PDA

View Full Version : Simple Chat Question

Cymric
April 16th, 2010, 15:56
My apologies, as I'm sure I can answer this when I get home, but a buddy and I have been IM'ing about the features and how they will really help what has been a less than regular group.

We've done a fair bit of IM gaming, as we like to capture the game and then fictionalize it into a story afterwards.

So, is the chat in FG II saveable? Is it logged into text anywhere? Basically, at the end of the night, can we capture all that went on in that window?

Thanks!

Czarisyn
April 16th, 2010, 16:02
As long as the GM doesn't clear the window, I believe it saves it in a log file within the Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\campaign\YourGame directory..

Moon Wizard
April 20th, 2010, 21:30
All chat text is saved to a chatlog.html file in the campaign directory. It is maintained in that file until the file is deleted.

The chat window in the application holds the most recent 200 lines in memory, and clearing the window does not affect the file on disk.

Cheers,
JPG

tenkar
April 23rd, 2010, 02:47
I always wondered about the chat log... now I know were to find it. Excellent ;)

Kioma
March 7th, 2012, 05:46
I apologise in advance if this is a foolish question... which is really the generic preface to something that's going to sound dumb, I suppose. Anyway!

I'm using a demo version of the client and I can't find a chatlog.html file where the chat might have been saved. Now, I assume that's because it's a demo version. The demo limitations do mention that campaign sessions aren't saved and I assume that includes the chat.

Is this correct? I'm considering buying FG2 but savable chat logs are on my Must Have feature list.

The other thing is, does this chatlog.html file only save for the GM or do the players get it too?

Griogre
March 7th, 2012, 05:49
Yes, FG generates an html chat log. The chat log is only saved on the GM's computer though.

Kioma
March 7th, 2012, 05:53
Yes, FG generates an html chat log. The chat log is only saved on the GM's computer though.

Thanks, Griogre. That's one question down!

My original one, though, was whether I can't find it because the demo version doesn't save it? Or should it be present in the demo version as well, and I'm just not seeing it?

Griogre
March 7th, 2012, 06:03
I don't have the demo installed so I can't tell for sure and I haven't really messed with the demo since FG1, however I think you are correct. I don't think the demo saves anything. Normally the file is in the campaign directory in data apps.

Kioma
March 7th, 2012, 06:06
Yeah, that's what I thought. Okay! Good good. Pleased to know it wasn't a PEBKAC issue. Thanks for your help!

lachancery
March 7th, 2012, 07:29
My original one, though, was whether I can't find it because the demo version doesn't save it? Or should it be present in the demo version as well, and I'm just not seeing it?
Don't have the demo version either, but if it does save the chatlog, it will be located in the directory when your campaign files are - the same directory as the db.xml for your campaign.

On windows 7, the path is:

C:\Users\my_windows_userid\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\campaigns\my_campaign_name

Moon Wizard
March 7th, 2012, 16:36
The chat log is only saved while hosting a game with a licensed version of FG.

Regards,
JPG

Kioma
March 7th, 2012, 16:42
The chat log is only saved while hosting a game with a licensed version of FG.

Regards,
JPG

Bingo! That's what I was thinking. Excellent! No PEBKAC error. Thanks very much, JPG!

ddavison
March 7th, 2012, 17:32
Here is a sample of a game chat-log during combat, when players are communicating mostly via Skype or Vent. This is from a higher powered D&D 4E game so it obviously has lots of stuff going on during each turn, lots of effects going into effect and expiring, etc.

For a more text chat based game, you'd see the various boxed text and player emotes and dialog going back and forth.

[TURN] Kyllar
Hsara -> [SAVE] Saving Throw [1d20 = 13]
Effect ['Slowed'] -> [EXPIRED] [on Hsara]
Saving throw [13] -> [for Hsara] [VS 'Slowed'] [SUCCESS*]
Kyllar -> [ATTACK (M)] Escape Artist’s Gambit (vs. AC) [CRIT 18] [40] [1d20+23 = 40]
Attack [40] -> [at Bonechill Chimera 2] [HIT]
Effect ['DMG: 3d6'] -> [to Kyllar] [by Kyllar]
Effect ['DMG: 3d6'] -> [EXPIRED] [on Kyllar]
Kyllar -> [DAMAGE (M)] Escape Artist’s Gambit [EFFECTS 3d6] [25] [5d4+10 = 25]
Damage [25] -> [to Bonechill Chimera 2]
Kyllar -> Power [Escape Artist’s Gambit] [std]
[TURN] Ice Archon Rimehammer 2
Ice Archon Rimehammer 2 -> [ATTACK (M)] *Maul (vs. AC) [39] [1d20+22 = 39]
Attack [39] -> [at Hsara] [HIT]
Ice Archon Rimehammer 2 -> [DAMAGE] Maul [TYPE: untyped (2D+7=15)] [TYPE: cold (1D=2)] [17] [3d6+7 = 17]
Damage [17] -> [to Hsara]
Effect ['Slowed'] -> [to Hsara] [by Ice Archon Rimehammer 2]
[TURN] Hades
Hades -> [ATTACK (R)] Eldritch Blast (vs. Ref) [34] [1d20+21 = 34]
Attack [34] -> [at Bonechill Chimera 2] [HIT]
Hades -> [DAMAGE (R)] Eldritch Blast [21] [1d10+14 = 21]
Damage [21] -> [to Bonechill Chimera 2]
Hades -> [DAMAGE] Warlock’s Curse (Greater) [2] [2d6 = 2]
Damage [2] -> [to Bonechill Chimera 2] [DYING]
Campaign saved.
GM: Five small rubies (25g each), golden compass, ring*, soul ring*, 3 potions, 4 plate armor, 4 maul
GM: 7 gems (5000g each)
GM: Party taking extended rest
Campaign saved.

Note that this is also in HTML, so you have tags that can be parsed out to clean it up and present it back in a more readable fashion if you want. It is a nice way to remember exactly how much damage someone did with a massive attack though. ;)

wbcreighton
March 9th, 2012, 18:34
One task I usually do after a session is to rename the chatlog.html file (adding a date to the name) so that each session has a new chat file. It makes finding information in the chatlog alot easier, otherwise you'll be looking through 30 or 40 sessions worth of chat log to find the info you need. :)