PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 DnD player seeking group

gm_spiral
February 27th, 2010, 02:27
Objective:
I'm a new FG user looking for an intelligent mature and casual group that meets on most Friday evenings or Saturday mornings/afternoons (GMT -5). My background is D&D although I'm very open to other systems.

About me:
I seek only a spot as a player at the moment.

I'm a 30somthing working in education and want to spend part of my limited time gaming. Although I haven't gamed in a long while, I am a darn good RPer. I started as a child with the old red basic box and lost interest for a few decades. I recently rekindled my interest with 3E and played play-by-post for a while a few years ago because I found a real lack of good RP in modern video games however technically sensational they are today. I really enjoyed the RP quality on PbP games but the pace and the unreliability of players and GMs left more to be desired. Currently, I seek a text heavy chat game using the FG interface simply because I feel that good fun RP is best served as well-written text exchanges among liked minded gamers as opposed to dudes getting overly theatrical on Skype.
;)

I'm a busy working adult and seek a casual, intelligent and mature group of solid roleplayers for a weekly night of quality RP, hack-n-slash, highjnks and overall fun. If you think there is a good mutual fit, please post in this thread.

Thanks,
Spiral

Dude
February 27th, 2010, 05:10
I'm also interested in joining a group of casual, mature and respectful people, Friday and Saturday (evenings preferably) for 3.5.

I'm willing to DM later on, but for the time being I don't have time to prep adventures, so currently I'm in PC status.

gm_spiral
February 27th, 2010, 12:17
Please answer a few personal questions. Hopefully, a self-organized group of interesting players will attract the right GM for us.
:cool:

1. Preferred game system(s)
2. Your style of gameplay and experience
3. Your comfortable level with FG
4. Your timezone (GMT -/+)
5. Preferred gaming frequency with FG (weekly? biweeky? monthly?)
6. Preferred day and time (Day, Time)
7. Your age
8. Your profession
9. Writing and reading comfort level (English)
10. Your favorite books, games, video games, movies, and anything else you want to share to show your personality.

Spiral

cpbs
February 27th, 2010, 16:25
Well right now I am a willing to GM a set of adventure quests or a full campaign. At the same time I also like to play as a PC and let someone else run a couple of adventures as well.

I have GM'd a couple of games on here, with some success but at the same time most of them have petered off because of scheduling conflicts. I'll so post info with your 10 Questions :).

1. 3.5 is basically what I like to run and play. I also am able to run Call of Cthulhu if the group is interested in that as well.
2. My style of game play and GMing is about 60/40 roleplaying to combat. I like being able to interact with the NPCs, to me it creates a great storyline to the whole campaign, then just kill kill kill. Ive played RPGs for about 10 years, with mostly 3.0-3.5 rules as the major influence.
3. Been using FG for almost 2 years not, great program, know it pretty well, enough to run a campaign or adventures on it.
4. I live in the Central Time Zone, USA, I think GMT-6
5. Right now, full time student every other week would be best for my schedule, as it will give me time to do all my school work and be able to give time in creating a campaign for the party.
6. Right now, Saturday evenings are fine with me but it mostly depends on what the whole group is able to work out.
7. 25
8. Full time student
9. Good enough to get my point across :), English is my native language
10. Fav. books, would be anything by L.E. Modesitt Jr, Hard Fantasy and Sci-Fi, also the The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, game consist of Settlers of Catan, Munchkin, Go and mostly any strategy type board game.

Thats basically it, I'm not a rule monger type GM, I like to overall make everyone have a good time while playing. It makes it worth GMing when everyone is having fun :).

Raen_777
February 27th, 2010, 17:28
Greetings!
I am also in search of a mature group of individuals to game with via FG2. I have GM'ed in the past, but currently only have a lite license. Honestly, I prefer the role of player over GMing as I tend towards a very chaotic system which is enjoyable only for a short time, yet prefer longer campaign plots. As a player I am much more organized, focused, and usually a valuable contributor to the game overall.

1.) I personally am a diehard D&D fan and have played from first edition red books up to 3.5 edition. I have read some of the 4th edition materials and personally do not much care for what I have read.

2.) Usually, I try to bring in a degree of comic relief into the game, while maintaining a relaxed, yet professional, demeanor when called for. I try to play my characters fully based on their strengths, weaknesses, backgrounds, etc. Not my own.

3.) From a scale of 1-10 I would put myself at a 7 of 10. I have used the system several times but am always finding out new things about the program.

4.) Central (GMT-6)

5.) Bi-weekly or Weekly

6.) I have a very open availability and prefer any day after 5pm CST.

7.) 23

8.) Unemployed Machine Tool Electrician/ Self-Employed Computer hardware repair.

9.) Scale of 1-10... 10

10.) I am a large fan of the swords series by Fred Saberhagen, Mercedes Lackey, R.A. Salvatore, Margaret Weiss, Tracy Hickman, some John Grisham, some Stephen King and Dean Koontz. I have also occasionally partaken of historical non-fictions. I played World of Warcraft for a while and currently play Dungeons and Dragons Online. I am also a fan of console racing and first person shooter games and like long walks on the beach. Avatar is one of the best movies I have ever seen, and I have a wife and 2 beautiful daughters.

If you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns feel free to PM me or post here!

Thanks Much!

-Jeremy

Longrath
February 27th, 2010, 17:32
-I used to like DnD, Palladium System and all of its genres, ICE Rolemaster. Open to Sci Fi, Car Wars etc. Heck we even did the clay battle royal thing once. It's been so long since (decades) I played PnP, I can't count on having any kind of grasp of the rules in any system.

Not sure about style. I think that a text only game would be the best RP based on my experiences in NWN and WoW (comparatively). I have no interest in LARPing via a chat client.

On the experience front, I'm in my 30s. We played about every game there was in early highschool. Since, I've played NWN. That's about the only CRPG experience that applies. I was on the various application RP permadeath servers including A Land Far Away, and HATE (or something like that: acronym)

Comfort - moderate - Experience, NONE

GMT -5

Once per week about 8:30-11:30 EST

Tuesday or Thursday would be best for me.

7. Your age
30s

8. Your profession
Architectural Consultant - you wouldn't believe how helpful my childhood experience at reading tabulated data has been in my career.

Fluent, yet inexplicably careless at typing.

10. Your favorite books, games, video games, movies, and anything else you want to share to show your personality.

I don't think this stuff shows my personality so to speak:
Fantasy books from Shanara to Wheel of Time and everything in between. Video Games, anything. HL and HL2 were memorable. NWN and IWD best CRPGs. NWN only thing that was close to PnP. And it was good. Makes me nervous about how FG will measure up or if it will seem like paperwork and less immersive now.

