PDA

View Full Version : Question...

Blue Haven
April 16th, 2010, 12:31
Hi to all :)
Well i want to ask one thing...as the new Teamspeak went out and its full of great stuff and its very cool...why not create a server for Fantasy Grounds...? and connect the server with the web page so with this we have a chat and a way to talk with everyone online...and its free ;)
What the devs think about that...?
Thanks

Czarisyn
April 16th, 2010, 12:42
Hi to all :)
Well i want to ask one thing...as the new Teamspeak went out and its full of great stuff and its very cool...why not create a server for Fantasy Grounds...? and connect the server with the web page so with this we have a chat and a way to talk with everyone online...and its free ;)
What the devs think about that...?
Thanks

Probably because the license for the free server says that it can only be used for personal use and any commercial use (i.e. creating a server for customers) would require a commercial license purchase.

drahkar
April 16th, 2010, 12:45
Not to mention the cost for maintaining the bandwidth for the large userbase for FGII.

cpbs
April 16th, 2010, 14:09
Although Smiteworks would have to buy a commercial
license someone on the forum could start one as a personal use and invite everyone here. Kind of like how we have a wiki hosted by someone else othere then smiteworks.

mr_h
April 16th, 2010, 15:01
I have been planning on setting up a Mumble server on my personal server. If there was enough demand, I was going to open it up to allow other people to use.

I don't know how much bandwidth it would take up, but I'm sure folks could use it for their games.

(I had one setup before, but the default Mumble setup for Ubuntu was an old version, I have to redo it manually for a newer version).

Czarisyn
April 16th, 2010, 15:04
Unless you have a T1 or better, making a public Teamspeak server would drain your bandwidth (depending on the selected Codec) quickly.

Trust me, my old guild from WoW had a TS server they were renting, it went down and I started my private one as a backup. Just 25 people on my cable modem (at the time, I now have Fiber :D ) caused me to go back to 56k type connection speed.

Just Skype it, create a contact group for those contacts you get from the forums, and you should be done.

Blue Haven
April 16th, 2010, 15:14
Unless you have a T1 or better, making a public Teamspeak server would drain your bandwidth (depending on the selected Codec) quickly.

Trust me, my old guild from WoW had a TS server they were renting, it went down and I started my private one as a backup. Just 25 people on my cable modem (at the time, I now have Fiber :D ) caused me to go back to 56k type connection speed.

Just Skype it, create a contact group for those contacts you get from the forums, and you should be done.

Yeah i had this idea because of wow server too :p lol about the license i didnt notice that part about the commercial use...sorry my mistake...but like cpbs said if they rent a server it would be very cool too...and with the new look and interface of this version (TS3) it would rock! ;)