PDA

View Full Version : Warden marking into an Aura?

adminwheel3
February 28th, 2010, 17:03
In the 4e ruleset, is it possible to make the Warden marking power into an aura which automatically marks all targets within 1 square at the start of his turn?

I'm trying to figure out an faster way to include the new (fantastic) marked condition, which would normally be an End Next condition so that if the warden is surrounded by 8 NPCs he doesn't have to manually apply the condition to each NPC each turn.

Moon Wizard
February 28th, 2010, 19:50
Just select all the targets, then double-click the Marked effect.

Cheers,
JPG

EugeneZ
February 28th, 2010, 20:21
Does Marked auto-target the originator, then? Because wouldn't you normally have to hold Shift and drag it onto the PC?

Moon Wizard
February 28th, 2010, 22:15
The Marked effect is actually a special-case. It uses the "source" of the effect to perform it's function, so you don't need to set targets at all. Just apply, and go.

When I was building in this functionality, I found the extra targeting to be too much overhead for such a core mechanic, and the source data was already available.

Cheers,
JPG

adminwheel3
March 1st, 2010, 01:19
Thanks - that should work fine as a solution.

EugeneZ
March 1st, 2010, 06:37
The Marked effect is actually a special-case. It uses the "source" of the effect to perform it's function, so you don't need to set targets at all. Just apply, and go.

When I was building in this functionality, I found the extra targeting to be too much overhead for such a core mechanic, and the source data was already available.

Cheers,
JPG
This is awesome. The defenders in my group will thank you.

DNH
April 8th, 2010, 11:02
Just starting up my 4e game again ... I can now see how useful your Marked condition code is but I was wondering if it would be possible to implement something similar for the Paladin's Divine Challenge. This is (as you know) essentially the same as the Marked condition but also includes automatic radiant damage equal to 3 + the Paladin's Wis modifier if the attack from the marked target does not include the originator of the mark.

In my innocence, I feel this should be easy to implement as all the elements are there and available - ie we know who applied the Marked condition; we can tell if that character is a Paladin or not; if it is, and the target attacks someone else, look up the Paladin's Wis mod, add 3 and apply that as Radiant damage.

An alternative would be to create a new condition, largely identical to the Marked one, called Divine Challenge. That would eliminate the need to check if the mark originator is a Paladin.

Am I being naive, or is this something that could be added in? ... like, before next week's game!

Moon Wizard
April 8th, 2010, 15:21
There are a lot of classes that use the Marked condition, and the Marked condition has a very specific usage in 4E. The Divine Challenge would need to be something separate. Also, the system in the 4E ruleset is currently set up to only support modifiers to rolls, not to trigger additional actions (such as apply damage).

I'll add your request to the wish list for 4E.

Cheers,
JPG

Nibelung
October 6th, 2010, 16:54
Since this topic seens about marks, there is any way to use a "big mark", like mark of warding (-3 penalty instead of -2), and second winded wildblood wardens?

Moon Wizard
October 6th, 2010, 17:03
Marking with different modifiers (-3 instead of -2) is on the wish list.

Cheers,
JPG

AnAxeToGrind
October 7th, 2010, 05:12
In the interim I have been using Marked;ATTK: -1; which applies a -3 total penalty. It reduces issues with stacking problems and over write from other effects. The difficulty comes into play when two defenders are in the party. You need to be aware if one mark over rides the other and manually clear it.

miniwheat
October 13th, 2010, 13:32
Be aware though that an effect like the one above:
Marked; ATK: -1
will apply a negative one (-1) modifier to any attack the marked creature makes, including attacks against the marking PC, which is not correct. When a creature has this effect on him and attacks the marking PC the DM will need to manually adjust the creatures attack by +1.

Otherwise the effect will work as intended.

lokiare
June 13th, 2013, 09:54
Was the Paladin marking every implemented in any way?

someoneinatree
June 13th, 2013, 10:34
Was the Paladin marking every implemented in any way?

I don't believe it was. I'm always careful when setting up Defender marking effects to make sure I give them descriptors after a semi-colon in order to distinguish between my class feature and other generic Marked conditions.

eg. My new Swordmage Enlil has:

Marked; Aegis of Assault for any creature marked with his class Aegis feature; and

Marked; Enlil for any creature marked with a power separate to the class feature. The character name is there purely for other players' information on the character tracker. This helps me distinguish when to enact my additional class features or powers when a creature attacks against my mark, or when to just let the attack proceed as per normal with the -2 penalty. Be certain that you place the Marked condition first, and that it is separated from any descriptors by a semi-colon, otherwise it won't work mechanically in FG2.

The same system can easily sort out a Paladin's Divine Challenges from their Divine Sanctions, or other more generic marks. It makes the "when to apply my damage ability" process much easier.

Griogre
June 14th, 2013, 18:12
I do similar though I have have them use their character names with their "normal" marks for that class, if multiple characters can mark. Thus if a monster breaks the mark and doesn't include say a paladin in an attack the paladin player can see it and just drop the divine challenge damage. To make things easier, most of my paladin players have set their mark up to expire each round so they can easily change targets without me having to update the combat tracker, even though a paladins mark doesn't expire every round.

The one problem with names or anything else being added to a mark is they don't naturally override each other which can be a problem if you have a party with a lot of people who can mark.