PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age and Fantasy Grounds: A Question...

Benjpeters
April 11th, 2010, 13:37
I posted this another forum, but it appears that this is the place to post now in regards to new rulesets.
What would it take to get a Dragon Age RPG ruleset for Fantasy Grounds II? Is there one currently being developed?
I thought I would try and make it on my own, for personal use, but the guide on the FGII website is computer jargon to me. Is there anything that could walk me through creating a ruleset step-by-step for dummies?

Thanks.

EugeneZ
April 11th, 2010, 19:23
I'm no ruleset expert (far from it), but I've made some custom modifications and additions to the 4e ruleset for personal use. Minor stuff. But the impression I've gotten is that FG2 ruleset development is not for the light-of-heart. It requires intermediate knowledge of either Lua or some other programming language (you'll still have to learn Lua, but knowing how programming languages work makes Lua simple in comparison). Furthermore, you'll need to learn XML and how to develop with an XML-mindset -- I find myself constantly having to remember that FG2 uses XML heavily. Whether it's because you're building out or modifying GUIs or dealing with non-volatile storage (which is done in XML in FG2), it's something you always need to understand to a certain degree.

I don't think FG2 ruleset creation was ever designed to be "for dummies." That said, I think it might be a great introduction to programming and design if you are so inclined. If the guides are jargon, I recommend as your first step looking up the definitions of things you don't understand. If you have specific questions, I don't doubt there are many talented coders here who would love to help.

As for any specific guides, I haven't seen any. The FG2 docs have been enough for me.

drahkar
April 12th, 2010, 11:30
EugeneZ is spot on. Ruleset development is a major undertaking. To properly build a ruleset you have to take time to not only understand XML and Lua, but also how they are used in this engine and the functionality of the existing code.

Creating a cookie-cutter ruleset with a character sheet for whatever system you are planning to use is fine, but you could do that as an extension without having to go through the other pains. If you are truly going to make a ruleset you need to learn how things like the Combat tracker work in code as well as the chat interface and the modifier code. That way you can integrate them all together. Then you should also consider what added features you want to work into the ruleset to make using it that much better for the individuals who are looking for it.

These are all things to consider when you start tossing around the idea of making a ruleset.

Benjpeters
April 12th, 2010, 17:47
Well, that's good to know. Thanks for your responses. I guess I'll just have to wait for someone who knows what they're doing to create a Dragon Age RPG ruleset.
I hope it's sooner rather than later.

sehmerus
August 16th, 2010, 22:09
I too would also like to see a ruleset for Dragon Age RPG. its a nice and simple system and doesnt seem like it would be hard to do at all

Id be willing to offer anyone who wanted to try and make the ruleset a free pdf copy of the game.

i think the hardest part of the ruleset will be seperating one of the D6 rolls to be the Dragon DICE. perhaps you would need to roll 2d6 then 1d6 and the 1d6 would always be the dragon dice.

but you would need to make the ruleset know to add up the total of all 3 dice rolled.

anyhoo Im looking forward to it, If anyone finds any homebrew rulesets feel free to let me know contact me at drussell@mythrilhand (dot com)

thanks.

Stitched
August 16th, 2010, 22:32
Or you could simplify and just read the 3rd dice of 3d6 as the "Dragon Dice".

I was messing around with the D20_JPG rules and had the dice rolling for Dragon Age working (rolling 3d6 is used almost for every "check" in the game) and had a comparison running on the dice as well (check for pairs, reporting back number of Stunt points if roll was a Success).

I will hopefully have time to dig into this more as I try to map out all the core rules and what I need to implement, in terms of mechanics. Once I do that, I can look over the D20 ruleset and see what I can "borrow", what I can "modify" and what I can discard.

It will tie nicely into an ongoing ruleset tutorial I have been contemplating - this time with pictures.

I too would also like to see a ruleset for Dragon Age RPG. its a nice and simple system and doesnt seem like it would be hard to do at all

Id be willing to offer anyone who wanted to try and make the ruleset a free pdf copy of the game.

i think the hardest part of the ruleset will be seperating one of the D6 rolls to be the Dragon DICE. perhaps you would need to roll 2d6 then 1d6 and the 1d6 would always be the dragon dice.

but you would need to make the ruleset know to add up the total of all 3 dice rolled.

anyhoo Im looking forward to it, If anyone finds any homebrew rulesets feel free to let me know contact me at drussell@mythrilhand (dot com)

thanks.