PDA

View Full Version : Character Portraits using Savage Worlds

JGray
March 5th, 2010, 01:44
I'm playing with the Savage Worlds add-on for Fantasy Grounds 2. I can't figure out how to help my players add portraits to their character icons, however. Can anyone help me out here, please?

Moon Wizard
March 5th, 2010, 07:32
Try looking in this section of the User's Guide.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide/identities.xcp

The User's Guide was built originally for the d20 ruleset, but most rulesets are based off of this framework.

Cheers,
JPG

phloog
March 20th, 2010, 05:10
Try looking in this section of the User's Guide.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide/identities.xcp

The User's Guide was built originally for the d20 ruleset, but most rulesets are based off of this framework.

Cheers,
JPG

No...this user guide appears to ask me to click on the portraits button, and I don't have a portraits button....It also refers to a personalities button...I have no idea how to set a portrait in the SW ruleset, and frankly I'm beginning to question how a company could release something in this state - no snap, buggy image assignment, and now as far as I can tell no way to assign portraits. The worst parts are I have no idea if and when they'll fix it, and since it seems so horrible loused up I never know if an issue is my knowledge or the software.

I can bring up the PCs window, and double click on a pc, and that just gets me the character sheet, with no clear method for assigning a portrait.

I'm just going to go back to Klooge for this upcoming session, and maybe when FG creates a working SW ruleset I'll give it another shot....thankfully I tested some of this stuff before buying the mega license, otherwise I'd be a lot more annoyed (and poorer)

Foen
March 20th, 2010, 07:12
Hey Phloog

The portraits are assigned by the players, not by the GM. Each player has a portraits folder on their machine from which they get to choose a picture when they click the portraits button. Because the player does this, not the GM, the GM doesn't have a portraits button.

BTW, on the snap-to-grid thing, the SW ruleset and other rulesets used to do this, then there was a change to the underlying FG engine to introduce hex grids etc which undid that feature. Only rulesets built since that change work with the new way snap-to-grid is implemented. When the next SW version is issued, they'll adopt the new method.

Foen

phloog
March 20th, 2010, 13:29
I was using a player instance...the fault is partially mine and partially the lack of good docs for this ruleset (or at least I don't have any)...there is no portraits button, but what I missed was the button that I thought said "PCs", but actually said "PICS" - - so there's no portraits button, but the PICS button does this.

I get the reasons behind the break, I just think it's unfortunate that there was no coordination that could avoid the break for a ruleset that was sold (not just created and given away)...a free product I could see having these issues, but what seems a fairly 'officially licensed' product shouldn't go 'poof' with a new version of the core...or should be fixed weeks after, not months.

Doswelk
March 20th, 2010, 21:14
I get the reasons behind the break, I just think it's unfortunate that there was no coordination that could avoid the break for a ruleset that was sold (not just created and given away)...a free product I could see having these issues, but what seems a fairly 'officially licensed' product shouldn't go 'poof' with a new version of the core...or should be fixed weeks after, not months.

When this happened Digital Adventures was still the owner of the SW ruleset and Smiteworks was not owned by Doug.

Towards the end of the old regime a number of changes were made that broke numerous rulesets, unfortunately for some reason the SW ruleset was more affected than the others!

Other rulesets are still supported by the people that wrote them, To my knowledge there have been 3 (including the FG1) versions of the Savage Worlds Ruleset! Each has been written/changed by a number of different people (as Digital Adentures used freelance coders).

I spent a fair few hours testing things a few weeks back with the current person attempting to resolve these issues, and we could not work out why the problem occurs, however when we tried out an older version of the ruleset the problem went away (however this ruleset did not have all the cool features added!)

Also I believe extra functionality is being added to support Deadlands, so annoying as the wait may be it will be worth it!

Doswelk
March 31st, 2010, 18:04
I'm playing with the Savage Worlds add-on for Fantasy Grounds 2. I can't figure out how to help my players add portraits to their character icons, however. Can anyone help me out here, please?

Found out a way to do it as GM!

go to the portraits folder in your campaign.

copy the intended portrait file in there.

Rename it!

The tricky part is the renaming they need to be in the format id-xxxxx where the first file (id-00001) matches the id-00001 entry in the db.xml.

Ensure you have no extension on the file and it should work!