PDA

View Full Version : Will FG2 run on a Mac?

Glympy
March 12th, 2010, 04:35
Hello everyone and im sure the answer to this is some where on the forums but I could not find it. I have a friend who has a Mac and he is wanting to play with us but I cant find if the FG2 will run on his Mac with out a conversion program like Mirror etc.. Could some one help me out with this. Thanks alot :)

Oberoten
March 12th, 2010, 05:43
FG 2 will not run natively on a mac. FG does however support running under these conversion programs. It is not an ideal solution, but it is workable and also works under Linux thus saving the hassle of having to maintain several different versions of the executables.

- Obe

ddavison
March 12th, 2010, 15:51
The system requirements for a Mac are as follows:

Linux or Mac with Wine 1.1.28 (or higher) or other Wine based cross-platform software such as CrossOver Mac
DirectX 9.0 compatible video adapter
Core 2 Duo processor or equivalent
RAM: 512 MB
Video memory: 64 MB
Hard drive space: 100 MB
Internet Connection

Wine is the recommended approach since we have a number of Mac users running it smoothly through Wine.

RiverRat
March 12th, 2010, 17:03
I can confirm what Doug says about running FG on a mac. I have Crossover Mac and have been using it to run FG for several months now. I have a regular unibody MacBook with a separate 22 widescreen monitor (which really helps).

The only drawback with my setup (also with a similar setup in windows is that the mouse wheel will not scroll numberfields and the like while on the second monitor. It may have something to do with DirectX.

RR

Etore
March 13th, 2010, 15:45
www.winehq.org is the official site for Wine, but you can get an unofficial Mac installer from here (https://winebottler.kronenberg.org/). After that, you just run the Fantasy Grounds installer.

CrossOver on the other hand is a commercial product, based on Wine, and easier to use. See: https://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

Glympy
March 18th, 2010, 21:39
thanks alot guys

ddavison
March 18th, 2010, 22:19
Wine Version 1.1.38 has been reported as working completely with FG2. There have been reported issues with version 1.1.39 and higher of Wine. You should be able to select any of the previous versions when you choose which one to install. Also, look for the Mac and Linux compatibility option when you install Fantasy Grounds.

-Doug

Vudo
March 27th, 2010, 14:35
I currently use Parallels and it works fine, but I want to use Crossover.
It works so far, but I do get these refresh errors.

When I try to use the "Run Command" and -r switch, I get an error message "Could not load ruleset root file base.xml"

I try the 9.0.0 Demo version at the moment. Anybody can assist? :) Thanks!

Indarien
March 27th, 2010, 15:32
Also, look for the Mac and Linux compatibility option when you install Fantasy Grounds.

-Doug

Awesome news Doug.

I can also report that FG2 works great with VMWare on a Mac. (Granted, it is the more expensive option of those listed.)

Bhaskara
May 27th, 2010, 05:40
so my mac meets the requirements but when i run it under WINE it runs the setup and once complete it fails to launch sending me an error any thoughts.

Vudo
May 27th, 2010, 05:57
so my mac meets the requirements but when i run it under WINE it runs the setup and once complete it fails to launch sending me an error any thoughts.

Which Wine version do you use and what error pops up?
I use the Wine version that can be downloaded here:

https://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

and it runs absolutely stable.

Bhaskara
May 27th, 2010, 06:26
thats the exact version i'm running.

error reads

program error

the program fantasygrounds.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience.

this can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in WINE.

then states to check winehq.org but thats not helpful ... is there something i should be selecting from winetricks or entering into the field below the winetricks selection in winebottler?

Vudo
May 27th, 2010, 06:58
thats the exact version i'm running.

then states to check winehq.org but thats not helpful ... is there something i should be selecting from winetricks or entering into the field below the winetricks selection in winebottler?