I'm old enough and have kids and have overcome self importance, and my adolescent sense of entitlement. Others come first. I'm busy, self employed and just need to fit an escape into my week for stress management. I teach alpine skiing and academic subjects part time as well.

Oh, and I'll be waiting to buy FG until I expect that there's a good chance of establishing a group of regulars, or first game, whichever comes first, I suppose.

Dude
February 27th, 2010, 19:55
1. Preferred game system(s): DND 3.5
2. Your style of gameplay and experience: Hack and Slash/RP
[B]3. Your comfortable level with FG: somewhat comfortable
4. Your timezone: PST
[B]5. Preferred gaming frequency with FG (weekly? biweeky? monthly?): weekly
6. Preferred day and time (Day, Time) Friday and/or Saturday night
7. Your age: 32
8. Your profession: Phone Monkey
9. Writing and reading comfort level (English): Proficient
10. Your favorite books, games, video games, movies, and anything else you want to share to show your personality: Dragonlance, Zelda

gm_spiral
March 1st, 2010, 04:22
We're off to a good start!

Oftimes, gamers on online games know absolutely nothing about the other players. It is really no wonder that so many online games die out! By going through these simple introductions, any prospective GM and other players can see if there is a good *mutual* fit. Nothing ruins a team more than bad chemistry.

Keep the posts coming!

:D

Longrath
March 1st, 2010, 12:31
Looks like popular opinion is Saturday. CST means later for us EST. Later would be fine on a weekend But I know I would prioritize guests or a night out with the wife over gaming. I would expect to miss more on a Sat.

I know the post said 3.5e. Any rolemaster fans?

cpbs
March 2nd, 2010, 02:19
Since we already have five people already posting, why not start organizing this group? It seems we are mostly looking for the same type of game play.

Longrath
March 2nd, 2010, 18:02
Agreed.
Night?
Time?
Ruleset?
Start Date?

Would some like to volunteer to be recognized as leadership? Obviously the GM, but I'm looking for some help getting reacquainted with PnP style play.

I may need someone on an OOC chat client to help with questions. Or is there a whisper to DM type feature in FG.

Raen_777
March 3rd, 2010, 03:07
I would prefer 3.5 D&D over any of the other rule sets. I am available pretty much any time after 5pm CST on Saturdays. As I don't have the GM client for FG, I can't be the leadership role per se... However, I can get with you sometime over Skype or Yahoo Messenger out of game, to get you reacquainted with everything. If you guys have any other questions or anything then please feel free to ask!

Looking forward to gaming with you guys,

-Jeremy

cpbs
March 3rd, 2010, 05:40
I also have a website that I can host a forum for us to talk about setting up a time to play and to discuss about a future group. I also would prefer 3.5 as well, and as well Saturdays after 6:00pm CST are fine with me.

Longrath
March 3rd, 2010, 13:07
Do I have to buy the 3.5 rule set? (happy to do it)
Where is that located?
Can I get away with buying the lite FG?

If I get into this enough, it occurs to me that some of the software I own for architectural design could be adapted for maps. I suspect even Google Sketchup (read free 3d software for everyone) would work. It casts shadows and can view from above with parallel projection.

6pm CST is too early for me.
In a perfect world, my wife puts the kids to bed at 8pm EST and I don't have to help that night, I could start with a minimum of domestic friction at 7pm CST/8 pm EST.

In a few weeks time, I'll be taking nine days away while in-laws visit.
And I want to re-iterate that on Saturday, as opposed to a weeknight, I'm more likely to miss some games. I get little time to go out with the wife without the kids, and if that opportunity presents itself, I'll take it over gaming. I can offer to be more reliable on weeknights.

Oh, and I think we should start if we get three or four committed, provided one can GM.

gm_spiral
March 4th, 2010, 22:19
Before we get too excited, we need a commitment from a person willing to GM. The GM is the focal point and really determines everything. As mentioned, I'm way to busy with RL and can not GM. If anyone out there reading is interested in a quality RP driven game, we would really welcome your participation.

Longrath
March 5th, 2010, 12:19
Didn't CPBS offer to GM?

Could a few of us meet through FG, decide on roles, roll characters, write bios and backstory? Understandably some of that will be directed by the GM and the campaign setting.

Would you guys plan roles like tank, MU, Healer, etc or just come to the table with whatever and see how it plays out even if it's unbalanced?

cpbs
March 5th, 2010, 14:44
I am willing to DM/GM this group but I would also like to pass the mantel around the group after we have played together for a while. Now what type of game is everyone looking for? Do you want large storyline, epic plot twist, hard to kill monster, staying alive but the tips of your finger nails type of gameplay. Or do you like hack and slash, dungeon crawl type of gameplay?

Like I said earlier, I own a website in which we can move this discussion to or we can talk here, either or.

:)

Longrath
March 5th, 2010, 15:10
Compelling conversation here may lure others.

Provided I become familiar enough with the software and rule set, I'd be happy to create content and take a crack at the GM role, though I've never done it before (not really seriously, to the point where I'm taking responsibility for other people's entertainment... that's not the standard I hold the GM to, just how I feel, being somewhat paranoid schizophrenic).

Creating the content is particularly interesting to me though. I do, however have to get some current commitments out of the way before I decide to take on any non-money making deadlines. I would consider Co-DMing if that's possible, to be involved with content creating when I have the time to make that my hobby time.

What do I look for in a campaign? What makes it fun for me?

-"mental sparring": just throwing an idea out there and seeing what other minds do with it and how it evolves because of that process. That's really what we're all doing by RPing if you ask me.

-We all want to be an epic hero since we sit anonymously behind a computer monitor and push buttons to make someone else money all day. I'm usually satisfied to have one aspect of my character recognized by the plot. If we all have a small enough character trait they don't take over the storey, but our little individual contributions make the plot more personal, more meaningful, and more entertaining.

-I think game balance ideas that apply to Computer Gaming apply to this as well. It has to be a bit of a struggle or it's not rewarding. At the same time it can't be so hard it's hopeless or frustrating. Fortunately that's easy in a PnP setting. A human GM can nerf encounters if needed, or throw in some re-enforcements, or change the puzzle. A computer can't do that for a hard coded game.

cpbs
March 5th, 2010, 15:47
I would like to have someone help with creating a campaign, and if we are making a homebrew type of campaign, the more input from everyone that is playing would make it very interesting.

