PDA

View Full Version : traditional newbie question

ademnus
April 7th, 2010, 00:03
Ok, ive scoured through various attempts to explain this to newbies, and im just still a bit confuzzled. Lets see if I can word this well enough to get clarification for me and others who are in the same conundrum.

This concerns the 3 licenses; lite, full and ultimate.

I want to GM the games, my 2 friends want to be players. No one else will play, nor either of them ever GM.

I'm thinking this means I need a full license, and they need 2 lites?

If so, how do we play the game? They connect to my IP address? Where does Ultimate come into play?

It almost looks like Ultimate is what I need to actually host the game on my computer. If so, what is full for?

Trying to figure out quite what we each need to get up and running is confusing.

mr_h
April 7th, 2010, 00:27
Ok, ive scoured through various attempts to explain this to newbies, and im just still a bit confuzzled. Lets see if I can word this well enough to get clarification for me and others who are in the same conundrum.

This concerns the 3 licenses; lite, full and ultimate.

Easiest way for me to explain it:
Lite: Player Character ONLY.
Full: GM & Player Character
Ultimate: A Full License that allows unlimited # of players to connect without necessarily needing to own the software themselves.

I want to GM the games, my 2 friends want to be players. No one else will play, nor either of them ever GM.

I'm thinking this means I need a full license, and they need 2 lites?

At minimum, yes. Or you could get 1 Ultimate license and they could connect to you without having to buy their own. (If they bought Full licenses, they could connect to you as well...something I recommend at least if they think they ever might GM)

If so, how do we play the game? They connect to my IP address?

Yup, or you generate an alias and they can connect to that...but IP works just fine.

Where does Ultimate come into play?

It almost looks like Ultimate is what I need to actually host the game on my computer. If so, what is full for?

A Full License lets you GM and Play, but in order for someone to connect to you for a game, they need to have a license themseves.
An Ultimate license does the same, but the connecting players do not need to own any license.

Trying to figure out quite what we each need to get up and running is confusing.

Hope this helps a lil :)

ademnus
April 7th, 2010, 00:47
it does indeed and thanks a lot! Players still barraging me with questins about this hehe.

How secure is this? Will we be effectively using your servers to connect? Is there a fee associated with that? How does this alias work?

mr_h
April 7th, 2010, 01:31
I honestly don't know what the security is like on the stuff, it's mostly just transmitting images and text anyhow, no passwords and the like.

The Alias thing, I'm not 100% certain how it works, but I guess what the GM does is generate an alias (There's a button on his screen) and I suppose FG's server matches that to an IP Address. You can change the alias if you like.

With FG there's no real 'using another server to connect'. It might just point from one to the other, but that's all. And there's no fees what so ever for connection.

/doesn't work for FG
//just likes their product
///likes slashies too

ademnus
April 7th, 2010, 01:32
bless you once again sire

Griogre
April 7th, 2010, 17:55
mr_h is correct. The alias server just match makes, noting the host's current external TCP/IP address and giving it to the clients who are trying to connect to his alias.

In the event the alias server is down, your players can still connect via direct IP address.