PDA

View Full Version : More questions from the new guy.

Dregar
April 8th, 2010, 00:17
Hi,

Still more new guy questions. :)
1. How do rulesets work? Does only the DM/Host have to have it purchased or do you need to have all your players purchase it as well?
2. Is there a fixed version of the 3.5 ruleset coming out to fix the issues that are known with it currently? I read in another thread that might be the case, but haven't heard any confirmation.
3. If I have an adventure written in 3.5 ruleset is it possible to play it with the d20_jpg ruleset? How would I go about making that happen?

Thanks to all those out there for passing on their knowledge.

Moon Wizard
April 8th, 2010, 15:08
Here are some answers to your questions.

1. Rulesets are only required for the host. The clients will download a cached version to use for your game as needed.

2. I am working on a merger on my d20_JPG ruleset with the 3.5E ruleset, which should resolve most of the issues people are having with the 3.5E ruleset. I plan to make it compatible with both previous d20_JPG and 3.5E campaigns, so I would use the d20_JPG ruleset for now.

3. In the d20_JPG ruleset, there is a base.xml file where there are XML tags which specify which rulesets that the d20_JPG ruleset can import from. I'm not positive whether the data formats are identical, but you can try adding 3.5E to the list of importable module types to see how it works.

Cheers,
JPG

Dregar
April 8th, 2010, 20:21
I edited the tags as you said moonwizard and am now able to atleast open modules i have created using the 3.5E ruleset from before.

Thanks for the info!

As always, I have another question....

Situation: I started to develop a campaign using the 3.5E ruleset and got 1/2 way through before i realized how awesome the d20_jpg ruleset was. My players are 1/2 way through the campaign (which is yet unfinished) and I would like to the new ruleset. I have edited the tag in the campaign database to indicate d20_jpg instead of 3.5E. That has worked so far. What I would really like to do is have a base campaign d20_jpg ruleset and just import the completed modules (as you described in your video) thus preventing me from having to transfer character data etc when the next campaign begins.

So.....

1. How do I transfer all of the character data over to the new campaign?
2. I need to move over their notes as well.
3. Anything else i would need to transfer over to make this work?

Thanks.

Griogre
April 12th, 2010, 03:19
You could edit the XML but probably the easiest way it to start FG and create a new campaign where you want the characters to be. Close FG and then copy the db.xml from the old campaign to the new one, overwriting the empty db in the new campaign. Then just go in and delete anything you don't want.