PDA

View Full Version : BRP Extension or Mod?

GunnarGreybeard
April 21st, 2010, 00:18
OK, I've been reading through the forums trying to see how this stuff works and can be edited/modified.

My question is what is the best way to go about changing a ruleset to mirror another game system. Would it be best to use an extension?

What I am trying to do is tweak the current BRP Ruleset to be more like the HarnMaster system (they are already very close due to being d100 systems). This means a new skill list (actually only removing some, renaming others and maybe adding a couple) and maybe changing the Stat names and some other cosmetic things to match HarnMaster's naming conventions. I am not looking to totally rewrite it or make it 100% like HarnMaster just have much of the same information showing/displaying to match the HarnMaster rulebook.

I am NOT planning to really use this to run online games but am wanting to use it as the foundation/GM Tool for a Play by Post game to track PC's (their Stats, Skills and equipment mainly), maps, creatures and NPC's. I will be doing all the die rolling and such stuff based on player actions in the play by post.

Any ideas, recommendations or suggestions?

cpbs
April 21st, 2010, 00:26
An extension would work for what you are looking to do, as it changes the ruleset based on the code that is implemented through the extension. This helps out in most cases as if there is any type of patches or updates sent out by Smiteworks through Fantasy Grounds II, they are able to update the ruleset. If you created your own ruleset for HarnMaster, then it would not be able to be updated through Fantasy Grounds II. But if you are just looking to create it as a Play by Post application to keep track of all your information, then I'd say either one would work for what you are looking to do.

Foen
April 21st, 2010, 06:13
BRP was actually designed to be modified using extensions, including changing the characteristic names and adding/removing characteristics (some BRP games use Appearance, others use Charisma, some have Education, others do not). To get an idea of how to do this, download the BRP user guide from the DA store (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/manuals/BasicRoleplayingforFantasyGroundsII-UserGuide.pdf) (it is free, you don't have to buy BRP to download it) and take a look at the third section on extending the ruleset.

Foen