PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question on Rulesets and Chars

i101
March 1st, 2010, 10:00
Do players need to have the newest ruleset, or any ruleset? Or does the Gamehosts (Gamemaster) version of Fantasygrounds send them all necessary data?
And what about Chars, a few of mine players did their chars, and after deleting the campaing folder, their chars was off too. Cant I save them anywhere and then just publish within the next adventure?

Cheers

Spyke
March 1st, 2010, 10:53
The host sends the latest version of the ruleset across to the players' machines when they join, so they don't need their own copy.

Characters are saved in the campaign database so, yes, if you deleted the relevant folder they would have been lost. Assuming that you don't do this, then it is possible to copy the xml for the characters out of the db.xml file and paste them into the new campaign (provided it uses the same ruleset) updating the indices appropriately (this should be fairly clear when you look at the file structure).

However, you can achieve what you want without editing the files outside of FG, assuming that the same GM is running all the games. Instead of setting up a new campaign for each adventure, the GM should set up a campaign that will cover all the adventures for those characters and then write and export the individual adventures as modules. This is easy to do (see the FG help in the Library on this site, or search the forum).

The characters then persist in the campaign, while the individual adventures get paged in and out as required.

Spyke