PDA

View Full Version : Can something be done for FUM.com?!

templarghost
April 19th, 2010, 23:29
I thought about the way in which I should bring this up on the forums, but to quote DevinKnight, it seems I'm too not that bright of a guy. So I'll keep things simple.
I played D&D for some 11-12 years now, started slowly, at first with a couple of computer games that I barely even understood, kept playing them obstinately and then I miraculously dicovered a game that came with a leaflet containing a couple of the basic rules regarding D&D character creation, combat and adventuring. So I pretty much devoured it, read it time and time again, each time learning more then the last time.
After a couple more years I started thinking seriously about tabletop gaming and looked up some of the VTT solutions (looks like I was fortunate when starting my query in this specific format and a couple of clicks away I landed on this website).
I watched Xorne's tutorials and at first I was bewildered by the mechanics of the new D&D edition described in them, having played almost exclusively 3.5!
But in the end I decided that it was worth a shot, and after spending a fair bit of time reviewing the demo, I got caught in the whole fever of making my own campaigns an bought a full version. I got the ruleset from FUM and started fiddling with it.

And this is where I wanted to get in the first place, so please forgive my ranting thus far, but it contained a specific detail that I really wanted to convey.
As you can assume I was at a loss the first time I started up the ruleset and did not know what half the controls on the charsheet did. And so I did the first thing that went through my head; I went back to FUM and read through some 20 or so pages of discussions in the group's discussion board (I'm reffering to the D&D 4th Edition Development Group - hope I got the name right, havent been there lately, I'm ashamed to admit).
Some of you might say that it was a drag, reading over all that info, but I reveled in every bit of knowledge that I could find. This way I discovered the parser and was instructed in its use, I learned the basics about running a game and in the end started to see FG in a new, even brighter light than before.
It was like the time I discovered that tiny leaflet all those years ago; I once again found a way to quench my thirst for all things adventurous and it fueled my new-found passion.

Hope that I'm not making a complete fool of myself, but the intention is to present my very personal view on FUM and ask the members of this incredible community if there is anything that can be done for the site.

I also want to make it clear from the start that this is strictly a personal initiative, I have no idea if Devin will endorse it, but somehow I believe that a viable solution can be found to revive and preserve the FUM community.

As a side note, there is something I would like to transmit to Mr. Doug Davison, our esteemed developer.
I noticed that lately there was a certain uprise in advertisment for FG, a trend I want to say that I support fully; what I would like to point out is that for me FUM was the best advertisment for FG. It contained so much info and support that it almost mirrored the FG site.

If you had the fortitude to make it through my sentimentalistic wall of text till this part, then I propose a petition that each willing member of this community can sign, and whenever the people in charge of the forums deem it appropriate a tally will take place and a decision will be made.

I sincerly hope that all who will read this will be sympathetic to this cause and help save FUM from a fate that it does not deserve!

Thank you in advance for your patience and I pray to God that I havent breached any copyright&legal clause by doing this.

ronnke
April 20th, 2010, 00:00
I might be wrong, but I think it comes down to the guys that run FUM, no longer want to maintain it. They want to "retire" so to speak. Anyway, that's the impression I get.

templarghost
April 20th, 2010, 00:16
I believe you are right, but I was simply wondering if there is a way that the site can be given over to someone who has the knowledge and means to maintain it. I wish I could but unfortunately I lack in both these categories and so I can only ask others in regards to a solution.

I'm not trying to coherce anyone in doing anything by means of this thread, I just want to say that all the info gathered on FUM over the course of its existance doesnt deserve to be lost. I also fully understand the wishes of the people who were behind FUM from the beginning and I wish to congratulate them for a job well done.

The basic question is this: Is there a way that FUM can be carried over as part of the FG site or in any other way and if there are people willing to take that responsability? And on the other hand, will the founders of FUM agree to something of the sort?

But before taking this to them as a single user I wanted to see what the FG/FUM (since some of the users on these forums and users of FG were/are users of FUM) community thinks about it.

Once again, I apologize if my post offended anyone, in any way, and am looking forward to your opinions on the matter.

Spyke
April 20th, 2010, 08:18
While I too would love to see FUM continue in some form, or at least its membership migrate to a new home en masse, it would be wrong to move it to the FG site. The point of FUM was to embrace online role-play across all Virtual Tabletops, and the Fantasy Grounds crew was just one part of that. It needs an independent home.

Spyke

Doswelk
April 21st, 2010, 20:57
With Doug splitting out the Forums into Game Specific systems the various FGII aspects can migrate to here, as to people who user other VTTs well I would imagine each VTT has it's own forums?

templarghost
April 21st, 2010, 22:15
I think so, yes! Maybe the data regarding 4e and 3.5 JPG rulesets can be migrated; but I'm also concerned about the aspect Spyke pointed out...FUM was home to discussions on a number of VTTs! Yes, FG2 had a wide coverage there, but Battlegrounds and EpicTable, MapTools and OpenRPG were mentioned and discussed widely.

If the creators of FUM and the administrator of the FG forums (and perhaps the other VTTs featured there) come to an agreement, maybe the knowledge base can be compiled in a number of articles, similar to the User's Manual John Gregory did for 4E and 3.5 a couple of weeks back.

These are only sugestions, but any other ideas could work.

Thanks again for your interest!

GunnarGreybeard
April 22nd, 2010, 06:02
My biggest concern any time a site goes offline is the loss of content that was housed there. Many times it ends up lost forever. If nothing else I would like to see that content archived to a new location/site so at least it would be available should the site re-emerge or be taken up by someone else.

mr_h
April 22nd, 2010, 12:24
Myself and EugeneZ have mentioned on the FUM Forums that if anyone needs a place to host their files, we each have space where we can do it. Hopefully that'll save some things from going missing.

ronnke
April 22nd, 2010, 13:34
Has anyone asked the guys at FUM if they are willing to archive everything database/files and all then hand it over to someone.

devinnight
April 23rd, 2010, 19:12
I'm not making any promises, but a couple guys are working on taking FUM back to just a Forums centric site. It won't have all the bells and whistles, but it will be there, faster and still have a section for downloads and eventually a store for new token releases.

More to come.
-D

templarghost
April 23rd, 2010, 22:42
Great news Sir Devin:) (do forgive me for this little play on words).

I'm glad that my little private initiative regarding the site you took so much time to build didnt upset you or anyone else, and I daresay that, on the contrary, managed to bring some new information to the fore.

Be sure to let us know where we can log in and continue being ugly monsters, we do enjoy it so!

All the best and my deepest gratitude for the work done so far and your willingness to keep the site going, despite the way it might look or interact with it's users.

Great things are often made so by the spirit in which they were started, and the people behind it...and FUM had the best of both at its core!

devinnight
May 4th, 2010, 15:13
FUM is switching back to a more classic FUM.. it's going to be Forums centric with less bells and whistles.
The new forums are functional, but we plan on expanding the site slowly to add additional features.
You will need to reset your password to get logged in.
Thanks.
-D
https://fouruglymonsters.com/forums/index.php

Spyke
May 4th, 2010, 17:22
FUM is switching back to a more classic FUM.. it's going to be Forums centric with less bells and whistles.
The new forums are functional, but we plan on expanding the site slowly to add additional features.
You will need to reset your password to get logged in.
Thanks.
-D
https://fouruglymonsters.com/forums/index.php
Great news.

Spyke

Snikle
June 25th, 2010, 06:51
I am glad to hear the old stuff will not necessarily be lost. At one time, FUM was the neutral site for all VTT users to discuss ideas and encourage further development on this new way to play games.