PDA

View Full Version : If you were open to the possibility of playing in a GURPS campaign...?

marcus_egan
April 1st, 2010, 05:21
which world would you prefer?

A Banestorm game centered around Caithness or a Reign of Steel game?

I'm going to put one of these two together, I'd have fun with either one. If you were potentially going to consider playing in such a game and can work around a Pacific or Mountain TZ GM, let me know.

Thanks.

+++++
April 1st, 2010, 06:33
Mind giving some details on both for us un-initiated?

marcus_egan
April 1st, 2010, 06:51
ah, my bad.

Banestorm is the fantasy world originally created by Steve Jackson eons ago that has been updated just recently.

https://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/banestorm/

I've recently been bitten with the fantasy bug and I would love to do a game in this world. My idea would be to start it off in Caithness, which is an independent frontier province made up of multiple different land holdings. The characters would begin as young members of a militia. Caithness is a low mana area, so to begin it would be gritty medieval combat.

After an introduction to the world, all sorts of really cool **** will go down, of course ; )

My world will be mostly low fantasy where magic is rare, powerful and controlled in most areas.

Now, Reign of Steel is the 3rd edition book which describes near future world where the robots have taken over. It's an extremely well done book, there is a ton of variety in the world as there are multiple AI's that govern their geography as they choose.

https://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/reignsteel/

This game would begin in Zone London (which is essentially all of the former British Isles and Greenland) which is one of the last zones where Humans aren't actively hunted by their AI overseer. This would begin similarly to the fantasy game as the group would be a local militia defending from terrorism from other AI's who disagree with London's human policy.

And, like the fantasy game, after that introduction, all sorts of crazy cool **** goes down.

Spyke
April 1st, 2010, 07:46
Both good settings...

Marcus, would you be thinking of running Reign of Steel in GURPS 4e, or keeping it in 3rd edition? The FG ruleset at the moment is 4e, but various people have asked me to work on a 3e version. Free time, though is, as ever, an issue.

Spyke

marcus_egan
April 1st, 2010, 07:48
sup Spyke

It would definitely be 4e

mr_h
April 1st, 2010, 13:55
If I had to choose between the two, I'd say Reign of Steel. There's enough Fantasy games out there...it'd be nice to have something a lil different.

(Can't promise I could play, my schedule could get very hectic in the near future)
((still hoping to restart his WWII game))

SGRaaize
April 1st, 2010, 14:14
I would gladly join the Banestorm game (Can get the two necessary books no prob), however, I never played Pen and Paper RPG's before (Due to my location) and I don't have a Mic

If that's no problem, I can join at almost any time Pacific as long as its on Fri/Sat or this next week (due to holidays)

marcus_egan
April 1st, 2010, 17:51
Thanks for your responses.

MR_H - I think you've confirmed my prediction that people might be more interested in the ROS setting because there aren't very many games out there.

SGRaiize - You want to be my first official player? You're the first person to show interest and it's no problem at all that you don't have much experience. I don't have much experience as a GM, so we can learn simultaneously.

I'm currently in Mountain TZ but will be moving to the West Coast in about a month.

Let me know man.

SGRaaize
April 1st, 2010, 18:04
Yep, it seems like I'm your official first player, then
I am reading the GURPS 4th Edition Basic Set at the moment, this thing is very complex, but very interesting and entertaining, a friend told me a little more about Banestorm, and I'm even more interested now

Your timezone is 8 hours less than mine, which is very bothersome, but its still possible:

Week Days: 8 AM to 3 PM
Friday: 8 AM to 9 PM PST
Saturday: 4 AM to 9 PM PST
Sunday: 4 AM to 3 PM PST

This next week and the rest of this week is an exception, where every single day is like Saturday, due to holidays (But I doubt you'l get a game ready till then, so it doesn't matter)

Fits with you?

Edit: Noticed now that you will only change to PST in a month, so, until then, all hours change +1

marcus_egan
April 1st, 2010, 18:08
Outstanding! Welcome aboard.

We will most likely game on weekend afternoons. Please know that I just discovered this site about 4 days ago so I'm not ready to run this yet. I will need of least a week or two of prep time.

check you pm's

SGRaaize
April 1st, 2010, 18:10
Great :D
Look forward to it

marcus_egan
April 1st, 2010, 23:41
so my first commitment was from an interested Banestorm player. I'm starting the preliminary work tonight.

Anybody else out there interested? This will not be your typical fantasy game.

+++++
April 2nd, 2010, 00:07
I'll play depending on the day/time. Didn't see one mentioned. I know a guy who would like to play GURPS as well.

marcus_egan
April 2nd, 2010, 02:18
right on man, I have just started seriously working on this. I hope to have something ready soon.

The best times for me will usually be weekend afternoons/evenings. My first player volunteer lives in Portugal (FG is bad ***) so scheduling might be a challenge but I would definitely be more than happy to have you and your friend participate as well.

Would weekend afternoons work for you on a bi-weekly basis? We're running DH on Sunday afternoons, right? perhaps we could alternate weekends or something. Let me know holmes

edit:
I'm also open to running sessions on separate days for people. And then combine the groups to a session when stars align

marcus_egan
April 2nd, 2010, 23:27
just got the Full license. this is on