PDA

View Full Version : The FG-Wiki

Oberoten
March 28th, 2010, 04:13
The FG-wiki has been very erratic lately when it comes to connection, I have upgraded the firmware to the router/modem and it now seems as if everything runs a LOT faster and smoother.

Frankly I could not be happier.

- Obe

Sigurd
March 28th, 2010, 21:51
Thanks for this oh so useful site.

Sigurd

Foen
March 28th, 2010, 22:15
I really rate your Wiki Obe, but it seems John (JPG) has a separate one. As dividing any effort between two sites can't be to the community's benefit, is there any move to combine the content?

For the record, I happen to think your site is great, and it is the only one to which I contribute. Not to say John's isn't good, but I don't want to replicate posts/entries between the two sites, and have only recently become aware that he has a site at all.

Stuart

Oberoten
March 28th, 2010, 22:32
I didn't know that either actually. Hmm. Might be an idea to see if we can either interlink or port over everything to one place.

- Obe

Foen
March 28th, 2010, 22:36
The link is here: https://fantasygrounds.wikia.com/wiki/Fantasy_Grounds_Wiki

You can see from the Labyrinth Lord entry (apparently not free) that there would be some value in aligning the data.

Stuart

Oberoten
March 28th, 2010, 23:54
Well well... I have the SQL files for the entire FG-wiki packed up as well as a backup of the catalogue structure for content if JPG or Doug would like to take over.

The entire difference here is really that I prefer Mediawiki to Wikia as the software for handling the Wiki. Content is basically the same. Since the Wikia site is on an external place I imagine it'd be harder to migrate if one wanted to consolidate so if Doug or JPG wants to do so, I am prepared to hand over all I have.

- Obe

Foen
March 29th, 2010, 06:00
Please don't step back from the wiki - I think most of JPG's site is devoted to D&D, whereas your site has a much broader church. It is also much more complete (it has extensions, for example).

It would be nice to know if Doug has any intention to adopt either site as an official wiki, though, because it makes sense to have one rather than two.

Stuart

GunnarGreybeard
March 29th, 2010, 06:44
Personally I find the MediaWiki much more powerful as far as a script plus it usually hosted on a personal server/account which means easier migration and backend access but, that just me. :D

Moon Wizard
March 29th, 2010, 20:59
I took over the Wikia site before I joined SmiteWorks. It was already up, but had really old data on it. At the time, I was thinking that it would be nice to have a wiki hosted by someone else (albeit monetized with ads), and be able to have ruleset creators control their own posts of release notes and manuals. I was also hoping that I could PDF the manuals directly from Wikia using a PDF printer. I was able to mess around with Wikia very easily to try out some ideas I had.

After joining SmiteWorks, I put the Wikia stuff on hold. It doesn't do exactly what I want it to do (messes up PDF print), and Obe's site is better in many aspects, not to mention updated more regularly. As it stands now, I have occasionally updated the ruleset list from Obe's site, and the only unique content is the release notes for 4E and d20_JPG.

I'm thinking that the best choice, with Obe's permission, is to point Wikia to his site, and perhaps add pages where ruleset creators can post additional information (such as release notes).

Cheers,
JPG

ddavison
March 29th, 2010, 23:40
Having the one link or redirect to Obe's wiki sounds good to me. I like that Oberoten stepped up and provided this originally and I also like that there is information about Fantasy Grounds available that is controlled completely by fans and the community. Not that we censer anything really, but I think you get a different viewpoint. I would like to continue providing as many official rulesets and products as we can but the fan-made content is where most of them started and it is a valuable resource for the community.

Oberoten
March 30th, 2010, 23:37
Interlinking it will be then. I'll make a page on the FGwiki for "Other Resources" which really is well overdue anyway.

- Obe

Moon Wizard
April 2nd, 2010, 03:01
I just updated the Wikia site to point to Oberoten's site. The old information is still there for reference.

https://fantasygrounds.wikia.com/wiki/Fantasy_Grounds_Wiki

Cheers,
JPG