After a while as we keep it here, the page might get cluttered, so as we getting people to play, I would say that I could not host a game with more then 6 people. More then that it gets very complicated to DM/GM a game slows down with 6 different ideas on how they want the adventure to progress.

At some point we will need to bring this to another page, either the calender page or a website away from here, and point people to it if they are wanting to join.

Raen_777
March 5th, 2010, 15:55
So, now it seems the question is, when would be a time to get together on CPBS' server and start making it happen.

Longrath
March 5th, 2010, 18:06
Why don't we try to get up and running on OTTB content first. If it turns out we have a committed group, we can then look at making content.

I'd help with making content, but the I couldn't play it. Are you asking for a CoDM role to be filled? I have to get a couple of projects out of the office before I can start taking on other deadlines.

gm_spiral
March 6th, 2010, 00:17
I agree that we should keep the discussion here. We can also cross post on other forums to generate more interest. A lively discussion will draw good players.

I've played in the Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms and Kalamar settings. Overall, they are mediocre. Homebrew campaigns are fine if they are already created. Otherwise, it is a lot of work to create imo. Instead, I would suggest a published campaign world to reduce the workload.

The campaign that fascinates me now is Midnight: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_%28role-playing_game%29

If you can envision a Middle Earth world where Sauron won, that is the world of Midnight. It has a very rich background with tons of compelling content. It is definitely a darker campaign that can go heroic / epic or gritty / desperate. Although the publisher stopped supporting it, the campaign world is now open license and there is a great fan site supporting it from which we can probably get more players or a GM:
https://www.againsttheshadow.org/index.php?action=forum

Midnight is an absolutely fantastic game world that would offer us a GREAT setting for amazing gripping adventures on FG. Take a peak and see what you think:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_%28role-playing_game%29

Raen_777
March 6th, 2010, 03:31
From what I have read so far of the Midnight campaign setting, I would say that it definitely looks interesting and I would like to give it a shot. I like the large differences it entails based on most of the other campaign settings out there, and the magical restrictions it places. On the other hand, It is completely different then what I am used to and will take some time to become proficient in its use. That being said, I would probably go with the majority vote on the matter of which campaign setting we use. I am familiar enough with most of the more common ones to help our GM work up the plotline, and am very good at separating player knowledge from character knowledge. I also have the time and inclination to help out whenever needed pretty much, if given advance notice.
As for the forum issue, we could keep our generic posts here on the FG forums and move our more in depth/involved posts to another forum to avoid confusion on here so new players/GM's could easily navigate through here and see what we are up to. This would also keep this thread "clutter free" so new people would not have to go through 50 pages of mindless banter, involved character concepts, questions involving the campaign setting we use, time restraints, etc. I know CPBS has one such forum we could all use, or Proboards is free and has a good setup.

Longrath
March 6th, 2010, 12:15
I agree with some of the last thoughts on keeping some of the most benign stuff somewhere else after things are rolling. It would still benefit us to show general progress, and maybe campaign direction here. Basically let others know it's still going. There are sure to be drop outs for one reason or another. Summer is coming.

I will read up on that campaign setting before I vote. I'm not particular except I could never get into the whole underdark thing. Playing an evil elf never worked for me. I'm naturally a goody good. Not the sparkling paladin type though. Anyhow, some generally well intensioned characters struggling or hiding in a world of evil sounds fun. Especially if it's a grey world and not so much good vs evil.

Longrath
March 6th, 2010, 12:22
I followed the Darkness Falls SRD Link and noticed part of the URL was "leader desslock". Is that anything to do with the PC Gamer RPG reviewer? Is Desslock a common thing in any particular fantasy universe?

Longrath
March 6th, 2010, 16:48
https://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Midnight_RPG_Campaigns:_Main_Page#The_Midnight_Set ting

I thought this was a good wiki about the world.

I'm imagining a DM played NPC who is showing signs of magic ability whose group of friends have to try and hide him or seek help to "cure" him before he's hunted down. Not sure if that fits the world perfectly though.

Dude
March 6th, 2010, 23:33
I dropped out for a week and I see this thread has grown nicely.
Would you or anyone that's going to DM/host mind sending a private message to all the would-be players to try and get a more organized schedule together?

Jhoebryn
March 7th, 2010, 01:10
I was just looking at online RPG alternatives and came across Fantasy Grounds today (a huge improvement over WebRPG - which I used many years ago). I would love to start playing again - if you are still looking for players. I am open to GMing as well (once I get comfortable with FGII).

1. Preferred game system(s) - D&D 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 (I am fine with any)
2. Your style of gameplay and experience - I also remember the red/blue D&D books and have been playing since they first came out
3. Your comfortable level with FG - brand new (but doesn't look hard to learn)
4. Your timezone (GMT -/+) - EST
5. Preferred gaming frequency with FG (weekly? biweeky? monthly?) - weekly
6. Preferred day and time (Day, Time) - Friday evenings after 9:00p EST, Saturdays after 9:00p EST
7. Your age - 41
8. Your profession - Oracle Database Administrator
9. Writing and reading comfort level (English) - Fluent
10. Your favorite books, games, video games, movies, and anything else you want to share to show your personality. - an avid golfer that still plays softball, I also have a collection of all the Forgotten Realms novels. I am a Salvatore fan also (but I prefer Breunor and Wulfgar to Drizzt) but I also love good thriller novel.

Let me know if you guys stuill have room for another player...

- Jhoebryn

Longrath
March 8th, 2010, 02:20
Poking around online i find the Midnight first edition rules on rapidshare. I find second edition for ten bucks. Is this truely open source now? Which edition do we want? Happy to pay the author. Not happy to pay someone selling a public license.

cpbs
March 8th, 2010, 12:48
I found they were having a sale at RPGNow for the 2nd edition book for Midnight and snagged it for $7.50. Ill take a look over it and post my thoughts during the week.

Longrath
March 8th, 2010, 13:01
Having found the midnight movie trailers on you tube, I'm afraid it's colouring my opinion of the Midnight game setting.

I'm happy to play in any setting but I tend more toward the, "it's a nice world don't let the bad guy screw it up", over the "it's a screwed up world, woe is me, see my struggle to survive". Then again IRL I try to have the former attitude as well. It took me a lot of personal developement to change my outlook from the latter.

cpbs
March 8th, 2010, 16:03
I usally run generally good type of parties and campaigns but I also see this type of campaign as a challenge to find the good in even the worst place possible. Right now read through the first coupleof pages it looks interesting.

