PDA

View Full Version : Summerland

Valarian
March 11th, 2010, 15:55
The Event brought the Sea of Leaves into our world, an immense forest that choked cities and drowned civilisation overnight. From the trees came the Call, a lure to the weak that decimated the population. In the aftermath only pockets of humanity remain, resisting the woods’ siren song. In the endless forests lurk the Lost – whose wills were drowned by the Call – and the Wild, who have forgotten they were ever human.

The European FG2 RPG gaming group is starting up a Summerland game which will probably last 6 to 10 sessions, running Friday nights at 8pm UK time. We're looking for one or two more players, if anyone is interested in playing. We'll be running a character building session next Friday (19th March) and will start the game the week after (26th March).

No purchases necessary to play, even FGII as I'll be running this one and I've got an Ultimate license. Ideal if there are any people out there who want to give FGII a try before buying and would like to try something that's not D&D.

For further information, I've written a review for the game for a blog: https://rpg.brouhaha.us/?p=2376
The gaming group links are below in the signature.

Desmodaeus
March 11th, 2010, 16:15
My band just covered the song this setting was inspired by. Sounds like a cool game. Wish I had the extra time to play.

Valarian
March 12th, 2010, 09:57
Which song was that?

ZorxPotz
March 12th, 2010, 12:35
the setting itself (even in that short description) sounds very luring to me... your review is well written and interesting!!
a few questions though:

* do you play by text or voice chat?
* does one have to own the pdf? (summerland)
* what kind of additional PC is needed in the group?
* i get along quite well with english but since its not my first language i might
not be that quick always and everywhere - is that an issue?
* 8 pm would 9 pm here - how many hours is an average game evening?

thanks for some answers - if one (or some) of them is not a "K.O.-criterion" i'd be interested!

best wishes - zorX
:bandit:

edit: btw - full license here ...

Valarian
March 12th, 2010, 13:14
the setting itself (even in that short description) sounds very luring to me... your review is well written and interesting!!
Why thank you :)

a few questions though:
* do you play by text or voice chat?
* does one have to own the pdf? (summerland)
* what kind of additional PC is needed in the group?
* i get along quite well with english but since its not my first language i might
not be that quick always and everywhere - is that an issue?
* 8 pm would 9 pm here - how many hours is an average game evening?

Okay, no problem.
* We tend to just use the text chat. Voice at some point might help for out of character stuff, but there's not been much enthusiasm for it so far.
* No, definitely not. The game is simple enough to pick up. If you've read the review, that's probably enough information to get going
* This will be decided in the character building session. Each player in the group will be a drifter, and there will be some trauma in the character's past that has made them resilient to the Call. What type of person do you want to play?
* Not an issue. We've had Finns, Germans, Belgians and others in the group. The group play is in English. If you're comfortable with that, we'd be glad to have you. Just ask if you need something rephrased.
* We run for around 3 hours ... so that'd be 9pm to 12am for you. We've got a player in Germany with the same issue so we don't go on too long.

ZorxPotz
March 12th, 2010, 16:35
sounds good! :)

* This will be decided in the character building session. Each player in the group will be a drifter, and there will be some trauma in the character's past that has made them resilient to the Call. What type of person do you want to play?

i have no idea so far ..
i guess i would need a bit of more of the backround and the way summerland will be played - as i understood its alot up to the DM (and players as well) - so... planet earth has changed into a "giant jungle" overnight, but how long ago has this been - ages or just recently? are the PCs aware of how the world has been before that incident? are those drifters apart from their "mental illness" similar to day to day people .. err, folks like us or something, basically trying to survive/resist the sirens !?

then: are there remains of technology which can be used? since there´s a need of an traumatic event every drifter remembers i guess its good to bring one along!?

will all of the PCs be "born" upcoming friday or are there already some ideas/drafts on the table?

again, a few more questions... :o

WarLokk
March 12th, 2010, 16:38
I wish I could play in the game as it sounds fantastic. This is the first I have heard of the setting and just wanted to drop in and say thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Good Luck with the Game.

Valarian
March 12th, 2010, 20:11
i guess i would need a bit of more of the backround and the way summerland will be played - as i understood its alot up to the DM (and players as well) - so... planet earth has changed into a "giant jungle" overnight, but how long ago has this been - ages or just recently? are the PCs aware of how the world has been before that incident? are there remains of technology which can be used? since there´s a need of an traumatic event every drifter remembers i guess its good to bring one along!?
More a temperate forest than a jungle. The Event is within living memory. The people alive now (the characters) remember the Event occurring. There's still salvage to be had from the ruins of civilisation. Ammunition, canned food and some technology would be ideal trading goods with communities. Electricity has gone as the power lines and power stations have been destroyed.

are those drifters apart from their "mental illness" similar to day to day people .. err, folks like us or something, basically trying to survive/resist the sirens !?
The drifters are the same as all other folk, just resilient to the Call. The trauma in their lives makes them so. They're damaged and unwelcome in the communities. The whole focus of the game is to resolve the trauma and get accepted in a community.

will all of the PCs be "born" upcoming friday or are there already some ideas/drafts on the table?
No ideas mentioned as yet. There's a thread on the game on the group mailing list, but nothing more than expressions of interest currently. There's two, maybe three players on the group interested in the game.

Talen
March 12th, 2010, 20:38
Which song was that?

King's X wrote a song called Summerland...was that the one?

ZorxPotz
March 12th, 2010, 21:59
No ideas mentioned as yet. There's a thread on the game on the group mailing list, but nothing more than expressions of interest currently. There's two, maybe three players on the group interested in the game.

well then i´ll send you a PM with some ideas/suggestions !

huba! :bandit:
zorX,

Puzzle
March 13th, 2010, 03:30
this sounds fun! its good to see a post apocalyptic setting that isn't all dessert and mad max wannabes!

I have signed up to the Google group (as Puzzle)

my timezone is -5 GMT at the moment but thats not a problem. i'm from the UK and as all my friends/family are there I am used to the time difference and can be around any time im needed =)

Valarian
March 13th, 2010, 08:08
Okay, with Puzzle and ZorxPotz, I think that about fills the game.
Don't worry too much at the moment about character generation ideas. The process is meant to be done as a group, so Friday's session will be okay. A few ideas wouldn't hurt to throw around the table, but you might get inspiration from hearing the ideas of the other players.

Desmodaeus
March 15th, 2010, 12:45
Which song was that?

The song "Summerland" by King's X