ok w/e

MikeParham
May 14th, 2010, 21:19
I think a good part of it is that the GM doesnt know us as yet. Trust me, i also had an "out of the box but straight out of the book" character in mind, and perhaps at some point in the future I'll get to play him. But for this first exploration, it is good to play it a bit safe.

I do have a few questions though:

Can we include the "Expanded Classes" listed in PHB2 in our list of character options;

Can we have a greater degree of freedom on which books we draw our feats from?

Xithren
May 14th, 2010, 22:42
also before i lock in what class i am can everyone say what class they want to be?

Plissken
May 15th, 2010, 00:12
Great questions:

Yes, expanded classes are fine with me. Feel free to draw feats from 3.5 books of your choice.

Also:
I have one player who has expressed interest in playing but doesn't have an FG license. Would you guys be willing to use Maptools? If not, that's ok.

Xithren
May 15th, 2010, 04:35
ohh yeah i forgot to mention i just joined this because a friend told me about it and i kinda just jumped into finding a group... i have the free version, do i need something else to play? and yeah i feel real stupid right now....

bcraddock01
May 15th, 2010, 07:10
I am interested and would be willing to play a supporting character in some capacity... perhaps a healer or bard.

MikeParham
May 15th, 2010, 07:55
My current plans include a Kordite Cleric / Dragon Shaman (fellow with lots of attitude and a big sword), or for some plain ole hitting fun, a monk / paladin.

I'm not familiar with Maptool and really prefer the FG2 setup, but might be willing to give it a test drive.

Xithren - unless the GM has the Ultimate version, you will need at least the player client version if we are using FG.

Xithren
May 15th, 2010, 21:16
haha i was talking with one of my old d&d friends trying to convince him to play and he asked me what class i wanted to play (hes a 4e junkie) and i said i was thinking dragon shaman when he suggested i play a dragonborn dragon shaman lol but i tried to explain that we were playing a 3.5e game, t'was funny but yeah back on topic i know dragon shaman start with simple weapon proficiency and medium armor proficiency are they allowed to take feats to allow exotic weapons and heavy armors? ehh if not ill just go with a warlock... but ill miss being a spellcaster without my good ole' pseudodragon
i guess im just rambling on because im so god damned bored..............

*mumble mumble*

Plissken
May 15th, 2010, 22:43
One thing of importance I forgot to mention: Alignment good or neutral ok. Evil, bad.

Also, lets use Maptools. I don't have the ultimate license for FG so xithren can't connect and I've got two other interested players who don't have licenses. Maptools can be confusing at first but easy to use once you get the hang of it.

I'll update more info on how to get started using Maptools later. It has some cool features like lighting and easy to use spell templates.

Right now, we have a full party of six, assuming all will make it to the first session.

Plissken
May 16th, 2010, 03:22
When you've finalized your character decision, just leave a comment stating the character name, race and class.

https://sites.google.com/site/ddbase35/current-party

Xithren
May 16th, 2010, 17:14
alrighty............... man its hard to decide a class race combo that i havn't already played....

so can dragon shaman use weapons other then simple and armor other then medium after taking the feats of course, cant seem to find anything in the PHB's that say they cant.....

MikeParham
May 16th, 2010, 18:06
Of course it's the GM's call, but normally if you take the feat to give access, then you can use the armor/weapon class (physical size and strength restrictions permitting).

Xithren
May 16th, 2010, 20:23
i know this heh but sometimes classes liek the druid have restrictions on what weapons they can use, at first i assumed that this was the case but seeing that it isn't you now have a dwarf dragon shaman in the group :D

Xithren
May 16th, 2010, 21:08
oh and i started using map tools, and ya i really like it but when i load the 3.5e character sheet theres always an error i was wondering if anyone else got this.... and yeah ill mess with it some more but its lookin like it hates me >.>

looks liek im going to have to use the b12 version of chartools but if anyone else can tell me if its an isolated incident then maybe i ****ed up on my part.

Plissken
May 16th, 2010, 22:50
Xithren, don't work on trying to get your character setup in Maptools yet. There's a specific version and campaign file that I'm setting up for all to use that you can create your character in.

I'll post links and directions later.

Xithren
May 17th, 2010, 00:41
i was just messing around with it to get a feel for it

Plissken
May 21st, 2010, 00:25
Hey, all. Here's the instructions on getting setup for Maptools:

https://sites.google.com/site/ddbase35/maptool-setup

Btw, I haven't heard from some of you who expressed interest in a while so if you still are let me know just by posting or PM.

Oh yes, I'm also allowing variant classes from Unearthed Arcana. So, if you want to change what you have it's not too late.

MikeParham
May 21st, 2010, 05:04
I do apologize Plissken but an old friend (Mikker0) has once more taken up DM'ing with a Saturday game, and I would really like to join him and some companions that I've not played with in a bit.

Please open my spot up for another (as the wife wont let me have both Friday and Saturday eves).

I do hope to play with you and some of these other players at a point in the future,

Re's, Mike

Plissken
May 21st, 2010, 07:13
No problem. Maybe another time. Hope you have fun!

KainVorador
May 22nd, 2010, 20:09
Still looking for a DM or player? I can do either.

jcdf
May 22nd, 2010, 22:09
I would like to play. I am a mature gamer. But I have never played this specific game before.

What time zone are you in?