PDA

View Full Version : DnD 4e: The Scouring of Gate Pass / War of The Burning Sky

Mask_of_winter
March 6th, 2010, 18:03
Greetings everybody!

My name is Eric, I'm 33 and have been a DM for about 20 years now. I've been running games on FG2 for a year now so I've come to know what works for me and my groups.

I recently got my hands of the first chapter of War of the Burning Sky by En world, The Scouring of Gate Pass and I must say I'm really impressed. Contrary to most WOTC released adventure modules, this is not a dungeon crawl. It is an heroic tier adventure of epic proportion. It reminds me of Star Wars during the Rebellion Era. The adventure offers many roleplaying opportunities for heroic minded players and their character.

I want to run this module on a biweekly basis on Thursday evenings or Saturday afternoons EST (GMT- 5.

I'm looking for 6 roleplay oriented players in their 30's and up who are able to commit to a 3 or 4 hours at a time session that would take place twice a month.

You do not need to be familiar with FG2 or the 4e ruleset though it would be a great advantage.

I do not use voice chat. I think it's easier for players to immerse themselves in their characters. The players are less likely to get involved in out-of-character banting that makes everybody lose focus. I ask that you follow the game. That means, no other windows on your screen, tv in the background or what have you. If you can't give me your undivided attention for 3-4 hours twice a month you are not what I'm looking for. Now, I understand things happen during the course of a game. If you have to excuse yourself for a couple minutes just say so. If it's in the middle of combat I will delay your action until you come back.

I am respectful of everybody's playing style, I just had to allow myself to narrow the type of players I want in my game down to the roleplayers. That means no rules lawyer, min/maxers or players that only show up when it's time for them to roll dice. If you decide that your character is not a big talker that is fine, you just need to emote. Roleplaying games are about cooperation, working as a team to accomplish a goal. I understand the appeal in the loner type of character but I don't think it works well in my games.

For this scenario, for simplicity's sake as far as character motivation goes, I am looking for good or lawful/good aligned characters. Unaligned or neutral is just a poor excuse to kill whoever you want whenever you want if the mood strikes you. This is not the type of character that would help drive the story forward. You don't have to be a pious paladin either to play good.

Let me present to you the War of the Burning Sky campaign setting.

You will find a trailer here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIUkhOKJCfM)

The War of the Burning Sky player's guide here (https://www.enworld.org/enpublishing/scooterlp/4E00a_WBS_Players_Guide%282%29.pdf)

Other than the WotBS player's guide you can use most DnD 4e ressources available to you. I will not accept playtest classes or races. No assassins, artificier or swordmage, no Wilden or Shadar-Kai, no monster races except the orc because orcs are accepted citizens of Gate Pass. After reading the Player's Guide you'll also realize you may not be trusted as an eladrin.

I will make a message board available for us all to gather once a group is created.

If you are interested, post on this thread. Let me know which day works best for you; Thursday evening 7-10 EST or Saturday afternoon 1-4 or 5 EST.

And after reading the WOTBS player's guide pitch in a character concept. Extra points for originality, I can only see so many elven rangers or dwarven clerics before I want to puke.

I am aiming for a March 18th or 20th debut.

Once I have enough players I will send you a pm or email (if you've provided me with one) with further instructions.

With that said, have a great weekend all! I'm looking forward to hear from you.

Eric aka Manirick aka Mask_of_winter

Dareus
March 6th, 2010, 20:05
Are you just running this single module or are you planning on running the adventure path. I have played most of this mod before the DM disappeared on us. So if its the whole path, I am very interested and can play on Thursdays but probably not Saturdays. Let me know!!

Mask_of_winter
March 6th, 2010, 21:22
We'll see. I'll start with this module and if possible I am willing to run the rest of the adventure path. The Scouring of Gate Pass alone might take a few months to complete.

Talen
March 7th, 2010, 03:04
I may have misunderstood your email, but I believe EugeneZ has converted the first 4 WOTBS modules and has plans(I believe) to convert them all to FGII. They're available at no extra cost at the EN World website.
...lol...and now as I reread your post - Im guessing you meant completing the 1st module would take a long time...not the actual module prep...sorry - lack of sleep on my part!

Skizzt
March 7th, 2010, 21:22
Hello there, im interested in joining to your campaign. I want to play a human invoker. Im 26 years old, and i like to roleplay as i like to see a battlefield. I am familiar with 4th Edition, but a noob to FG2. Im a fast learner tho:) If you are interested sign me up for the debut. Cheers

Rodfriend
March 7th, 2010, 22:26
I'm able to play on sat's. I willing to play a striker, controller, or defender.

geewhizbatman
March 8th, 2010, 00:17
Hey so this sounds great, I've never played on FG2 before but I'm not techno-illiterate and I've had my fair share of table top experience, so I'm sure I can catch on.

I might be a little on the youthful side (21) but I promise not to lol or blush or chew my gum too loud. I'm happy to play whatever class is needed but I have had a hankering to try out a half-orc swarm druid (using the primal power supplement.) But I can understand if the class is a little too weird to incorporate and can scale it down to something more mainstream.

Saturday works best for me. Hope to hear from ya and pm-ing here is probably the best bet.

Thanks!

Mask_of_winter
March 8th, 2010, 11:31
I may have misunderstood your email, but I believe EugeneZ has converted the first 4 WOTBS modules and has plans(I believe) to convert them all to FGII. They're available at no extra cost at the EN World website.
...lol...and now as I reread your post - Im guessing you meant completing the 1st module would take a long time...not the actual module prep...sorry - lack of sleep on my part!

