PDA

View Full Version : Parsing Difficulty

Gargoyle117
April 24th, 2010, 20:09
Good afternoon everyone.

I am reparsing all the major rule books this weekend, but I am running into a bit of a hiccup. Many of the class features are not parsing out of the compendium. Things like Prime Shot feature or the Orb of Imposition power. I am now starting to manually enter them, but it's very time consuming and the formatting is tricky.

Is there a faster way to parse these out or am I really left with manually entering these things if I want them to show up?

On a similar note, I can't seem to parse out any of the Hybrid class features from the Compendium. I recognize that many of the features are not fully worded in the Hybrid entry, but it would be nice to get a head start. I suspect that I will have to manually type these as well.

Any input or short cuts are greatly appreciated.

Zeus
April 24th, 2010, 20:37
If your scraping and parsing PHB3 content (sounds like you are), then make sure your using the latest version of the Parser (v4.0.56.0). You can download it from here (https://tenian.eugenez.net/Parser).

Hybrids will then work.

Also note, The compendium contains errors for all the level variants of Orb of Imposition. I belive their missing the letter O, hence the errors. Tenian I believe has reported the errors to WotC. I'm not sure why Prime Shot isn't working for you, it's scraped and parses fine for me. Perhaps the newer Parser version will help.

Gargoyle117
April 24th, 2010, 20:54
I originally started this project with the PH3, but have since gone back and am working form the PH onwards.

I have been using the latest version of the parser and have been mostly very pleased with it. Unfortunately I can not get any features for classes at all. The Racial features seem fine, and I have been using them for a template when I manually make the class features.

When I search my powers.txt the phrase "Prime Shot" does not appear at all. The same goes for Staff of Defense. Shouldn't those appear in the .txt file so the parser can actually add them to the .mod file? It seems like everyone is getting significantly different results than I am.

I just finally figured out the syntax that will work for me to add Orb of Imposition to the Features. It was a lot of trial and error. My syntax below:

Orb of Deception Wizard Feature
Once per encounter, you can use your orb of Deception power.

Encounter ?
Free Action Personal
Trigger: When you miss an enemy with a wizard illusion power
Effect: Choose another enemy within 3 squares of the missed target. The chosen enemy cannot also be a target of the original attack. Repeat the attack against this new target, with a bonus to the attack roll equal to your Charisma modifier.
Requirement: You must wield an orb to benefit from this feature.

Tenian
April 24th, 2010, 22:54
It's actually an issue with the way the compendium presents class data. They present the data for a class based on the book the class was initially published in.

For example take the Battle Rager option for fighters. This build was published in Martial Power. However if you search the compendium for class data on Martial Power, you'll get no entries. You need to search for Fighter in Player's Handbook and the Martial Power builds are hidden there.

So for now none of the class data is processed. However you can find all the class data in the compendium if you search hard enough, which saves you the trouble of typing them all in or OCRing them. This includes the hybrid classes.

Gargoyle117
April 24th, 2010, 23:17
Thanks Tenian,

I was kind of suspecting that. Most of the new data only shows up under the class entry, but not when you search for a specific book. I didn't really see how the parser would scrape it out without being written specifically to do so.

I will build up a text file for each book that has a class entry in it, then just manually view the class entry in the Compendium and build the Features into that file. After I re-Scrape a book, I can just paste that file onto the end of the Powers.txt.

So long as I am not doing this the most difficult way, I am content to continue plugging away.

Thanks for the input guys.