PDA

View Full Version : what skills could i learn to contribute to the FG GURPS toolset

marcus_egan
April 11th, 2010, 06:41
is there a particular scripting language that I could learn to be able to modify and contribute to the GURPS mechanics for FG?

Foen
April 11th, 2010, 11:34
Rulesets are constructed in XML with Lua scripting. The canon for the Lua language is at www.lua.org. In case you're wondering, it isn't an acronym (L-U-A) but is pronounced loo-ah and is (apparently) Portugese for 'moon'.

marcus_egan
April 11th, 2010, 15:40
excellent. I actually am sort of familiar with that already.

I have a few books, I'll get crackin on that.

thanks.

joeru
April 12th, 2010, 07:14
I'm not certain what you mean in your first post by the reference to "GURPS mechanics," but you should note that the lack of extensive automation in the ruleset is due to the SJ Games online policy (https://www.sjgames.com/general/online_policy.html), in particular the following part:

Run a game of GURPS, Toon or In Nomine on an online chat system, with a Game Master?
Yes; as we see it now, that's really no different from running a game for your friends in your living room. Anything more than a character creation game aid is a problem, because at that point it's not just like a game in your living room; it's more like a "computer game."

marcus_egan
April 12th, 2010, 14:04
thanks for your response.

I have nothing but respect for SJ games and I will, of course, not do anything with their name or products that doesn't conform to their legal policy.

Spyke
April 12th, 2010, 19:20
If there's something you'd particularly like to see in the GURPS ruleset, let me know, Marcus. There are also some things that might work well built into an extension, which you could have fun doing. That sort of thing would include additional sheets for items that users would only need for a particular sort of a game, like Spaceship templates.

Bear in mind, though, that automating the dice rolls from the character sheet is specifically ruled out by the online policy. One thing we could do though, which I've tried but run into problems with, is to provide a generic extension that would allow the rolling of dice against a target number. FG would still need the current dice modifier box (as GURPS damage uses that mechanism) but could also have a second box that set the target, or a way of altering the behaviour of the current box when required.

Spyke

marcus_egan
April 12th, 2010, 19:49
You know, everything is all so new to me and I'm mostly just amazed at how capable the existing tool-set is. Being able to import character from GCA into FG is huge.

Spaceship templates, would, no doubt, be really cool.

I think a better question in all this, however, is what can I do to help out your project(s) or idea(s) Graham?

I worked on a game that used Lua for some audio event scripting so it's beneficial that I learn it anyway. Perhaps I should just hit the books for a bit and get back to you. But if you have a project in mind, it might give me an interesting goal to works toward in my study.

marcus_egan
April 14th, 2010, 04:27
ok. i finally have something constructive to add.

The first limitation of the GURPS GCA to FG app is that I seem to be unable to import NPC's if it "can't find an unused NPC slot."

I can create new NPC's within FG (within the same campaign) so it's not a big deal but to be able to import as many full fledged NPC's as I'd like would be great.

marcus_egan
April 14th, 2010, 05:27
ok, so i just reached a limit of NPC's i can create within FG now.

is that just a limitation of the app?

edit: nope. i was wrong. I need to go to bed.

to clarrify: I can still create NPC's within FG but I am not able to import from GCA anymore because I'm out of "npc slots."

Spyke
April 14th, 2010, 21:46
to clarrify: I can still create NPC's within FG but I am not able to import from GCA anymore because I'm out of "npc slots."
This is confusing me, Marcus, as I'm not sure what you mean by NPC slots. You ought to be able to have as many NPCs as you want. Where are you actually seeing the error, in FG or in my GCA to FG program?

Spyke

marcus_egan
April 15th, 2010, 04:39
sorry, i was kind of drunk last night.

I'm seeing that error in the GCA to FG app. I try to import an NPC right now and it tells me "can't find an unused NPC slot."

i figured it was just a limit on the FG app but it's confusing to me how I'm still able to create NPC's within FG.

Spyke
April 15th, 2010, 19:40
sorry, i was kind of drunk last night.

I'm seeing that error in the GCA to FG app. I try to import an NPC right now and it tells me "can't find an unused NPC slot."

i figured it was just a limit on the FG app but it's confusing to me how I'm still able to create NPC's within FG.
Ah. I coded in a limit of 15 NPCs. I'll check whether there was a reason for that, but that may have been a debug thing.

It certainly looks as if I can set the limit much higher. I'll check and if it's OK I'll upload a revised version.

Spyke

Spyke
April 15th, 2010, 20:53
OK, I've uploaded a new version, v0.31, of GCAtoFG2.exe to www.spyke.me.

This changes the NPC limit to 99,999, which should match the available ID tags in the FG2 code.

Let me know if you have any issues. As always, please take a backup of your FG2 campaigns before you use this, just in case.

Spyke

marcus_egan
April 15th, 2010, 21:31
dude...

Thank you very much!

marcus_egan
April 16th, 2010, 00:09
the dwnload link appears to be broken at the moment.

Spyke
April 16th, 2010, 07:40
the dwnload link appears to be broken at the moment.
That's odd. I tested it before I posted and it's working again this morning. Hopefully it was just a glitch on my ISP's server. Please could you try it again?

In the meantime I've attached it here (it's only 114 kB).

Spyke

marcus_egan
April 16th, 2010, 14:18
you da man, Spyke.

SGRaaize
April 16th, 2010, 19:16
Rulesets are constructed in XML with Lua scripting. The canon for the Lua language is at www.lua.org. In case you're wondering, it isn't an acronym (L-U-A) but is pronounced loo-ah and is (apparently) Portugese for 'moon'.

This is entirely useless to the discussion at hand, but I would like to confirm that Lua is pronnounced "loo-ah" (with a feint h) and does indeed mean "Moon" in Portuguese

The more you know...

Spyke
April 16th, 2010, 19:38
This is entirely useless to the discussion at hand, but I would like to confirm that Lua is pronnounced "loo-ah" (with a feint h) and does indeed mean "Moon" in Portuguese

The more you know...
Well I never...

Spyke