Right, I got the fg2 module EugeneZ created so I wont have much prep time. It's the "1 battle = 2-3hrs in 4e" part that will make this module take a long time to complete.

Keep these applications coming folks!

Matopi
March 8th, 2010, 17:36
Interested in giving this a go, but only Saturdays work for me. I'm willing to play any role, as needed. I'm a little wary of playing without voice chat (in my experience, games without skype or its ilk can be a little slow) but maybe I've just had some unlucky experiences? If the DMs comfortable with it, then I'm game.

Let me know if I'm needed, and I'll happily roll something up.

Puzzle
March 8th, 2010, 23:53
Id like to put my name in the "hat"

I can play any day of the week and almost any hour,i'm in -5 GMT timezone

I have been playing p&p roleplay for almost 20 years now, including d&d, whfrp, whitwolf, I have also played/run a lot of LARP events so have a lot of experience with roleplaying!

I have not played a whole lot of 4E but im not a total newbie, i have however not used FGII more than just logging onto myself to test it out, but from what i see its not to hard to get the hang of!

Im happy to play anything the party needs tho i tend to go with rogues, rangers and melee fighters,

fell free to send me a PM and il give you my contact info and all that good stuff!

Mask_of_winter
March 10th, 2010, 10:57
So we got Daerus and Puzzle for Thursdays.

And Geewizbatman, Rodfriend and Matopi for Saturdays.

aaronm
March 11th, 2010, 00:22
Eric,

I will begin reading up on the player's handbook for the WotBS. Put me down for Thursday ( as long as we are not starting tomorrow, as that is the one Thursday of the year that I will be out of town on business).

PM me here or let me know when I see you on Sunday when you plan to start the campaign down the road. 7p-10p EST (-5) is a good time for me.

Best Regards,

-AaronM

Puzzle
March 12th, 2010, 08:19
sounds good,

I'm working on a few ideas for characters at the moment.

Ebonscarab
March 13th, 2010, 10:17
I'd like to join as well.
I'm good with either schedule.

I will start reading the materials and pitch my character, if accepted.

Thank you.

Mask_of_winter
March 13th, 2010, 13:30
I'm gonna go for Thursdays.

Daerus, Puzzle, Aaron and Ebonscarab. You guys still in? Anybody else? I'd like to start with 5 or 6. The scenario calls for 5 players but there's always one player missing from time to time so...

Ebonscarab
March 13th, 2010, 14:08
I'm in!
I'll send my character concept and/or D&D character file.
Yahoo email ok?

Mask_of_winter
March 13th, 2010, 15:58
yes, yahoo is ok

still need a couple players though, hopefully we can fill those spots soon

jonci
March 13th, 2010, 19:18
I need to read up on the setting, but I'm all for a 4e game. I can put together a human Wizard if you have space for one. A Saturday afternoon game would be the best for me.

If not a wizard, I can put together another arcade class. Wizard is just something I'm most familiar with.

Mask_of_winter
March 13th, 2010, 22:12
I need to read up on the setting, but I'm all for a 4e game. I can put together a human Wizard if you have space for one. A Saturday afternoon game would be the best for me.

If not a wizard, I can put together another arcade class. Wizard is just something I'm most familiar with.

Saturday works best for you, but are you available Thursday evening? Cuz that's when I'll be running it.

aaronm
March 14th, 2010, 01:21
I'm in...Let me know when we start...I'll take a look and begin working up a character. I've just returned from a trip and a long week and things are finally settling down for me, so I am going to reread the campaign and should be good to go this next week.

-Aaron

EugeneZ
March 14th, 2010, 01:31
You guys are in for a treat. I've been DMing a Burning Sky game (we just got to Paragon) and it's easily the most fun I've ever had playing DnD.

Mask_of_winter
March 14th, 2010, 01:56
I like how its not a dungeon crawl. Crawls are so boring for DM's. You're the one who created the campaign modules for FG2 right?

jonci
March 14th, 2010, 04:43
Saturday works best for you, but are you available Thursday evening? Cuz that's when I'll be running it.

Thursday evenings I am available. It's just after a day at work, I can be grumpy.

jonci
March 14th, 2010, 05:26
Putting together a Human Illusionist Wizard from the Lyceum Academy.

EugeneZ
March 14th, 2010, 09:07
I like how its not a dungeon crawl. Crawls are so boring for DM's. You're the one who created the campaign modules for FG2 right?
Yep, that's me. Glad people are using them. They improve in quality as they go, but if you find problems let me know, I'm keeping a list.

As for the campaign, it's not just the lack of dungeon crawls. There are some really interesting characters, multi-faceted political complexity, and encounters that make sense (and aren't always about combat).

Drizzt06
March 14th, 2010, 10:06
Looking to pick up a Game either days work for me

I have both 4e and 3.5 experience as well as FG experience IO currently play a live campaign Sundays in my town but im definitely happy to roll up a new one and add another game Ill definitely give the setting a read over again. Im not to picky about roles leader to striker, though I do pride my self in making some nice controllers.

shoot me a PM if you have the space or not. If so then Ill have a character ready to go asap

thanks

Mask_of_winter
March 15th, 2010, 02:45
Invites have been sent. If some people do not report for duty (hehe) I'll definately come back to this thread to send more invites to fill out the spots. Thanks for everybody's interest.