PDA

View Full Version : Bug in Call of Cthulhu ruleset

Vudo
March 27th, 2010, 07:10
Hi guys,

I guess there is a bug in the Coc rules: if you roll the d100 dice, the die with the 1's (not the die with the 10's) is added wrong to the die with the 10's if a 10 is rolled. Hm, sounds confusing, so here's an example:

d100 roll= 5 + 40 = 45 => correct
d100 roll= 10 + 40 = 50 => incorrect, should be 40.

Anybody noticed that?

Foen
March 27th, 2010, 07:13
This is a 'feature' of FG, not of the CoC ruleset. the 1-10 dice rolls 1,2,3...10, not 1,2,3...0. That means you can generate numbers 1,2,3...99,100 by adding the two die totals together, so 10+40 really is 50.

Foen

Vudo
March 27th, 2010, 07:26
seems odd to me, as you usually count the 10 as a 0 when rolling a d100.

Any chance to change that? Maybe in the prefs - and maybe in your BRP ruleset as well? :-D

Foen
March 27th, 2010, 07:43
It's the way the FG engine works, and you get used to it. When counting 10 as 0 in 'normal' PnP games, you also tend to count 00 as 100.

If the engine were changed so that 10 was counted as 0, then rolling 00 with a +10 modifier would add up to 10 (not 110) and with a -5 modifier it would add up to -5 (not 95). To fix that problem, you'd have to introduce a second modifier in FG to capture 00 and change it to 100, but only when there were modifiers, otherwise you'd have to report it as 00.

BTW, if a die total is 00, it can only be displayed as 0, because the result is reported as a number, not a text, and there is no mechanism in FG for creating bespoke number formats.

All in all, having 10 as 10 and 100 as 100 is much easier for the FG engine.

Foen

Vudo
March 27th, 2010, 09:41
I can see your point - and yes, I can live with that.

But an other thing:

When adding a monster to the Combat Tracker, it will roll its statistics (DEX) and put it in the list - but it will not resort the list by DEX rank. I need to insert an other Monster (or create a NEW blank one) into the Combat Tracker.

Any idea?

Foen
March 27th, 2010, 10:43
That looks like an oversight: no obvious fix, short of editing the ruleset :(

Foen
March 27th, 2010, 10:46
BTW, I checked the draft BRP ruleset and that doesn't seem to suffer from the same problem, but thanks for prompting me to look!

Vudo
March 27th, 2010, 11:55
Thanks Foen for looking at it. So far I can live with the workaround, and I really want these BRP ruleset now :) Hope Chaosium will be fast at looking and approving it. ;)

Thanks for your work!

Foen
March 27th, 2010, 12:12
NP. You can use the BRP ruleset with your CoC campaigns and modules if you create a campaign extension. It doesn't give you the CoC skin, but you do get to use new BRP features.

Aracon
April 11th, 2010, 20:36
I am attempting to open up the section in CoC with item prices to the players but it does not appear in their library even when I set the module to be loaded to players. Am I missing something here to make it visible?

Foen
April 11th, 2010, 21:15
Module visibility to players is controlled by two things:

The settings in the Modules dialog; and
The type of file the module is made from.

The latter overrides the former, so GM-only files (which have been made that way) cannot be shared. I can't recall where the prices were stored, but it may well be in a file which you cannot share.

Foen

Aracon
April 11th, 2010, 21:58
I can't seem to share the prices. Inventory is annoying in CoC... and drag and drop equipment with a way to deduct cash on hand would be awesome.

Foen
April 11th, 2010, 22:20
I think the prices are in the Utilities module, which is GM-only, so you won't be able to share them.

As regards drag-and-drop inventory, it would be neat but was too time-consuming to implement. There is also an FG engine bug which causes a problem, as it prevents ruleset designers from having a single inventory list which would accept multiple drop types (weapons, equipment, armour etc).

Foen

Aracon
April 12th, 2010, 01:57
That's too bad.

Not having a way to share the inventory price list or not having a way a Keeper can drag and drop equipment to characters who purchase them really slows things down.

How hard would it be to make an import script and use something like google document or Excel to import?

Or what about multiple inventory lists for different items?