Raen_777
March 9th, 2010, 04:53
So, would it be safe to go ahead and have a vote on what campaign setting we would like to run? I am fine with the Midnight setting personally, as it would definitely be a nice change of pace. As for what time we will be playing... it seems everyone is available for Saturdays or Fridays. I know Longrath will eventually have issues with making it to some games if we run the game on Saturdays. How does 8pm CST Friday sound to everyone? That should give everyone time to relax after work and not interfere with personal lives too much.

I see that we have 6 people for the group right now, and I am ready whenever CPBS is to start working out the campaign and such. So let's go ahead and get the campaign setting issue ironed out along with the time and days we will be gaming. Sorry if it seems as though I'm trying to take over or be a dictator at all. Just trying to keep things rolling.

-Raen

cpbs
March 9th, 2010, 15:41
So far the people that are interested in playing

Jhoebryn
GM_Spiral
Dude
Raen_777
Longrath
cpbs

Is everyone able to play on Friday? or are there other times that we want to try to get.

Longrath
March 9th, 2010, 17:16
I am fine with Midnight. I'm looking into getting the official info so I am better read in the lore.

Fridays and Saturdays have the same risk, as far as risking pre-emption. My family lives out of town 3 hours away. If I'm to visit them, it burns up the whole weekend.

Actually, Friday, I could minimize absence. Sunday evening I could be very consistent with. I had good luck with Sunday evening in NWN a few years ago. My ski season is over, so I will be awake Sunday evening now, instead of skied out for the eight or nine hours prior. I didn't initially put Sunday evening forward as a possibility because I had imagined things would start sooner.

Put me down as equally happy with Friday or Sunday EST, after 8pm. The kids go to sleep the same time no matter which day. If I get a membership at the local flower shop, I may be able to start earlier... if you're married, this isn't a puzzle.

Jhoebryn
March 9th, 2010, 18:08
I am good with Friday evenings after 9:00p and I am also OK with Sunday evenings - after 9:00p. How long are we planning weekly sessions to be - 3 hrs? 4 hrs?

cpbs
March 9th, 2010, 18:49
From past experience I try not to run the game longer then 3 hours. With a VTT, its kind of difficult to keep people concentrated then it does with people around a table. Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, etc is about two clicks away to occupy your mind while you wait for your turn or the plot to get going and we have to wait for them to remember they are still playing.

Sunday evening are fine with me even better so then Fridays. I live in the central time zone so I doubt I can start at 9:00pm, the latest I can start playing is 8:00pm if we want to end before midnight my time. Give time for some short breaks and some time to talk to each other and possible level up our character before or after a game and I can typically see our game running till 11:30-12:00pm CST.

So far midnight looks "Ok", I could run it but Id need a couple of weeks to write up a plot line and form a consistent storyline, plus make maps and handouts for the weekly quests. I am willing to co-DM/GM with someone so they can run it as well and so that I can also create a character that can participate. Its up to all that are here decided if they want to take on that mantel or not.

I'd also like gm-spiral's input as he was the first one to create this thread :). I will also create a calender page in the near future so we can have a central point to go to once we start and then also update whats going on here.

Dude
March 9th, 2010, 21:29
So far the people that are interested in playing

Jhoebryn
GM_Spiral
Dude
Raen_777
Longrath
cpbs

Is everyone able to play on Friday? or are there other times that we want to try to get.

Hello guys, I'm more in favor of a light-hearted campaign setting, I don't want to be the party pooper, certainly the vote is in favor for the mentioned campaign, I'll skip on this group. Thanks for your time though.

gm_spiral
March 10th, 2010, 02:06
Friday evenings work best for me. I need to blow off steam after my work weeks which are very draining.... I'm too busy on Saturday and Sundays to be useful.

As for knowledge of Midnight, I won't be much help because I have never gamed in the campaign world. However, Midnight has more potential for truly gripping and compelling RP driven adventure than any other 3.5 setting that I've seen. From a purely story driven point-of-view, Midnight is hard to beat.

Is doesn't necessarily have to be a dark and depressing world. In a dark world, the HEROES can really shine through THEIR actions. In other words, this type of campaign setting really allows for the PCs to explore extraordinary RP opportunities. This type of game isn't for most DnD gamers, and you need to figure out if good RP fits your preferences.

As a veteran Play-by-Post gamer, I have gamed in adventures that have lasted years. This is only possible when there is good RP. With good RP, everyone knows that the players running the game feel passionate, want to keep going and entice others to continue with them through positive rich interaction. Food for thought.

While I was a play-by-post GM in a galaxy far, far away once upon a time, I have absolutely no energy and time to devote to GMing right now. I'm too tired and drained from my job. I hope this helps.

Can we settle on Friday evening (GMT -5) after 8PM? Some of us live outside the US so please use GMT time.

Thanks,
Spiral

Longrath
March 10th, 2010, 12:56
I'm ok with Friday 7pm GMT -6 (right? central, the sun gets to me before it gets to you. Makes it 8pm GMT-5 EST.

Regardless, for me, 7pm GMT-6 and later is fine.

I hate to see a player drop out before we've even started. I'm trying to take the, "a temple of elemental evil is a pretty bleak setting too" outlook on it. (actually I never played that one) Crypts, tombs, dungeons; all bleak settings. Just a little mental shift form pockets of bleak, to pockets of good.

Raen_777
March 10th, 2010, 17:41
Fridays after 8pm (GMT -5) works for me. As for the campaign being in a bleak setting... It's only as bleak as you make it. It's not like we're playing a linear game here. This is Dungeons and Dragons and should be 100% up to the players and DM, exactly how bleak the game will be. That's called good RPing. Am I right?

Longrath
March 10th, 2010, 18:08
I think that's kind of what I was getting at.

Although the campaign setting sets the overall atmosphere, I expect we can make it what we want to some degree. It's all about what you focus on.

So in agreement with your thoughts, if things aren't as you might like them, you should be able to discuss it with the DM and see if any adjustments, or side quests, or story lines could be done to make your game more focused on something you like.

Raen_777
March 10th, 2010, 19:11
Exactamundo! :)

Kaloth
March 13th, 2010, 03:41
I hope that I am not too terribly late in replying to this, but I have a great interest in this. I have just got my hands on the midnight campaign setting, and from what I read it seem fun. So if you are still looking for players Fridays
8pm (GMT -5) work right into my schedule.

1. Preferred game system(s)- D&D 3.5 and a little bit of GURPS
2. Your style of gameplay and experience- I typically try to play the cunning character, and have played in a few campaigns over the table, and one play by post game.
3. Your comfortable level with FG- New (quick learner and it looks fairly intuitive)
4. Your timezone (GMT -/+) -5
5. Preferred gaming frequency with FG (weekly? biweeky? monthly?)-Biweekly easily
6. Preferred day and time (Day, Time)Weekends, evenings
7. Your age- 18
8. Your profession- student
9. Writing and reading comfort level (English)- I consider myself an amateur author, so I'd say fairly competent.
10. Your favorite books, games, video games, movies, and anything else you want to share to show your personality. - Big into Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, and SWord of Truth. Favorite author is currently Salvatore and yes, I am a Drizzt fan, though Jarlaxle/Pikel are my favorites.

cpbs
March 13th, 2010, 23:53
Nope not to late Kaloth, I think since Dude dropped out and started his own thread we could take on another person. Ok right now we are going to start progressing this group to the calender page, so we can talk more about what we want to do. I have gotten about half-way through the book, mostly due to school, college full-time, in all that implies. I should be able to finish the book and have a large understanding on where I want to take this group.

So far the major consensus is the party will be a good aligned party, set within a darkened world, trying to over come all the obstacles that arise from being in such a foreboding environment.

Calender page:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=470

Sign up and post a general idea on what you think you character might be. I was thinking we should do a meet and greet type of meeting first before we play. So that we can get together, get to know each other, create some character and discuss what your hopes and dreams are for your characters and for this campaign. As a GM I really like feedback in how I present the game so that I can make adjustments along the way.

Anyways, Ill keep checking the calender and answering any questions that you might have.

Cya there,
cpbs

Kaloth
March 14th, 2010, 06:19
Well I applied, I have read some of the book (Just got it recently) and I think I would like to play a channeler who is a hemetic caster. As I understand it I will be casting very infrequently as magic is kind of... hunted?

((Also on a separate note, I think I may have the wrong edition of the midnight campaign setting as mine seems to be 3e but it was all I could find.))

cpbs
March 14th, 2010, 06:48
The version I have says, its 2nd edition, which upgrades it up to 3.5, do I don't know what the exact editions your is, but I think in general it will work out fine.

Yes, so far what I have read, magic is very limited or if it is used more often the more you are noticed by people that you will not wanted noticing you.

dragon1976
March 14th, 2010, 14:54
hey if you find a mature group count me in im in my 30 's and a DND guru

Longrath
March 14th, 2010, 18:07
I've started wading into the Midnight campaign material.

One concern. Seems like character rolling choices are going to be limited by the plot. Ex. An elf in the party is going set where we are what we're diong and how we do it.

Other big concern. We're asking a lot of cpbs to create all of the content for this. Would it be less work or 1.5x the work to start an OOTB adventure, and let a co-dm come on board and develop the midnight campaign on the side or find canned content for it?

cpbs
March 14th, 2010, 19:02
I would say that being an elf outside in the world of Midnight, outside his typical forest culture would raise some eyebrows and cause combat instantly, but will it dictate where the party is going, or what the party does? No. I am very liberal on what the party can do and get themselves into. Remember, consequences for your actions are for both good and ill. The set design for the campaign is very liner in some instances (i.e. races and classes) but it leaves it open for some great roleplaying and also a great story arch.

I am not against us playing some "out of the box" adventure first but I would at least like to get everyone together to talk about where we want to take the game. I would like a co-gm, but it is not needed.

That whole reason for creating a separate site were we can collaborate is so I can see where everyone wants to take this campaign. Granted I am assigned for creating something that everyone will enjoy, but I don't want to create something that everyone will hate.

I tried softballing the idea of creating a forum outside of this website so that we can bring our ideas together and direct those ideas towards where we want to bring this campaign, but most of group seemed against it. Leaving it here so that we can recruit more people. :) I am ok with that, it just that it will be a little bit more difficult to weed through everyones ideas at the same time trying to keep this post open for people to respond to if they are interested in playing in our campaign.

So, with that said, I will start planning out a small blog/wiki for this campaign so that I can keep track of what is going on. This will also be a place for me to post plot lines you might have missed while playing, as well as a place for you guys to post back stories about your characters. As well as writing up a wiki about the group and their encounters with the Midnight world. I can also create a page for log-posts for every session so we can keep track of what has happened, as well as give new comers the ability to read what has transpired if they are new to our campaign.

Longrath
March 14th, 2010, 21:27
I like the idea of posting elsewhere in a format that makes dming as easy as possible for you. I'm half ready to volunteer as a co dm. It wouldn't take much of a push. Maybe a persistant "npc" I could get attached to would do it.

Anyone know how to do the co- dm thing?

cpbs
March 14th, 2010, 23:37
The co-gm part is actually not that difficult, or as I have done it in the past, it has not been. Mostly what I need is someone to help run the adventures that we do and also help to create them. Between the two people that are co-gming, they might understand what the whole story line is going to be but they won't know the individual adventure/quests the other gm will be running. This makes it so that the gm can trade off with creating and running a game and also playing.

I have created a shell for the website if anyone wants to take a look. It is possible to register but I am still working on it, so the layout might change a little.

www.abacusforge.com/guild

cpbs
March 15th, 2010, 03:41
Sent out invites to the calender page, I was getting requests for people to join that I didn't know. I'd rather they went through this forum and I send out invites then some random person signing up that I don't know. Check your PM's if you have not signed up for the forum yet, I should have sent you one. If not send me a PM and Ill send out an invite.

Longrath
March 15th, 2010, 15:18
Registered ther but can't post with my itouch. It won't give me the keyboard. I was going to discuss my ability to commit to creating content. I would have to do every other week thing. Game one week, create content the next in the same time slot.

cpbs
March 15th, 2010, 15:49
I have an ipod touch as well and will try different mobile versions of the site. I do not know how well it will work for the forums section of the site but I will look into it.

But website is up for now, I will be trying different themes if everyone thinks it too generic lol I will also try to either use my old wikisite that I have on my server or upload another mediawiki software on the server, we will see. I also installed a small forum for the website as well.

We should start looking at a time when we can all get together and start rolling up characters, discussing what type of characters everyone wants to be, and also looking at the exact day everyone is able to start.

Some quests and adventures will take more then just one gaming session so you would have more time to actually create an adventure then just one week on and one week off.

Longrath
March 15th, 2010, 16:52
We should start looking at a time when we can all get together and start rolling up characters, discussing what type of characters everyone wants to be, and also looking at the exact day everyone is able to start.

May I suggest the game time slot?

cpbs
March 15th, 2010, 19:10
Sure post suggestions in the calender and I'll be the final judge in being able to run it that week or not. I am still working through the campaign setting but I have a inkling in where I want to take this campaign.

Longrath
March 15th, 2010, 20:24
I need to get this started up. I was playing a 10 day WoW trial which ran out to fill time between skiing and the next thing. If I pay for a month, I'll be lost forever.

cpbs
March 16th, 2010, 00:41
lol we will try to get this up in running as fast as possible but keep in mind, if we want a good campaign, it can't just be put together with spit and glue. I need sometime to thinking through how I want this campaign to progress :). But I understand what you are saying.

Kaloth
March 16th, 2010, 01:59
If it helps I have a general idea for what I want my character to be. Should I post it somewhere (if so where?) or send it to you via PM?

cpbs
March 16th, 2010, 02:34
I would say post on the calender page for now as the website is still in transition. We will slowly move there to discuss the game and create characters but keep some information stored here on the FG page for other people to see our progress.

I do make you an author on the blog and gave you a page under the character tab. Just hover over the tab and it should drop down and show your name. Click that and it will go to your page. If you have any trouble just PM here or reply to this thread. Can't wait to see what kind of character everyone wants to make :).

cpbs
March 16th, 2010, 05:02
Also I have started the Midnight library module. I have finished all the human races and sub-races as well as updated the dwarves in this campaign. I am now working on the elves and will move on to their sub-races as well. The coding doesn't seem that overly complicated but it is taxing sometimes when I forget a code and it stops working. But I think in the end it will help a ton for everyone in the group.

Longrath
March 16th, 2010, 17:14
You have to recode the ruleset?

Wow. I wish cold beer could be sent via ftp.

cpbs
March 16th, 2010, 18:20
Not the ruleset, just an added library module, like a book, like you get for looking up race information and spells. I am just inputting all the open content from the game into a shell module.

Most of the information that I am putting in, is coming from this website and all the open content designated in the 2nd edition manual.

https://darknessfalls.leaderdesslok.com/

The module coding is all xml, which isn't that far from html which I am familiar with. So it will take sometime but I think not only us but the community here could use an extra library with this information.

Longrath
March 16th, 2010, 19:34
Again, with the "I wish you could send cold beer over TCP/IP"
Nice job, let me know if there is something I can do to ease the load.

I won't be any help with XML.
Look to me when you need map making. Photoshop, and various drafting software should work wonders for these. That, I can do.

Kaloth
March 16th, 2010, 19:49
The sentiment is shared Long, unfortunately all I can do is my meager attempts at plot. And since I'm fairly sure you have a good idea what type of things you are already going to be doing, I will have to settle with just making my character as strong as possible.

cpbs
March 16th, 2010, 20:52
Thanks again guys. On that same note, I finished the races section, anyone have time to jump onto the server to see if it works for you. I'll have it up for a while. Just PM me if you can and Ill send the server alias over.

Thanks

Raen_777
March 16th, 2010, 21:42
Howdy guys!

Sorry about my extended absense from the forums here. a friend of mine came down from Michigan for a surprise visit and brought Dragonage: Origins with him. Needless to say I was a zombie for alot of his stay lol. Of course it did not help that I lost my password for FG forums either lol.

I have no problem in Assistant GMing at all as far as utilizing my orginization skills during game to keep things running smoothly, Assisting with plot idea's, being a rule monger when needed inside or outside of game, getting the GM coffee, etc. Pretty much doing any leg work that may be needed so that the other players and the GM can focus on what is going on in game. I'm pretty good at multi-tasking so I can divide my attention while keeping my head in the game.

Directly after this I will head over to the calendar page and start working on a rough draft of my character concept. I'll be on most of the day so if anyone needs anything, shoot me a PM.

Raen_777
March 17th, 2010, 19:36
Howdy guys!

CPBS has begun some of the coding process into FG2 for our campaign setting and a couple of us have posted our character class and race on the calendar page. I have the Midnight campaign setting book, so if any of you need any info from there, send me a PM with your questions and I will get back to you ASAP.

Also, CPBS and I will probably be taking turns GMing the adventure. We will both have a character in the party. While I'm GMing my character will turn into an NPC getting average party experience, and be a regular PC when CPBS is GMing and get XP as normal. CPBS will be doing the same. If you haven't signed up on CPBS's forum site, then please do so as soon as you can. Here is the link again- https://abacusforge.com/guild/ .

Currently, we have a Dworg Ironborn Wildlander and an Erenlander Dragonblooded Channeler. Still lots of room for whatever you would like to play. We still have a slot or two for mature players and have not started as of yet. So if you are interested in joining us... then please go to the first page of this thread and fill out our little application.

-Raen

Longrath
March 17th, 2010, 20:04
There's a link to abbacusfoge/guid on pg 5.

There is a forum link and a Midnight "tab" there.

Placebo
March 17th, 2010, 20:05
You guys are working in a module for Midnight or in the ruleset...?
where can i find the ruleset...?
Thanks

cpbs
March 17th, 2010, 20:42
I am working on a library module for Midnight, that will have all the open content that the source book contains. Midnight (2nd edition) updates all Midnight information to 3.5, so the library module will work with the 3.5 ruleset. Although there might be a little complications with the magic system. I have not figured out how to implement that yet but I am looking in to it.

Raen_777
March 17th, 2010, 20:48
Here is a free source guide that you can check out online. https://darknessfalls.leaderdesslok.com/

It is not 100% complete, but it will give you a general idea of the campaign world. If you would like to get the complete book you can go here https://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=2718&it=1 and DL it. It costs $10.00 US but contains everything anyone needs to know about the world. We are just using the ruleset and creating our own campaign. It is not a requirement to purchase the book to play the game, but it is a very good reference guide for what is going on and for extended rules and such. Also CPBS is working on some of the coding to make Midnight compatible with FG2 and incorporate alot of the info in the program.

-Raen

Placebo
March 17th, 2010, 21:24
Ohh ok :) hurry up with the Module ;)
Oh i forgot one thing...there was a ruleset for Midnight...not sure where...
Thanks

cpbs
March 17th, 2010, 22:18
Right now I am about half way through the Heroic Paths, from there I plan on during the classes. Its taking time so I don't know exactly when I will be done as I am also creating a campaign based around with world.

