PDA

View Full Version : Getting Maps off PDFs?

+++++
March 4th, 2010, 03:00
I have a .pdf of maps that go with a campaign I want to run. The only problem is I can't figure out how to separate those images from the document so I can use them, like the usual right click save type of thing.

Is there a way to do this with Acrobat or anything else? I can't really find anything but I've never tried to use the program for anything but reading before.

Thanks in advance, getting great help so far. VTTs have a lot more hurdles to jump than I thought. ><

EugeneZ
March 4th, 2010, 04:23
I have no trouble right clicking and clicking "Copy Image" in Adobe Reader. However, and I can no longer recall why I had to do this, there is another way. Get a free Google Docs account (https://docs.google.com) and then simply upload the PDF. Make sure the "Convert" checkbox is unchecked. I think the interface here is confusing because if the box is checked, the upload fails, but if it's unchecked, Google converts the PDF anyway to its native PDF format. Then you just view the file in the online viewer and Google renders it as HTML, with all of your regular browser controls to enable saving.

+++++
March 4th, 2010, 04:46
Yeah I can normally do that when I select the page but it won't let me do so for this particular document. I will try that google thing and report back, that was along the lines of what I figured was possible.

ddavison
March 4th, 2010, 07:04
You can also use xPDF. It includes a host of free command-line tools you can use to pull images and text from PDFs. The text extract is a little flaky but the image extraction works pretty well. It actually pulls the separate layers from the PDF instead of the merged top layer, which is nice if you want to grab and build up graphics to match.

-Doug

Leonal
March 4th, 2010, 07:22
I use SomePDF image extractor.
It works similar to xPDF described above, but has a GUI and works well with the pdfs I've bought from Paizo.

Spyke
March 4th, 2010, 08:14
For smaller maps, under Windows 7 you can use the inbuilt Snipping Tool just to capture the image. With earlier versions of Windows I used a screen capture tool like Printkey2000.

Spyke

CampbellR66
March 4th, 2010, 08:35
I have been using the pdf reader select tool then copy and paste into Paint.Net to rescale and tidy up the map to create a DM map and a battlemap. It works well

Only problem to solve is how to remove a printed grid quickly on the battlemap version so i can overlay a nice FG one once in game.

philth
March 4th, 2010, 18:26
I have been using the pdf reader select tool then copy and paste into Paint.Net to rescale and tidy up the map to create a DM map and a battlemap. It works well

Only problem to solve is how to remove a printed grid quickly on the battlemap version so i can overlay a nice FG one once in game.
exactly what I do.

+++++
March 4th, 2010, 21:07
Thanks for all the good advice, I just used the Google Docs trick. Using the existing grids isn't to much of a bother, all the FG ones seem to do is stick tokens in the center but that's a very minor deal to me.

BruntFCA
March 4th, 2010, 22:07
Thanks for all the good advice, I just used the Google Docs trick. Using the existing grids isn't to much of a bother, all the FG ones seem to do is stick tokens in the center but that's a very minor deal to me.

Maybe this is totally off, so apologies in advance.

There's a thing called a select tool in Adobe Reader I think. I recently used it to select and copy a PDF from the dungeon magazine. From there I pasted into Paint (I think), anyway it was a pretty good image, if a little low rez and went straight in.