PDA

View Full Version : Against the Giants & Descent into the Earth

Glympy
April 13th, 2010, 16:29
Hello Everyone

Still working on inputing modules into FG2 but I can only find these in 1st edition D&D...... first edition just isnt as user friendly as the latter versions.

G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief
G2 Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl
G3 Hall of the Fire Gian King
D1 Descent into the depths of the Earth
D2 Shrine of the Kuo-Toa
D3 Vault of the Drow
Q1 Queen of the Demon Web Pits

Does anyone know if these were ever remade for 2nd edition or beyond. IT would be so much easier if I could get access to these. If you have an links let meknow. you can also email me

[email protected]

leozelig
April 13th, 2010, 21:56
I believe they updated the Giants series for 3.5 edition. I don't have a link for the module itself, but the map gallery at Wizards of the Coast (the old map gallery from before 4th edition) has maps for the modules. You might be able to google it or whatever and find the modules.

The 4th edition adventure 'Revenge of the Giants' was somewhat of a tribute to that series, although it really has nothing to do with those modules other than some similarities in the storyline... I know that's not really what you're looking for, but might be of interest anyway.

tdewitt274
April 14th, 2010, 04:49
I believe they updated the Giants series for 3.5 edition.

AtG 3.x (https://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19557486/Against_the_Giants_series_for_3.5e?pg=1)

Unfortunately with WotC pulling back their PDFs, I think the only way to do it is to port the original dead tree versions.

Glympy
April 14th, 2010, 12:07
If anyone has these I would really love to get my hands on them or if someone could find a workable link. I have been searching the web for a few days now with no luck. I also couldnt find the maps which were suppose to be on the WOTC web site. :cry:

SLB
April 15th, 2010, 05:46
This thread https://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19708834/4e_Against_the_Giants&post_num=35#335554818 on the Wizard's community board has links to the three Giants maps re-released, notes from two articles discussing the R&D folks updating the module to 3.5 (I think) and information on how to update the module for 4E.

Hope that helps.

TheMetal1
April 15th, 2010, 14:01
TSR took all the individual modules and combined them later on into a large collection called Queen of Spiders. It includes G1-G3; D1-D3; and Q1 It was published in 1986, and I think 2nd edition AD&D came around 1989 or so.

There was a remake of it in 1999 for Against the Giants called Against the Giants: Liberation of Geoff (https://www.amazon.com/Against-Giants-Liberation-Anniversary-adventure/dp/0786914130). It was a reprint of the G-series with some added stuff, since it is post 1989 it is likely set up for 2nd Edition stuff, though I don't know for sure as I've never played it. The link above is where it can be found at amazon.

While not a re-print of the D-series or Q1, WOTC did a take on the Drow that you could incorporate and pull some stats pulled from for D&D 3.5. It's called called Expedition to the Demonweb Pits and covers a trip to the Underdark.

Hackmaster did a take on a few of these modules - Annihilate the Giants and Descent into the Netherdepths. They also did a take on the slavers modules called Smackdown the Slavers. These might give you some alternate stats to look at as well.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Glympy
April 15th, 2010, 16:17
Awesome thank you both very much!

Griogre
April 24th, 2010, 21:04
In some of the final Dungeons before WotC pulled Dungeon back in house there was a short 10-12th level three module adventure path called Istivin (Dungeon #117-9). This adventure was set after the G, D, & Q series. The module uses the "Against the Giants" version's background. There was a city background in Dungeon 117 - "Istivin: City of Shadows" and the first module "Touch of the Abyss". "Shadow of the Abyss" was in Dungeon 118 and "Wrath of the Abyss" in 119.

I played in the first module and ran a version of the whole series as the last 3.5 campaign I ran before switching to 4E. It was a short, fun, but very lethal path for my players. Players who have run through the earlier series will probably like it, but they would most likely need to run different characters because of probably characters that had done the prior adventures would be higher level than this adventure path is set for.