PDA

View Full Version : 4e Evil Campaign

00Kevin
April 18th, 2010, 23:38
Anyone here interested in playing in campaign where the players are evil?

I was thinking that after I gain some experience with FG2 I might start up a campaign based on Evil characters. The game setting would be in the Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance.

MacLeod
April 19th, 2010, 00:23
I've found evil games to be fun one offs or something, but usually found them to break fairly quickly due to in party backstabbing and betrayal. YMMV

00Kevin
April 19th, 2010, 00:47
I've found evil games to be fun one offs or something, but usually found them to break fairly quickly due to in party backstabbing and betrayal. YMMV

Yes that is very true. I guess the only way to keep it going is with some kind of plot device that keeps the party from killing each other.

Destructonomicon
April 19th, 2010, 02:23
The problem with back stabbing is that people often do it too early, losing out on a massive opportunity. Do you really want to kill your "friend", or is that dragon you don't know about a more pressing issue?

Anyway, an Evil Campaign sounds super fun. I like to think they allow for more, uh, "varied" roleplay instead of the typical "let's-go-a-slayin'!" that all them do-gooders do. With evil characters... there will tension! Do I save this guy now, or let the goblin finish him off? Though, there is that dragon to worry about.

In case you couldn't tell, I'd be interested.

SLB
April 19th, 2010, 03:59
I played in a very successful evil campaign during which there was competition between the characters but no assassinations. I think this was during 2nd edition, we were all Lawful Evil drow and were part of a single community - the premise was that Lolth was allowing a Matriarch an experiment of sorts which was a lawful evil community with specific goals. So, the mandate of a powerful matriarch who hand picked us to acheive her objectives made for a group which competed for her favour but knew that assassination wouldn't be tolerated.

An approach similar to that might prove successful.

PublicJohnDoe
April 19th, 2010, 06:58
I've got two "evil" campaigns under my belt, and both were plenty of fun.

In the first one (a fairly short campaign), we were a group of morally shady characters slowly devolving towards utter evil, led by my character who was a fallen paladin turned mercenary, turned thief, turned blackguard. I had him completely psycho (think Chaotic Evil), but moderately loyal to the group 'cause it was a holy mission of sorts (a powerful demon princess appeared before him and gave the group their mission).

The other (medium-term campaign) was a cold, clinical, calculating evil. An incubus warlock (we're talking about 3.5e warlocks here) who was extremely charming but utterly devoid of any human compassion, using people as pawns for his schemes.

As I said, we had real fun with both campaigns... ah... fond memories ;)

00Kevin
April 19th, 2010, 15:28
I played in a very successful evil campaign during which there was competition between the characters but no assassinations. I think this was during 2nd edition, we were all Lawful Evil drow and were part of a single community - the premise was that Lolth was allowing a Matriarch an experiment of sorts which was a lawful evil community with specific goals. So, the mandate of a powerful matriarch who hand picked us to acheive her objectives made for a group which competed for her favour but knew that assassination wouldn't be tolerated.

An approach similar to that might prove successful.

This is very similar to the idea that I had in mind. Lawful evil would best describe the alignment that players would play. Their motivations would be based on fear and the approval / favour of their lord.

The only major difference is that characters will be performing acts of evil that in some cases far exceed those of the Drow.