PDA

View Full Version : Rolemaster - Combat question

snafusan
March 21st, 2010, 18:42
Hiya,

Bought FG last night - the demo seemed really promising. I've got a RM group but I've moved across country and we want to continue playing using FG. Except I'm having a bit of difficulty getting things to work...

I've figured out how to drag and drop monsters from the Creatures and Treasures booklet, or make personas and have them appear in the combat manager.

I can have players attack monsters/NPCs and have the player roll window pop up, drag the chart on to the window to look up the result and that's all good.

However I'm having difficulty making NPCs or monsters "Attack vs" column show the player, which means I am of course having to work out all the OB vs DB, modifiers and so on as I would in a pen and paper game.

This is okay, I'm used to doing this with Rolemaster and drowning in charts - I'm just wondering, should it be this way? I was assuming there would be a degree of automation when I took the plunge and bought it - I must be missing some trick to actually get NPCs/monsters to target and attack players using the RMC ruleset...

- Steve

Foen
March 21st, 2010, 20:46
Drag the PC's name onto the NPC's 'attack vs' field.

Hope that helps

Foen

snafusan
March 21st, 2010, 21:24
Drag the PC's name onto the NPC's 'attack vs' field.

Hope that helps

Foen

Oh gosh.. I tried dragging everything but that :-)

Thank you very much!

Foen
March 21st, 2010, 21:26
No problem, and welcome to the FG forums, I hope you find us friendly and helpful :)

Stuart

snafusan
March 23rd, 2010, 06:45
Oops, looks like I have another question already :)

Foen - I read in one of your other threads (where you addressed a negative review) that it was in fact possible to drag a critical on to a Combat Tracker entry and have it automatically populate the effects and so on - whilst providing a narrative. Here's what I'm doing:

1. PC has an NPC/Monster targetted by dragging the name in to the "Attack Vs" column.

2. PC rolls the attack dice, result pops up in the Player rolls stack

3. I double click the result in the stack and it cross references the result on the chart. Lovely, 28 E krush against Armour type 8 on the Quarterstaff table (Just so you've got a point of reference...)

4. Player rolls for a critical. They get a 74. I scroll down to 71-75 on the critical chart.

5. "Blow breaks foe's hip. Foe is at -75 and is knocked down. +15 hits. Foe is stunned 3 rounds" - I try to drag this on to the combat tracker for the enemy, next to the little man (effects) icon where it says description..

6. I get this message and it puts the critical message in description:
Script Errror: [string "scripts/combattracker_effects.lua"]:231: attempt to call field 'onDrop' (a nil value)

Any thoughts ? :)

- Steve

Foen
March 23rd, 2010, 07:07
I can't replicate that problem on my machine, but it is worth noting:

The combat tracker has lots of components, with many behaviours, so the location you drop the critical can make a difference. Try dropping it on the description field of an effect, or else on the name field of the combatant.
You can drag the critical roll (74 in this case) from the chat box and drop it on the critical table to do the lookup for you.

Hope that helps,

Foen

snafusan
March 23rd, 2010, 17:22
Hiya,

One thing I will say about the RMC ruleset - it takes a bit of fiddling to get the hang of. Turns out once again I was simply dragging something on to the right place. However when you compare that to flicking through charts.. it's a real blessing ;-)

Just to let you and anybody else reading this know:

Dropping on to the name of a combatant in the tracker *does* populate the effects field.
Positive effects (i.e you've scored a crit and now you have +10 to your next swing) need to be noted manually. Don't forget! :-)

Thanks again.
:)

Zygon2004
August 19th, 2010, 03:52
Sorry for the likely silly question.

I'm confused about the drag and drop with critical charts and effects. I drop the diceroll on the critical chart and nothing happens.

Also, I cannot drag from the critical chart, it only highlights the words there.

I know I'm missing something simple... any advice would be humbly appreciated.

Zygon2004
August 19th, 2010, 04:11
Sorry for the likely silly question.

I'm confused about the drag and drop with critical charts and effects. I drop the diceroll on the critical chart and nothing happens.

Also, I cannot drag from the critical chart, it only highlights the words there.

I know I'm missing something simple... any advice would be humbly appreciated.

Sorry, I figured it out. I wasn't using the resolve attack in the window, I had the criticial chart open and was trying to drop and drag from there. :mad: