PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand how to connect

Pinwarp
March 3rd, 2010, 01:21
I'm sorry, but this is really frustrating. I am not a tech person. I don't understand how to forward ports, and the guides and things here are just as confusing....

I tried to go into my router (I use a Dlink Dir-615...i think, that's what it says on the front). I go to port forwarding.com and they tell me to login to my router by typing 192.168.01.1

I do this, and i get a login screen. I don't know the login! Port forwarding tells me the default login is Admin with no password. I try this and it says invalid..

I am really annoyed. This program looks so great, but i shouldn't have to be a networking guru just to set up a game! I've already spent 4 hours trying and reading, and have missed my first session that i had planned because of it. Very unhappy customer right now.

Anyhow, can someone tell me, very simply, step by step, what i need to do to set up a game? (i'm dm btw). I've heard hamachi is good to use to get around all this forwarding nonsense...but i am equally clueless as to how to do that.

Please help!

Leonal
March 3rd, 2010, 01:54
Just to check, have you tried typing "admin" in lowercase? That's what their support site says the login should be.

ddavison
March 3rd, 2010, 02:00
Did you purchase and set up your router or did your ISP do this step for you? If they did, then they might have set a default password for it and included it on your initial paperwork. You might also be able to call them to get the password. You really want to know the admin password to your router. If it is a wireless router and you inadvertently leave it set at the default level, anyone in range of your wireless network can log in to it and get on to or into your network.

Pinwarp
March 3rd, 2010, 05:18
I purchased it. I did not ever set a password, which is why i'm confused as to why it won't let me in.

Does anyone know how hamachi works?

Is it just a matter of everyone connecting via hamachi, and then it will let us connect via FG?

Pinwarp
March 3rd, 2010, 10:56
Well, hamachi has allowed us to bypass the router, and we have been able to connect!

Yay! I have purchased the ultimate licence, and we are begging to learn the program. Should prove interesting! I have already begun work on my first adventure. I am amazed at how easy this program is!

Frustration is gone. Although, as general feedback, this process should definatly be smoothed out and improved somehow. i can see it turning people off of the product, which is a shame.

Thanks!

EugeneZ
March 3rd, 2010, 14:44
Pinwarp, unfortunately, this really doesn't have much to do with Fantasy Grounds. Granted, they can use a centralized server like many of the games you play online, but this would not be an idea some members of the FG2 community would support, for several reasons. I agree, however, that "this process" should be smoothed out, in that some routers make it more difficult than necessary to configure. But that's not FG2's fault. :)

ddavison
March 3rd, 2010, 18:36
I'm glad to see you got up and running.