PDA

View Full Version : FG compatible with windows xp 64 bit ?

Andrepartthree
March 9th, 2010, 20:52
I installed my full license version of FG on both my desktop and laptop PC's in order to DM, but I'd only use FG on one computer at a time (basically use the laptop when I need to be mobile but I wouldn't be logged into FG on my desktop and visa versa)... however (face palms) I just found out my brother in law purchased the super PC with windows xp 64 bit I've been pining for and I'll be receiving it soon ...

I did read the part in the FAQ that says FG is unaware of which computer it's running on or something to that effect and long as you don't try to run it on more than one PC at the same time you're safe... however I also heard somewhere that if you try to install FG on more than two computers ( even if you're only running it on one PC at any given time) that FG gives you grief - anyone know if that's true? And if so would uninstalling FG off my current desktop (which I plan on doing) and my laptop (if necessary) help as far as being able to run FG on the new win 64 bit desktop?

Also has anyone had any experience running FG on windows xp prof 64 bit version? I got the impression from a thread on here it works fine on windows 7 64 bit so I'm guessing the answer is "yes" ...

Thanks to anyone reading this I appreciate your time and attention! :)

Foen
March 10th, 2010, 07:18
Can't answer the question about XP 64-bit (I use Win7 Pro 64-bit fine), but the licenses work a bit like this:

The license only allows you to install FG on one computer, for one person. Having it on a laptop and a desktop machine is not permitted under the license, even if you only use one at a time.
That said, the software only checks to see if two instances with the same license key are connected to the same host. If they aren't, there is no regular checking of the number of times it has been installed.
I used to run FG with the same license on both a laptop (for on-the-move development and testing) and a desktop (for at-home development and for hosting games), until I went 'legal' last year. I think others do too.
It is fine to uninstall FG from one machine and then reinstall it on a new machine, provided it is for the same user. Again, there is no checking for this, but I think that is what the license permits.
Don't muck around with too many simultaneous installs, one or two should be enough for legitimate use, but if you push it too far you run the risk of having the license key blocked as being a pirated copy.

Hope that helps

Foen

adminwheel3
March 10th, 2010, 16:16
I run a game on a Win7 x64 system and it works fine. Whatever errors I run across aren't OS specific but rather issues with maps being too large, etc.