PDA

View Full Version : Wish list after first, actual, game

dloyer4
March 21st, 2010, 23:14
Quick background:
Just bought the Ultimate License last week.
I'm running a D20 Modern campaign
I created a campaign using Xorne's guides and suggestions...a campaign containing just the characters, and then a series of "modules" for each adventure.

After playing the one game, I came up with a wish-list of things I'd like to see or have as a GM. The problem is I'm not familiar enough with Fantasy Grounds to know if some of this stuff is already possible, so if it's already possible, someone please let me know. If it's not possible, let me know if they're good ideas or not, maybe we can convince the devs to incorporate some of them :)

1. Pre-saved encounters. I can I had one encounter last night with 15 different "actors". Dragging them all from the personalities list, or from links in the story was cumbersome. It would have been nice to have a combat tracker that was pre-saved as an encounter group. I could then drag this group to the combat tracker, either directly from a list of pre-saved groups, or from a link in the story. Clicking on more than one group would add additional actors to the combat tracker unless you cleared the tracker first. This would allow you to create a group with your party members. New encounter comes up, you clear the combat tracker, click on the "party" group, click on the group specific to the encounter and you're ready to go. Much faster than dragging each individual actor into the tracker. The ability to pre-define a group as friendly, hostile or neutral would also be helpful.

2. The ability to toggle token visibility on or off. This sort of goes along with #1. In that large encounter, I could have pre-loaded the map with icons for all the actors in the encounter, set them to "invisible" so the players couldn't see them, and then toggled them to "visible" as the players spotted them or encountered them. Granted, I can just drag the icons across from the combat tracker, but again when dealing with a large number of actors in an encounter, this can take some time.

3. More drawing tools, both for use on a drawing layer, and for use in masking and unmasking pre-loaded maps. A rectangular tool...the click in the upper left and pull down to the lower right sort of thing, and a circle tool...the click in the center and pull outward sort of thing, would be helpful for drawing those shapes quickly on a drawing layer. For a masking layer, anything within the shape drawn is either masked or unmasked, depending on whether or not you hold down the CTRL key.

Those are the only things I can think of for my with list currently. I'm sure as I gain more and more experience with the product I'll come up with more :)

Any thoughts? Any ideas? Any additions to the list?

Dennis

dloyer4
March 21st, 2010, 23:16
Oh, and for the drawing tool, using the SHIFT key to get a straight horizontal or vertical line is nice, but how about something like an ALT+SHIFT key combination to get a perfect diagonal?

dloyer4
March 21st, 2010, 23:37
Actually, thinking about the drawing tools further. Another nice tool would be the ability to hold down a key, and while holding it down, click once on the drawing to start the drawing, a second click draws a straight line between the first click and the second click, clicking a 3rd time draws a straight line between the position of the second click and the position of the 3rd click, and so on. After clicking for the final time, you release the key you've held down and a straight line is drown from the location of the last click and the original click. Maybe provide an ALT+keyhold that doesn't connect the final click to the first click so you can draw an open poly rather than a closed poly.

mr_h
March 22nd, 2010, 00:36
Quick background:

2. The ability to toggle token visibility on or off. This sort of goes along with #1. In that large encounter, I could have pre-loaded the map with icons for all the actors in the encounter, set them to "invisible" so the players couldn't see them, and then toggled them to "visible" as the players spotted them or encountered them. Granted, I can just drag the icons across from the combat tracker, but again when dealing with a large number of actors in an encounter, this can take some time.

You should be able to right click on a token and select the visibility option on this one.

dloyer4
March 22nd, 2010, 02:26
You should be able to right click on a token and select the visibility option on this one.

Wow, totally missed that one. That's great!

Robbo
March 22nd, 2010, 02:48
I recently bought the ultimate as well, but I've only been using the 4th edition D&D rule set. There is a folder on the right (just under the folder for images & maps) on the 4E rule set called combat encounters, and it does exactly what you want. Each record under combat encounters has a list of all of the personalities in each specific encounter. At the bottom of the list is a button that says, "Add these NPCs to the combat tracker". It's awesome.

And, when the NPCs are added to the combat tracker, they are defaulted as hidden, and each one can be made visible individually with a button just above their name on the combat tracker.

When I start an encounter, I do have to drag my NPCs from the combat tracker onto the map. In fact, in the 4E rule set, if I don't drag them from the combat tracker then the players can't target the NPCs, even if I make them visible. I don't know why it works this way.

If the D20 rule set doesn't have these features, then I apologize.

dloyer4
March 22nd, 2010, 02:54
That's exactly what I'm looking for! Unfortunately I use the D20 Modern rule set. :( I wonder if the D20 Modern rule set could be modified to add that capability?

ddavison
March 22nd, 2010, 17:01
We are planning/working on merging the D20_JPG with the 3.5E ruleset that is currently included with the program. This should give it many of the features of the 4E ruleset. We will take a look at the D20 modern ruleset once we complete that step and see if we can migrate some of those same changes to it. Additionally, we will do our best to maintain backward compatibility. If we can't, then there may be a new and different version available.

BruntFCA
March 24th, 2010, 15:19
Hi,

Luckily some of those things are on the "wish list" already. I may as well add my 2 cents.

1 Ability to support animated gif or graphics for tokens, maybe even maps to "sex up" things like braziers (lol) and torches.

2 Getting the tokens as tiles, or tiling facility working as per what Dr Moon (I think, the professor looking Avatar!), and Troll advocate. Certainly this would be inline with FG2 metaphor of providing the ultimate virtual table top as opposed to just computerized gaming.

dloyer4
March 26th, 2010, 07:49
We are planning/working on merging the D20_JPG with the 3.5E ruleset that is currently included with the program. This should give it many of the features of the 4E ruleset. We will take a look at the D20 modern ruleset once we complete that step and see if we can migrate some of those same changes to it. Additionally, we will do our best to maintain backward compatibility. If we can't, then there may be a new and different version available.

That's wonderful news! One of the reasons I ultimately decided to purchase Fantasy grounds was the continued development, and that you had...well, I'd guess you'd call it "native" support for D20_Modern. Just about every other virtual tabletop out there only supports D_20 modern through some not very well done hacks created by the user community as opposed to something created by the developers themselves.

So, any rough idea of what sort of lead time we're looking at for this?

ddavison
March 26th, 2010, 21:18
I hate to venture too much of a guess at this point, but the D20/3.5/D20_JPG merge is one of the top items on the list for JPG. He is wrapping up some fixes to the core engine at this stage and then I will step in and work on that end some more while he shifts back to the rulesets. Then it is just a matter of how much we can crank out while still spending some time reviewing and packaging new products. I would hope that we will get there by the start of Q3 2010 and hopefully sooner.

lordmalachdrim
March 27th, 2010, 17:35
I've got one thing I'd love to see added to this. The ability to send PDF files to players for view and such. Almost all my handouts are in that format (and even though it's pretty easy to copy the pdf as an image it's still a pain at times.