Hm, that is strange. No, there is nothing you need to do. An other thing you might try is:

- go to the Wine DOS Prompt (Wine Symbol in Menu Bar)
- change to the Directory FGII is in, e.g.:
c:\\Program Files\Fantasy Grounds II\
- run FGII manually by using the -R switch:
FantasyGrounds.exe -r

If that brings the same error, you can try out the Crossover Trial Wine version at www.codeweavers.com

Bhaskara
May 28th, 2010, 05:07
okay couldn't get wine to work .. crossover works like a charm anyone know how to add new rulesets through crossover ? need to add SWSaga

Vudo
June 2nd, 2010, 08:40
okay couldn't get wine to work .. crossover works like a charm anyone know how to add new rulesets through crossover ? need to add SWSaga

There is an option to install Software in Crossover. If you use that one, all works like a charm again ...

lonadar
August 27th, 2010, 02:11
Hm, that is strange. No, there is nothing you need to do. An other thing you might try is:

- go to the Wine DOS Prompt (Wine Symbol in Menu Bar)

Whoa...wait...Wine DOS prompt? Wine symbol in the menu bar?

What am I not installing right?
I can run Wine, but I have to "wine .wine/drive_c/Program_Files/F..."etc...

Zeus
August 27th, 2010, 09:51

When you need to install software there are a couple of methods. For software applications with a Setup executable you use the Software Installer, selecting the installer file and the bottle you want to install into. For non-executable software (individual files, ZIP archives etc.) you just navigate to the C: drive of the bottle and the file path and just copy the file(s) in using either the Finder or from a command line terminal.

The C: drive for a Bottle can be found in <user>/LibraryApplication Support/CrossOver/Bottles/<bottle name>/drive_c

To add a ruleset. If its packaged as a setup exe just use the standard Software Installer but instead of creating a new bottle to install it into, select the bottle that is currently configured with FGII.

If the ruleset is a standard ZIP archive or a folder, open a Finder window and navigate to:

<user>/LibraryApplication Support/CrossOver/Bottles/<bottle name>/drive_c/users/crossover/Application Data/Fantasy Grounds II/rulesets

Now either unzip the ruleset zip here or copy the ruleset folder here.

If the ruleset is a .PAK archive, open a Finder window and navigate to:

<user>/LibraryApplication Support/CrossOver/Bottles/<bottle name>/drive_c/Program Files/Fantasy Grounds II/

Copy the .PAK ruleset file here.

NOTE: You can also easily locate the C: drive for a Bottle by using the 'Open C: Drive in Finder' button on the Advanced tab of the Manage Bottles Form (CrossOver Menubar - Configure->Manage Bottles).

Zeus
August 27th, 2010, 10:04
Whoa...wait...Wine DOS prompt? Wine symbol in the menu bar?

What am I not installing right?
I can run Wine, but I have to "wine .wine/drive_c/Program_Files/F..."etc...
I am not sure about a Wine DOS prompt however CrossOver offers a convenient way of launching a shell with the correct environment variables defined for the bottle you want to use. When launched (from CrossOvers Programs Menu->Run Command Form), the shell opens, the environment variables are set and the working directory changed to the root of the bottle you want to use. From there you can

cd "Program Files/Fantasy Grounds II"
wine ./FantasyGrounds.exe

(Note: If you selected the Linux/Mac compatibility option during FGII installation you do not need to include the -r flag).

Also as I run CrossOver which wraps Wine I can't comment on the 'Wine symbol in the menu bar', however Crossover does have a menu bar, perhaps this is whats being refered to?

Two questions, which version of Wine are you using? And how did you install Wine?

Vudo
August 27th, 2010, 11:39
the wine symbol is only in the menu bar, if you have an other wine system installed (other than crossover).
But, I no longer run FGII on a Mac. I found it more convenient to buy a PC for 200$ and use that. Less hassle and much cheaper. And as long as you do not use the thing for anything else it is pretty well working.

lonadar
August 27th, 2010, 17:46
I believe I have the latest release of Wine, installed through MacPorts. I'll double check once I'm home.

JeXus
September 2nd, 2010, 12:15
Can anybody help me out?

Im running FG II on my MacBook through CrossOver. It runs, it updates, everything works, except that no one can connect to my server (not through IP address nor alias). Whenever I push the test button, it says FAILED. I opened the suggested port, but that doesn't help.

Any ideas?

JeXus
September 2nd, 2010, 13:04
Nevermind, I fixed it.
My router didn't forward the ports properly.
:p