Kaloth
March 17th, 2010, 22:20
Take you're time, we'd rather have a well made game than one with no effort that will fall apart quickly anyways. We'd be right back where we started from in that point.

rhettvet
March 18th, 2010, 00:53
3.5 D+D

Role play/ Problem solver. I enjoy playing heroic characters. D+D, Rifts, White Wolf (multiple formats
)
Completely new to FG. Raen_777 will mentor me

Central (-6)

Prefere as much as possible

Any

7. Your age

8. Your profession
Disabled Veteran

Native. Also speak Russian

I enjoy reading fantasy and paranormal romance (seriously). Read The entire "Sword of Truth" series and loved it.
Games: Fall Out 3. I love the role play aspect of the game and playing the Hero. Legend of the Seeker
Movies: The Patriot, Equalibrium and anything with a heroic underdog story.

gm_spiral
March 18th, 2010, 05:12
It looks like the preparations are coming along nicely! I'm pleased to see that Midnight still draws interest.

rhettvet
March 18th, 2010, 05:26
I thought the trailer was fantastic. In a world of darkness, a single flame of hope emerges. I would very much like to adventure in such a world, carrying a beacon of good. But that's just me.

cpbs
March 18th, 2010, 15:36
Sent you an invite to the calender rhettvet, hope to see you there. Also when you get time please sign up for the website, as we will try to migrate most of the information over there to continue this discussion. :)

keetarin
March 19th, 2010, 00:09
Sorry for the vague Super Smash Bros. reference, but here is my stats:
1. I prefer D&D 3.5e because of the flexibility of the d20 system that it is built upon, and the fact that there are so many things to choose from for both an aspiring DM & Player.
2. I am practically new to roleplaying if I don't count my experiences with runescape, everquest, and a few other MMO's, not to mention a few RPG's for the PC such as Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate, so basically I am as most mean people would put it a newb, but even so I take that as a compliment because it just means that I am ready and willing to learn, also I am very mature when it comes to roleplaying, though I don't like cheaters very much and I can get very excited easily (I am a child at heart after all).
3. I am thoroughly comfortable with FG but and quite new to it's use.
4. I am in Mountain Standard Time.
5. I would prefer to play at least once a month, and would love it if it could be done biweekly.
6. I prefer to play at night but before midnight (my computer has been programmed to automatically lock me out at midnight until 7 AM because if it didn't I wouldn't go to bed, I am a bit of a computer addict after all).
7. I am 21 years of age and proud of it.
8. Currently I am a student going to the University of Advancing Technology to get a degree in Game Programming.
9. I am a very advanced reader who prefers a good book, especially if I can learn somthing from it.
10. Some of my favorite books are Finite (The actual name of the book is Finite), Darksword Adventures, Dragonquest, and Sherlock Holmes. Some of my favorite video games are Pokemon, Final Fantasy, and Phantasy Sta. Also some of my hobbies include programming, robotics, and theorizing.

cpbs
March 20th, 2010, 17:19
Welcome keetarin, I will send you an invite to the calender page where you can start working on your character. If you need some help on creating a character with the Midnight rules, get in touch with me or Raen.

On another note, I was able to finish the Heroic Paths for the library and now I am working on the class section.

keetarin
March 20th, 2010, 20:32
Hi, I have a copy of the campaign book, but could you send me some information on the campaign story that were running. I'd like to fit my character to the setting a little bit.

cpbs
March 21st, 2010, 05:13
As of right now me and Raen are working to get a campaign story together. Give us a little time as we want to make this great. But once we have it all together or just a general outline we will post an over view of how we see the campaign.

Raen_777
March 21st, 2010, 22:25
What we do know currently, is that the party will tend more towards good, and we will more then likely be going against the shadow in one way or another. One thing you can do is to go to www.abacusforge.com/guild and take a look at the available character bio's there. That may give you an idea of the flavor that our current players are expecting.

Raen_777
March 22nd, 2010, 21:12
We have just filled our last open position in the campaign for players. However if you still are interested in joining our group, feel free to keep checking through this thread for updates on what is going on in the campaign and possible openings. Also, keep in mind that there always could be schedule conflicts, loss of interest, or real life issues that could cause some of our players to drop. So feel free to post here with your questionnaire answers, character concept, and availability. Doing it this way will make any new player's transitions as smooth as possible.

Raen_777
March 22nd, 2010, 21:20
(Originally posted by GM_Spiral.) Please answer a few personal questions.

7. Your age
8. Your profession

Thanks for reading!

gm_spiral
March 26th, 2010, 00:25
Trailer for the Midnight movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p35thkHoyCQ

The Masterpiece Theater production values aside, the trailer gives a good glimpse into the Midnight campaign world.

xaotik1
March 26th, 2010, 01:49
Absolutely anything is fine by me. I'm most familiar with D&D 3.5, but have an enormous stack of manuals and handbooks littering my living room desk, so whatever you feel like playing is perfectly fine by me.

I can RP as well as most, though to be honest, I do tend to be a number cruncher at heart. This is not to say that I build a character strictly by the number and give it no thought, but I see no reason why a mechanicly competent character ceases to be less that lifelike in it's personality. I tend to be fairly detail oriented in real life and it bleeds into my gaming, even when I don't want it to :)

I've been using it for a few years now. I'm perfectly capable of playing whatever you like on it, and have even tried my hand at building a few modules for it. Not to successfully, sadly, my scripting sucks.

Central (GMT -5/-6 depending on the time of year)

I am usually involved in a weekly game schedule, but I am flexible.

My only real limitations are that I work until 4-430 pm central on the weekdays, I have a regular game on Tuesdays already, and I have a rather erratic dialysis schedule on Saturdays. Not that I can't play on Saturday, but I would definitely be missing games here and there because of it, so it would probably be best not to schedule for Sat.

7. Your age
I'm 36 years old.

8. Your profession
Orthodontic lab tech. Basicly, I make the retainers, braces, etc that the dentist puts in your kids mouth :)

I read and write just fine, thank you. :) Joking aside, I have my own library of beat up paperbacks and worn out hardcovers that covers a good part of every nook and cranny of my house. At a guess, I've got a minimum of 2000 books, and likely considerably more. Kind of hard to tell since they are scattered about :)

I'm a fan of ROMs, old school games from the original Nintendo, Sega, Turbo Graffix, etc. I rarely watch tv, though I do enjoy a good movie, and, of course, I read almost incessantly. I really have broad tastes when it comes to books, though I do tend to stick to sci-fi and fantasy for the most part. I'm a real sucker for historical fiction though, and if you plop a history book on the table, I'll end up reading it sooner more than later :)

Other than that, I tend to flit about using the free trials for various online games like EVE, Star Trek Online, WoW, etc. I rarely stick with them for more than a month, if only because mashing a button repeatedly isn't really my idea of what a role playing game should be. I enjoy chess, well, all strategic games really, and I avoid first person shooters like the plague.

