PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding demo

00Kevin
April 17th, 2010, 17:00
I just installed the demo to test the FG2 system out, but I was rather disappointed that I had to connect to another players server. From my perspective I just downloaded a demo that doesn't do anything.

Is there anyone out there who would be willing to help me test FG2 out before I buy it?

At this time I'm a bit concerned that there is no feature to work on your character offline.

cpbs
April 17th, 2010, 18:16
You should be able to create you character offline with the demo. Although the only ruleset used is d20, you should still be able to create a character that works "offline".

1st: Start the demo, it should give you three options. "Host a Game as Gamemaster", "Join a Game as Player", "Create and View Local Character".

2nd: Click "Create and View Local Character". There will be a list of rulesets you can choose from to make your characters. The only one available is d20, so highlight it and click start.

3rd: From there the Demo will load, give you six stat blocks in which to create you abilities with die rolls.

4th: To open up a character sheet "offline", Click on the icon in the top right, that looks like three figures grouped together. Once open it should say "Character Selection" and then "Create New Character".

5th: Click "Create New Character" and a character sheet will appear.

If you do not have some general DnD books around you. The demo does come with some SRD information from Wizards of the Coast. To open these books.

1st: Click on the book icon at the top right. It will show two item, "d20 Basic Rules" and "d20 Spells". There should be an icon next to them of a "closed" book. You need to move your mouse over it, and "open" the book. This will open you book in the library.

2nd: Now click on icon on the middle to bottom right side that looks like a stack of books. Click that and the book should show up there. Clicking on them will give you a list of information you can use.

I hope that helps. Most people around here have not kept there demo version or host a demo game for people. But from someone who has had it for over 2 years, this is a great program I know you will learn to love.

Oh and welcome to the forums :D

00Kevin
April 17th, 2010, 18:21
opps.. I think I downloaded the wrong application. The one I downloaded didn't have any of the options you outlined. The only thing it allowed me to do was join a game, upgrade, and add a licence key.

Thank you for your help.

Spyke
April 17th, 2010, 18:26
I just installed the demo to test the FG2 system out, but I was rather disappointed that I had to connect to another players server. From my perspective I just downloaded a demo that doesn't do anything.

Is there anyone out there who would be willing to help me test FG2 out before I buy it?

At this time I'm a bit concerned that there is no feature to work on your character offline.
Can I just check that you understand that FG2 is an application that enables people to connect and play face-to-face pen and paper role-playing games over the internet? It's not a standalone computer game. This is why you'd need to connect to at least one other player to see many of the features in action.

The demo does, though, let you play with the content creation tools, and set up the combat tracker. You can place tokens on maps, and move them around, try out the chat, hotkey and dice functionality, and you can see the features of the character sheets.

If you've played traditional role-playing games, such as D&D, before, this would give you a pretty good idea of what would be possible in a real session.

There is a trick though, if you're not able to hook up with another player, and that is to run the demo twice on the same machine (or two different machines across your home network if you have one). You can then set one up as host and the other as a player (using the internal IP address shown when you launch the host machine), and try out all the features.

Some of the rulesets available for the full version do allow you to set up your character offline and then load it into the game when you first join, and in all rulesets GMs can work on characters offline between sessions. However, because once a campaign begins it is the GM's server copy of the character that is used, none of the rulesets allow players to alter that offline once a game has begun. In practice this doesn't seem to be a problem for most people. They work on their characters before a game starts, or just ask the GM to leave the server up for a bit when they need it.

EDIT: Ninja'd by cpbs... Ignore my first couple of paras, from your later reply it's clear you weren't looking at the demo, and so were understandably confused, but I'll leave them in this post in case someone else has the same problem.

Spyke

00Kevin
April 17th, 2010, 18:32
EDIT: Ninja'd by cpbs... Ignore my first couple of paras, from your later reply it's clear you weren't looking at the demo, and so were understandably confused, but I'll leave them in this post in case someone else has the same problem.

Spyke

Yes thanks anyway. so far everything is working great. I'm having fun making a d20 character.