PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial for parsing adventures?

Desmodaeus
March 5th, 2010, 13:56
Hey guys,

I would really like to learn how to use the 4e parser to create adventure modules but I have no idea where to start. I want to convert the SoW adventure path from pdf to module format. I have all the pdf's and the parser but after that, I am lost. If anyone could help me or send a link to somewhere that explains how to use the parser I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Zeus
March 5th, 2010, 16:51
If you have a DDI account (sounds like you do). Take a look at this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11322) thread. You may find it useful for learning how to scrape the NPCs, Items etc. using the scrape feature of the 4EParser.

In addition and if you have access to Adobe Pro 9, take a look here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10783&highlight=Scales).

Finally FourUglyMonsters (FUM (https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/forum)) is the home of the 4EParser, you will probably find more information/help on module making using the Parser there.

Desmodaeus
March 5th, 2010, 18:20
Thanks a lot looks good although the links that lead to the first zip file are both dead. :( If anyone can point me to where I can find that file it would be awesome.

Zeus
March 6th, 2010, 00:23
I've updated the link in the original post. it should work now.

For reference all my XSL stylesheets can be found at:

https://zgp.eugenez.net/XSL

Desmodaeus
March 6th, 2010, 21:34
Ok, so I got everything down to the final story.txt file but now where do I go from here? I also did not see anything as far as encounter.txt info, it seemed to be blank.

Zeus
March 6th, 2010, 22:57
My bad, I uploaded an older 'broken' version.

I've updated the zip file in the original post. Try that and let me know if you still can't see the encounters.txt (should be right near the top of the output file).

Z.

Desmodaeus
March 7th, 2010, 00:10
Actually, now it isn't working at all for me. Just a jumbled mess of text after using the new version 1.5

Zeus
March 7th, 2010, 00:49
If your referring to the output you see inside the browser of XML Notepad, once you have transformed, thats normal. Just right click in the browser and select View Source.

If you followed my step guide, notepad++ should open with the output text file correctly formatted.

I just, retested with the XSL stylesheet I uploaded (v1.5) and the process works for me.

Desmodaeus
March 7th, 2010, 01:15
Hmm, yes I did the view source and yet it is not working now. Strange because it worked before minus the encounter txt. I will try again.

Desmodaeus
March 7th, 2010, 02:08
This is what I get...

Zeus
March 7th, 2010, 08:34
Hmm, I'm not sure what to suggest.

I just re-transformed Bordrins Watch (2nd SoW adventure module) and all worked as expected. I can even see the encounters.

See the attached screenshot of the output file I get when using v1.5 of the XSL.

Without meaning to sound rude, are you really certain you followed the steps precisely? I can see from the screenshot that your still using Notepad and not Notepad++, hence the question.

Desmodaeus
March 7th, 2010, 09:55
Aha, that is it. For some reason regular notepad became my default editor again even after I chose notepad++ the first time I installed it. I can't seem to get it to become my default editor so I will reinstall it and try again. Thanks for noticing that!

Zeus
March 7th, 2010, 10:03
You might not need to re-install.

You should be able to right click on any .txt file in File Explorer and select Open With. From the menu that appears you can set the default application to open with by choosing 'Choose Default Program'.

Desmodaeus
March 7th, 2010, 10:06
Yes that is what I did, and I also reinstalled again but it will simply not open in notepad++ when I click view source. Very irritating. It seems to open .txt files with ++ now as default though but only has a problem doing so from within the xml notepad. I'm at a loss.

Zeus
March 7th, 2010, 11:16
Try Changing the .txt association through Windows Internet Options -> Programs tab -> Set programs. -> Associate a file type or protocol with a program

Desmodaeus
March 8th, 2010, 16:38
I went through every possible step to get this to work...it seems with XP that notebook++ has trouble opening things from within another program because the original is set as default permanently. I even tried following tutorials for removing notepad entirely but to no avail. Everything opens fine with ++ as long as it is not from within the xml notepad 07 program. I am out of ideas.

Zeus
March 8th, 2010, 17:32
I'm really sorry Desmodaeus but I no longer have access to an XP machine so I'm not in a position to be able to help.

I'm at a loss as to what else to suggest aside from suggesting finding an alternative to XML notepad for the transformation.

I must admit it seems odd that you cannot change the association for a .txt file for IE.

Desmodaeus
March 8th, 2010, 17:48
It's alright, thanks for the help though.