PDA

View Full Version : discovering this site has re-ignited my interest for GURPS and gaming in general

marcus_egan
March 28th, 2010, 15:29
Hello,

I plan to purchase the full version of this software. I haven't consistently gamed on a table in 4-5 years now. I've really missed it.

I am mostly interested in running/playing in a GURPS 4edition or D&D 4e game. I consider myself a very cerebral player who mostly enjoys the story but who also loves a good battle.

Gaming to me is like a novel where everyone on the table is unsure of what's going to happen next. PC rpg's just can't come close.

Are there any GURPS or 4e groups out there in need of players?

Also, once I put together my campaign, would there be interest in a GURPS fantasy game in the Banestorm universe?

This software really seems revolutionary to me, I'm very excited about the possibilities.

Thanks.

lokibee
March 28th, 2010, 16:21
Also try Savage Worlds its a really good system. I too found this place bought the software and got back into gaming you arnt alone hehe

Spyke
March 28th, 2010, 21:18
What timezone are you in, Marcus? Advertising that will help you gather a set of players.

Spyke

Spyke
March 28th, 2010, 21:21
Also, if you've not seen, it, pop over to this thread:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12021

May be a chance for some GURPS there, too.

Spyke

Aracon
March 28th, 2010, 22:14
I was skeptical about using FG to play at first, but now I am a convert.

Well worth your investment.

Aracon
March 28th, 2010, 22:15
maps are a bit clunky and it takes some getting used to on details on how to do things, but overall, if you read the manuals and watch the tutorials you will find FG is a great way to RP.

marcus_egan
March 28th, 2010, 23:09
thanks to everyone for their responses.

lokibee - I have not heard of Savage Worlds, I'll have to check that out. I've read mixed things about 4e D&D and I haven't invested in any of the new books yet.

Spyke - First off, thanks for making the GURPS custom rule-set for this app. The existence of that sealed the deal for me to give this a go.

My current time zone is MountainUSA but I'll be moving to the West Coast in about a month. I'd like to think I could play the occasional game at an odd hour if the TZ difference is extreme.

Aracon - I admit that the demo was kind of confusing but seeing examples on this site of where you can go with the program, I was sold.

Spyke
March 29th, 2010, 09:04
Spyke - First off, thanks for making the GURPS custom rule-set for this app. The existence of that sealed the deal for me to give this a go.
I'm glad to hear that, thanks. :D

I agree about Savage Worlds, as well. While it doesn't replace GURPS for me as my system of choice for role-playing with depth, Savage Worlds does seem to suit play through Fantasy Grounds very well. It's an easy system to pick up and because there are plenty of commecial modules available for FG, and these tend to be short adventures that take only a few sessions to play, there are plenty of games around to join.

Spyke

marcus_egan
March 29th, 2010, 14:40
I'm going to pick up a SW basic rulebook asap, it looks intriguing. I like how they don't nickel and dime you like WoTC.

and Spyke, can i get in on your GURPS game?!

Spyke
March 29th, 2010, 15:15
... and Spyke, can i get in on your GURPS game?!
You could if I had one... ;)

I tend to run one-shots, when my schedule permits. You're welcome to join in on one of those. And I really must get one set up, as I think that's three people who've asked in the last couple of months, which is enough for a game.

I'm a bit busy during April though, travelling a lot for work which puts me behind hotel firewalls so I can't GM (without mucking about with Himachi). :(

Spyke

marcus_egan
March 29th, 2010, 21:22
definitely keep me in mind when you run another session.

Once I get my game up and running, I'll give you a holler ; )