PDA

View Full Version : GM / Gamer Matchmaking / Game Calendar.

Oberoten
April 24th, 2010, 22:17
... a thought just struck me. One way to make money of those who have already bought the product and are pleased using it.

I looked at some PHP scrips as to replace the game calendar for our local group with a match-making script to set people towards different campaigns. Now most of the match-maker-site scripts I have found lets you have a user either as a "normal" member or a VIP.

Couldn't the same be made for a game-match-making system? IE, three levels. Player, GM and VIP. With the finest control being available for VIP, GM's could be able to search and reply to various forms of requests etc.

- Obe

tdewitt274
April 25th, 2010, 02:11
I'm not sure I understand the concept. Is it a "pay service", "PC find GM service" or something other?

I've messed around with concepts for a "match making" db, but never followed through.

Oberoten
April 25th, 2010, 05:28
I am sorry. I wrote that way too late on the evening after a 17 hour workpass.

I envisioned a match-making system in several tiers, basic free services would let you look at maybe prefered game systems, available times and offer a contact through the boards.

... not sure WHY I thought a GM-level would be good. Sleep deprivation maybe?

A premium account would maybe let you see other player's and GM's feedback on a potential new GM/Player.

Or if Doug would really want to make it a cruel sell... Basic Game calender as it stands NOW versus the "Game Matchmaking" service for paying customers? ;)

- Obe

tdewitt274
April 25th, 2010, 14:44
OK, I think I understand now. To use a "dating site" format, you're talking about having a eHarmony type site where you put in information about you and you only see the people that match that certain criteria. Ex, I play 4e, 3.5, and Shadowrun so I only get to see other GMs that run those games.

The "pay" version would be like Match.com that you see everyone that fits the criteria that you choose (which you can change). So, I'd be interested in playing a game of Battletech and I change my search settings to see those people as well.

No offense, but I don't think that the "pay site" option would work well. In my experience as a former store owner, gamers are cheap. However, you could give the "pay site" option to people that have a registered copy of FG. If the Average Joe guy pops onto the website, they can only see people that fit their criteria. I'd also add that the "pay" version would allow communication with other people, where the "free" person has to wait until contacted.

Just some thoughts.

drahkar
April 25th, 2010, 17:24
I was thinking of building an interface that allowed people to join via facebook. But if I was to work on that I'd need to coordinate it with Doug as it would take an sizable amount of development and effort to incorporate it into the game calendar here. Not to mention system checking since it would have to allow and match between the facebook profiles and local accounts. Definitely not a small project. And I'm not even sure if Doug wants to go that direction with it.

Oberoten
April 25th, 2010, 20:21
OK, I think I understand now. To use a "dating site" format, you're talking about having a eHarmony type site where you put in information about you and you only see the people that match that certain criteria. Ex, I play 4e, 3.5, and Shadowrun so I only get to see other GMs that run those games.

Well you'd get to see the systems you put yourself as "interested" in, at the least that was my vision of how it'd work. ;)

My pay-idea for it would be a second set of data that'd be available only for those paying which would include feedback from other players and GM's about that member.

... but as I said. I was pretty tired when I came up with this.

- Obe

cpbs
April 25th, 2010, 20:22
I was looking into this as well, and also gave Doug an example along these lines. Was also looking into a socialized network for just matching up players and GMs for Fantasy Grounds.