PDA

View Full Version : Character sheet limit? And other questions

dloyer4
March 18th, 2010, 07:58
OK, just bought the ultimate license. I'm going to run a D20Modern game and I just started creating my campaign and modules. I'm dealing with a bunch of players coming over from different systems, so I'm creating pre-rolled characters to start. I like to give my players a decent number of characters to choose from. I've got about 4 players, and I've created 12 pre-rolled characters in PC-Gen, but I seem to have run into a limit on the number of character sheets I can create if Fantasy Grounds. I've created 8 character sheets and can no longer select "Create New Item" from the Character Selection Window to create the last 4 character sheets. Is 8 sheets a hard limit to the number of character sheets you can create per campaign? Or is it limited by the fact that there are no more "slots" in the Character Selection Window?

Since I use PC-Gen to create my characters, I guess I could always email the character stats to my players, have them choose and then create just those characters, but I'd much rather be able to create all 12 to allow a player to change his or her mind at the last minute.

Next question: Once a player has "chosen" their character, is there some way to transfer the character file so that it now resides as a local character on their system rather than a server character?

Last Question: This would probably be better asked of the PC-Gen crowd, but is there a way to export the data from a PC-Gen created character in some way that can be imported directly into Fantasy Grounds?

Thanks,
Dennis

Oberoten
March 18th, 2010, 10:18
The mousewheel is your friend. :) Just scroll down, you can also right-click on a empty space revealed in this manner and create a new empty character.

2: No not as of yet.

3: I think someone was working on/finished a script for doing this, yes.

dloyer4
March 18th, 2010, 17:12
Scrolling the mouse-wheel seems to have no effect. Could this be a problem with the D20Modern rule set?

ddavison
March 18th, 2010, 18:58
I just tested it locally and the mouse-wheel scroll worked for me. I right-clicked in between 4 character records and selected Create Item and then scrolled down from there. Note that my mouse needed to be in the middle area, hovering over the character thumbnails for it to "register" the scroll.

In case you are new to FG, some people have experience problems with capturing mouse and keyboard keys when in full screen mode. It is generally best to use a windowed version of FG and then manually stretch it to fill the screen so as not to overlap with the windows taskbar.

-Doug

dloyer4
March 18th, 2010, 19:03
BINGO!! Using the combination of non-full screen mode and putting the mouse cursor between two character icons did it! Thanks!

Phystus
March 19th, 2010, 00:06
Last Question: This would probably be better asked of the PC-Gen crowd, but is there a way to export the data from a PC-Gen created character in some way that can be imported directly into Fantasy Grounds?

Thanks,
Dennis

The D20_jpg ruleset comes with templates for PCGen that create XML files you can paste into your campaign's db.xml file. There's one for the PC format and one for the NPC format. I have used the NPC tool a lot, and it has a couple minor bugs but does save a ton of time. I've never tried the PC export, though.

And I have no idea whether it would work with D20 Modern. But it would probably at least provide a base to work with.

The export process does involve editing your campaign rather than importing it from within FG. But it can be a real timesaver.

~P