PDA

View Full Version : Save vs specific effect

Slyxen
March 2nd, 2010, 06:05
How do you write an effect to have the save target a specific effect?

Moon Wizard
March 2nd, 2010, 06:51
I assume that you are referring to the 4E ruleset.

For effects with a saving throw, there are a few ways that you can make a saving throw for that effect.

1. Automatic saves
* The GM sets the automatic saving throws option to "All" in the campaign options.
* When the active turn counter advances in the combat tracker, the previously active combatant will automatically roll a save for each effect that allows a save.
* If the save succeeds, then the effect will automatically be removed.

2. GM-initiated saves
* The GM opens the effects details for the combat tracker entry he is interested in.
* The GM double-clicks the numerical field to the right of the "Save" expiration tag. This is the save modifier, if any.
* A saving throw will be made for this effect, and the effect will expire if the save is successful.

3. General saves
* The player (or GM) makes a saving throw by dragging or double-clicking the saving throw bonus field on the character sheet. (or NPC sheet for GMs)
* The result of that saving throw is reported in the chat window.
* If the combatant in the combat tracker that made the saving throw has only one effect that allows a saving throw, then the result will be applied to that effect.
* Otherwise, the GM can either drag the saving throw result onto the specific effect he wants the save to apply to, or he can manually adjust the effect accordingly.

Cheers,
JPG

Slyxen
March 2nd, 2010, 07:13
Sorry I just noticed I didn't word my question properly. What I meant was, how do you word an effect that adds a bonus to a specific type of save?

For example, Warforged get the +2 to save vs ongoing damage. How would you write an effect that would add the bonus to ongoing damage effects only?

Tenian
March 2nd, 2010, 11:25
Currently these are not supported.

DNH
March 3rd, 2010, 09:46
What I like about the 4E ruleset (and 4E_JPG before it) is that nothing is ever said to be impossible! Ask how to achieve something and if it isn't already implemented, you will receive a reply along the lines of "This is not currently supported" (note the use of the word "currently"), "This is on the 'to do' list for the next version" or "This can only be achieved through a change in the underlying FG2 code" (and of course moon_wizard is now in a position to effect those FG2 code changes). There is certainly a "can do" attitude at FG2 these days, particularly with 4e. I mean, just think back half a year or so and we had no token drops or host targeting or effects that were anything more than informational. Things have come a long way and look set to go much further.

So, thanks guys.