PDA

View Full Version : Shift Key = Instant Crash

kmc
February 27th, 2010, 07:19
I was playing as a player tonight, and every time I pushed the shift key, my client crashed.

The DM stated that the game would temporarily hang on his end when it happened.

Both my version (Lite) and the DM version (Full) were completely updated.

If I go into the character management, the shift key does not cause a crash.

Please help!

Moon Wizard
February 27th, 2010, 08:36
That is a strange one.

Can you give us more details on your situation?

* FG version number from launcher (should be 2.6.5)
* Ruleset
* OS

* Last time you played as a player?
* Any changes since then? Driver updates? Programs installed?
* If you didn't press the Shift key, did it otherwise run ok?
* Do you crash when you use the Manage Characters option, instead of joining a game?
* What were you doing with the Shift key when it crashed? Typing in chat box? Typing in char sheet? Making a roll?

Thanks,
JPG

kmc
February 27th, 2010, 16:39
Thanks for weighing in & asking questions. I hope I can help you help me.

* FG version number from launcher (should be 2.6.5)

Yes, 2.6.5 Lite

* Ruleset

4e

* OS

Windows XP pro, latest SP

* Last time you played as a player?

Jan. 21, 2010

* Any changes since then? Driver updates? Programs installed?

Updated NVIDIA drivers. Installed Star Trek Online, re-installed Mass Effect. Also, the big FG update.

* If you didn't press the Shift key, did it otherwise run ok?

Yes. (Trying to remember not to capitalize letters in chat, esp. "I," was sort of hit & miss,)

* Do you crash when you use the Manage Characters option, instead of joining a game?

No, just in the game.

* What were you doing with the Shift key when it crashed? Typing in chat box? Typing in char sheet? Making a roll?

Anything or nothing at all. When we were done playing I literally just hit the shift key to trigger the crash. Happened every single time I hit the shift key in any context whatsoever.

Other thoughts:

My character had been configured with a lot of hotkeys, including some that were accessible by holding the shift key. That may be related?

I also understand that the functionality of the shift key increased significantly in FG.

Finally, I have a USB keyboard rather than one that plugs into the keyboard slot.

Thanks again!

Sigurd
February 27th, 2010, 18:37
If you want to test on another computer let me know. Post here and you can log onto my machine.

Sigurd

Oberoten
February 27th, 2010, 20:45
Corrupt image in the ruleset? Have you tried with another ruleset maybe or against another host?

- Obe

Moon Wizard
February 27th, 2010, 23:40
I don't see anything obvious that could be the culprit.

We have lots of people using Lite versions of FG to play 4E campaigns, so it seems unlikely that it is a problem purely with the program or the ruleset. In fact, my own games have 5 players with the same setup.

Also, the FG update was almost entirely the inclusion of the 4E ruleset. (i.e. we didn't modify any features/behavior of FG client.)

My first idea is that some corruption in the data files, but you already reinstalled FG and redownloaded the campaign to address that.

My next guess is that there is some problem with the new graphics drivers that gets triggered when holding the Shift key down. (i.e. FG makes some DirectX function call when you press Shift that makes your new drivers crash)

My next two suggestions are to:
* Try logging into someone else's host to see if it's a campaign data issue.
* Try upgrading/downgrading your video drivers.

Finally, make sure that no other applications are running at the same time, next time you test. Just mentioned in case you had anything else running that might cause the issue.

Regards,
JPG

Oberoten
February 28th, 2010, 01:00
Delete Cache files, try again should probably be on the fix-list.

- Obe