PDA

View Full Version : Creating Characters in FG

SLB
March 27th, 2010, 23:26
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and I will be very likely be purchasing the full version of FG within the next few days. I've been playing around with the demo for a while, looking through the user guides and watching Xorn's tutorials and so far I am very impressed.

I'll be using the 3.5 ruleset (minor possibility of the 4th ed. ruleset) and I have a question about character creation. There appears to be a solid local character creation tool which allows for multiple ways to roll characters (4d6 drop 1 etc.). However, from everything I can tell, there is no way to use that character creation tool or roll that type of adjusted dice within the campaign window.

I understand that just like a table top game, players can adjust their character sheets however they wish (change their dexterity when the DM isn't looking!) and that FG is used to facilitate tabletop gaming. That said, in all my campaigns we started with players rolling up their characters (or at least their stats) in front of witnesses, namely the DM and other players. While we could do that in FG through the chat window and manually subract the lowest die (for the example character creation system) I was hoping we could use the nice local character creation tool which already does what I was expecting.

So - that was a long way to get here. Is there a way to use the local character creation tool under the supervision of the DM?

Griogre
March 28th, 2010, 07:20
No there isn't. For convenience many campaigns use a point buy system just for this reason since it allows a player to set up a character without needing the GM to supervise.

When I ran a 3.5 game I also liked to have the players roll characters so I had them use a dice server like this one: https://dice.evildm.net/index.php because they could roll and start putting the character together without needing me to be around or have the FG server up.

SLB
March 28th, 2010, 13:45
Thanks for the quick reply. It's nice to see these forums active and helpful.

Griogre
March 29th, 2010, 04:29
You're welcome and welcome to the forums. :)