PDA

View Full Version : Removing something from the Library?

adminwheel3
March 5th, 2010, 13:36
I have a phantom library entry of a former module which I have since removed from my modules directory.

It does not show up when my modules directory is completely empty, however when I add a new, unrelated module, I get both the new entry in the library an entry for the old module as well.

I can open the library entry and see the index, however none of the links are actually functional as I get the standard 'could not open sheet with data from unloaded module' error.

So how do I keep this revenant from muddying up my library?

adminwheel3
March 5th, 2010, 13:44
As an additional note, when I open links in my newly parsed and created module, in addition to my expected entries I have either blank, placeholder links where the purged module had information which is now gone, or in the case of armor and magic items the name of the item is still there but the link does not work because it contains data from an unloaded module.

In an effort to speed the load of my clients I decided to create a module for each player, containing all of their powers, feats, etc.

Unfortunately now I have something like
Heroic Feats
Name
[ ] <blank>
[ ] <blank>
[ ] Crushing Earthstrength
[ ] <blank>
[ ] <blank>
[ ] Improved Inititatve

etc.

ddavison
March 5th, 2010, 15:07
Look for a modulestate.xml file in your campaign folder. Open it in notepad or an XML editor and remove the offending module name.

adminwheel3
March 5th, 2010, 19:29
Sadly that didn't work, but thank you for the quick reply. The only entry was the module which should have been listed - not the phantom module.

I tried creating a new module which had no information in it with the same name, but all that did was give me two modules in my library. One real one and one phantom one.

I'm the in process of replacing all of the links in the character sheets which point to the removed module which won't go away to see if that will help.

ddavison
March 5th, 2010, 19:43
Does this happen on a brand new campaign as well?

adminwheel3
July 11th, 2010, 03:23
Well time to revisit this issue, as it's followed me from one campaign to the next.

It must have something to do with the characters, as I exported them using the 4E tools to move them from one campaign to another, because sure enough I get the same issue.

Each time I open a module, I get a new entry for a module I created some time ago and later removed called 'Campaign Special', which was to be a single module which held all of the powers/feats/abilities that the druid and avenger I was introducing would need.

Now by adding a modestring when I reparsed these modules, I eliminated the issue with the bogus Campaign Special adding in blank spaces when I look at, say, Feats in the Hafnir Sourcebook.

Module state has no reference to Campaign Special. I opened up my db.xml file using Dreamweaver (no idea how to use it - came with Adobe CS5) and searched for Campaign Special. Found nine instances there all linked to magic items. I replaced the any 'Campaign Special' string with 'Hafnir Sourcebook' string.

Still no luck.

So at this point I know that somewhere...in one of these files...there is a record of this Campaign Special module and the entries it contained. I just need to find it and pull it out by the roots.

Attached screenshot which shows problem.

adminwheel3
July 11th, 2010, 04:08
Don't ask me to explain why - maybe the big 'T' can.

I happened to come across a post which mentioned that .mod files are nothing more than .zip files renamed. Once I had that I just renamed my .mod files to .zips and started delving.

I wanted to see if I could find any 'Campaign Special' text strings and sure enough, there was a raft of them in the file 'db.xml'. Not only that but the file had information from multiple characters in it even though the module was created using text files which only had information for that character.

So somehow in the module creation process, the parser pulls information from somewhere else and creates a DB.xml file.

I checked all of my parser instructions and noticed that I had 'output to library' set to Yes.

By turning that off, and recreating the .mod file, after renaming it to a .zip I could see that there was no longer a db.xml file being made. No db.xml file meant no Campaign Special ghost modules showing up!

So my problem is fixed, however I would like to know where the parser was getting that information from, since none of the parsed, sourced .txt files has the information it was accessing to create the db.xml file.