PDA

View Full Version : MediaFiles

drahkar
March 15th, 2010, 02:33
Has any thought been given to the ability to have mp3s played through the interface?

For example being able to define a sound bite that we can have access through the interface and played to the clients at the GM's discretion for things like ambiance, NPC voice-overs, etc?

Just something that came up in a discussion I was having.

Oberoten
March 15th, 2010, 12:12
Alas, this is a oft requested feature. With how FG has problems pushing bigger files it is for now probably better left alone. ( 4.5 mb * 4 players = 18 mb makes for quite a bit longer transfer than playtime on the file not to mention dipping your toes in the scary end of the Copyright Infringement bowl of acid. )

- Obe

Spyke
March 15th, 2010, 13:08
I personally like the way the VT market is diverging. For me Fantasy Grounds is the clear winner for text-based roleplay, and I'd like it to continue to concentrate on and optimise that aspect.

Other VTs are working towards audio and video-based roleplay, and for that sort of session I'll likely use one of those tools. I'm happy (and fortunate to be able) to own more than one VT.

Audio features can be added to a Fantasy Grounds session using external tools if you really want to combine the two.

Spyke

EugeneZ
March 15th, 2010, 15:15
At some point I need to do a post about how I do audio, which involves Skype and some simple software to pipe my MP3 player audio into my Skype stream. Works great. Considering Skype has spent a considerable amount of money getting streaming audio to work well, I would suspect a VoiP-based solution will be superior to a VTT solution most of the time. I've always been an advocate of using the right tools for the right jobs. I don't think any VTT is going to replace Skype (or comparable streaming audio software like Vent) in terms of the tool for the job when it comes to live streaming audio.

adminwheel3
March 15th, 2010, 17:06
I'd be interested in seeing that.

Currently I have a separate system running Ventrillo in a 'whatyouhear' mode so that anything that is output to the speakers is also output to an open Vent channel.

It's sub-optimal at best as it requires me to have two computers running (since you can't have multiple instances of vent running on the same computer), the sound quality is poor and it is a pain to adjust volume on the fly.

However it's better than listening to silence as people type.

drahkar
March 15th, 2010, 21:36
I personally like the way the VT market is diverging. For me Fantasy Grounds is the clear winner for text-based roleplay, and I'd like it to continue to concentrate on and optimise that aspect.

Other VTs are working towards audio and video-based roleplay, and for that sort of session I'll likely use one of those tools. I'm happy (and fortunate to be able) to own more than one VT.

Audio features can be added to a Fantasy Grounds session using external tools if you really want to combine the two.

Spyke

That is a very good point and one I'll use when talking to people about FGII.

Doswelk
March 16th, 2010, 11:08
At some point I need to do a post about how I do audio, which involves Skype and some simple software to pipe my MP3 player audio into my Skype stream. Works great. Considering Skype has spent a considerable amount of money getting streaming audio to work well, I would suspect a VoiP-based solution will be superior to a VTT solution most of the time. I've always been an advocate of using the right tools for the right jobs. I don't think any VTT is going to replace Skype (or comparable streaming audio software like Vent) in terms of the tool for the job when it comes to live streaming audio.

What software do you use?

EugeneZ
March 16th, 2010, 14:28
What software do you use?

Virtual Audio Cable (https://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.html). I was sort of surprised that I couldn't find a free solution but I was happy to pay for it. Besides, judging by the guy's update history (last updated Feb 2010) it's actually more complex than it looks.

Anyway, if someone wants to use that software, or a free alternative, what I do is this:

1) Create two virtual audio devices. Let's call them VAC1 and VAC2.
2) Run three instances of Audio Repeater (comes with VAC). It's not CPU instensive or anything and I've never had a problem running three instances. If you start them via command-line or batch script, you can even hide them in the systray.
3) Instance #1: Pipe from mic to VAC1. (Tip: Set this audio repeater to mono mode.)
4) Instance #2: Pipe from VAC2 to VAC1.
5) Instance #3: Pipe from VAC2 to Windows System Default.
6) Configure your Skype to use VAC1 as a "mic."
7) Configure your MP3 player (I use foobar2000) to output sound to VAC2.

Ideally, you want to launch the three Audio Repeater instances via batch script so that they can be started with a click and just go to your systray. Out of sight out of mind.

I was going to post my batch script here but when I went to look for it... it has mysterious vanished. I don't really get how it's even starting now. I'll need to go dig it up or re-write it or whatever and then I'll post it.

ShadoWWW
March 16th, 2010, 19:24
I'd like to add sound effect to dice roll (as an option).

The visual effect of dice roll is excelent, but the sound effect is missing.

drahkar
March 16th, 2010, 20:38
After thinking about it, I have to agree with Spyke. Media was never the focus on this software. Its intention was to create a virtual replacement for the tabletop. And it is extremely good for that. There are other tools we can use for other things.