PDA

View Full Version : Server transition

ddavison
March 12th, 2010, 19:24
You may have noticed a maintenance page if you happened to come by the site earlier today. We just finished moving the servers over to a new host in the United States from Finland. The servers were temporarily unavailable for a few hours until things propagated and then we had a brief period where the SSL certificate wasn't working correctly. These issues should be addressed for most people now and if you see this then you are looking at the new servers.

If you have any players who are still seeing the maintenance screen on the website or who are having troubles connecting, you can speed up the transition process by doing the following:

On Windows XP machines:
1. Click Start | Run
2. type "cmd.exe" and press Enter
3. type "ipconfig /flushdns" and press Enter
4. Close and re-open your browser window and go to https://www.fantasygrounds.com

For Windows Vista and Windows 7, you will do the same thing but you need to elevate your command prompt first.
1. Click Start and type cmd into search area (do not press enter)
2. When the cmd.exe icon appears in your search results, right-click and select Run as Administrator
3. type "ipconfig /flushdns" and press Enter
4. Close and re-open your browser window and go to https://www.fantasygrounds.com

Ikael
March 13th, 2010, 17:50
so should the FGII updater work at the moment? I just replaced my Vista with Win7 and tried to update FGII to latest version but the updater simply stops at 'Getting package listing' and doesn't do anything.

I have opened the 1802 port and made all the firewall settings that worked earlier with vista.

EDIT: ok, I can't even update my FGII installed in minilaptop (using XP os, no changes made). The updater simply stops after priting 'Getting package listing'.

ddavison
March 13th, 2010, 22:04
It should work if the DNS change has propagated out to you. It IS possible that your DNS updated to reflect the website change but not the other fully qualified domain names. Unfortunately, they say to allow a maximum of 48 hours for DNS changes to reach everywhere. It took about an hour for my systems to reflect the change and I am using OpenDNS instead of my ISP's domain name servers.

Ikael
March 14th, 2010, 15:57
alright, updating works now, quess my path is clean now :)

Andugus
March 14th, 2010, 16:17
Congratulations on the migration. From my point of view it seems to have been painless.

ddavison
March 15th, 2010, 05:59
Thanks. It wasn't as painless as I had hoped since I think some people were affected by it more than others. All things considered, it went okay though. Hopefully it will only need to occur this one time.