One thing to be clear on though. . I do not LARP, nor do I wish to do so. Not that I have anything against it, but I am not my character, and I don't particularly see the need to pretend that I am. Roleplaying is a way to get away from my real life for a while, and as such I like to keep the two separate :) .

cpbs
March 27th, 2010, 23:15
Our first meeting was indeed a successes on many points as we were able to see mostly everyone that has registered on the calender. We are looking to meet this coming Friday (April 2) as well and finish up everything we need to do before out first game on April 9th. I know at least one person that will not be able to make it, but I think we can pull through and have some fun.

How I see it, usually those first games are kind of like first tests in college from a new professor. You don't really know how things will all be arranged but I think everyone will do fine.

I hope to see everyone next week and then get this campaign on the road :)

dragon1976
March 28th, 2010, 14:59
The snake said eat the apple form the tree of knowledge so eve did adam said now im hungrey and ate the snake..

im a playa oh yes i am goona eat ya if ya got the right game :P

list of things i like
PLaying dnd

Laeadian
March 29th, 2010, 10:44
1. I am a long time 3.5 player with slight gm experiance
2. For me the game is about the story, created as we go on, changed as decisions are made, good balance between comabat and roleplay is always a good thing for great stories and action packed fun.
3. I do not remember when I first started on fantasy grounds, but I believe I am familiar with most the functions, options, and commands
4. My time zone is Mountain time, USA
5. I am available most days and times
6. See above
7. I am 25 years of age
8. N/A
9. My english is acceptible and primary language
10. I enjoy reading books by R.A. Salvatore, and other forgotten realms publishings. As far as movies go, action and a good story behind the action is the key. I enjoy most musics, I do not enjoy Rap and my preference is country and rock

Longrath
March 30th, 2010, 00:40
Raen, can you pm me (about) the ruleset?

ButtatakiBuddha
March 30th, 2010, 17:45
I just started Yesterday (March 29). I'm also looking for a group like yours. Do you think I can join? I'm a noob though, so I warn you.

To answer your questions:

1. I've played D&D 3.5 E with my friends for a while, but our group ended. I was then introduced to this. I'm willing to try new things

2. We played mostly a "try to solve it without conflict" campaign d*** Paladins

3. I'm a noob, but I'm trying to learn

4. My time zone is GMT-5

5. I would prefer weekly or semi weekly (I have no life)

6. Don't care, I'm never busy

7. 17

8. I'm a college student (at DeVry so I can bring a laptop to class)

9. I've read at a college level since I was in the fourth grade, howevr i be no rite so god (jk)

10. I mostly read mangas and watch animes, so don't be surprised if I reference these (e.g. IT'S OVER 9000!!!!). I'm also a big Monty Python fan, so same as before, I'll probably reference this.

ButtatakiBuddha
March 30th, 2010, 17:48
Sorry, I only read the first page, I didn't know there was more. Ignore my request.

cpbs
March 30th, 2010, 18:52
Welcome to Fantasy Grounds, it is indeed a great platform to learn more about all type of RPGs that are you there. As of right now we are pretty much full. There are a lot of other games that are open that I have noticed if you are up to other types of games other then just 3.5. :)

Again welcome to the forums and no problem about the post, nice to have you around. :D

slaske255
March 31st, 2010, 18:23
Hello Everyone, My Name Is Slaske
Im New To This Fantasy Grounds II But I Playing Dungeons And Dragons In Real Life (Both As Player And A bit Game Master But Have not alot of Exp about that)
Is it Possible that anyone in here can Help me abit about, Character Sheets, Maps, Bla Bla Bla.

Contact Me:
MSN: [email protected]

cpbs
April 1st, 2010, 05:55
I might be able to help you out tomorrow evening, but I see you are in Denmark, what is your GMT? It might be too late for you by the time I can help you out.

cpbs

Oberoten
April 1st, 2010, 06:07
Denmark is GMT +1 just like here in Sweden.

- Obe

Longrath
April 6th, 2010, 17:57
Is bumping allowed?

Raen_777
April 6th, 2010, 21:45
Depends on what you're bumping I would suppose. lol

Kaloth
April 6th, 2010, 21:48
Edit: Right-o
vvvvvvvv

Longrath
April 7th, 2010, 02:45
lol

Keep it PG folks. Or at least in good taste.

Raen_777
April 7th, 2010, 21:08
Hey hey guys! It looks like our first actual game session will be kicking off this Friday, April 9th. We are still currently full up on players for the time being, but are still looking for others to fill out the questionnaire and be on standby. The game is using the Midnight campaign setting converted to 3.5 rules, played every Friday. CPBS and myself will be taking turns GMing adventures to lead the players to the same ultimate goal. I will post the notes from our coming session here, so that everyone can keep up with what our party is up to.

Raen_777
April 11th, 2010, 00:55
Session notes:

The game started with the party traveling on the road, leaving a small village that housed a small but effective resistance movement. We came into the town individually or in small groups, but were thrown together into something resembling a party by the administrators of the resistance. Our mission was to track, observe, and report enemy patrol units and to assassinate anything we could handle. Three days into the mission, our party was setting up camp when a small party of Elves entered into the clearing where we were setting up camp. We invited them to share our fire and we bartered for information. One character pulled a very interesting looking elf aside to have a private conversation. The Elves gave us some very interesting information about a salt mine that had people there in need of assistance.

Shortly after the bartering was finished, everyone decided it was time to turn in. When the sun rose the Elves left the camp and our party set off in the direction of the salt mine. As we walked to our destination, we encountered a group of hostiles that we felt we could eliminate effectively. Battle commenced and was finished in short order with only one unconscious party member on our side, one injured party member, and all enemies obliterated. We pulled off of the road on which the battle commenced to tend our wounds, burn the bodies of the deceased, and rest before commencing on our journey.

We had a decent turn out player wise and still have some kinks to work out in regards to group synergy, but overall I would give the party an A-. There will be another session Friday, April 16th. Though we currently have a full active roster, we are still looking for a couple of standby players just in case. Feel free to post your answers to the questionaire located in page 1 of this thread.

Raen_777
April 11th, 2010, 00:57
Also if you would like a more in-depth 1st person account of what happened during our game session then feel free to visit this link, https://abacusforge.com/guild/forum/midnight-campaign/els-monologue and check it out.

cpbs
April 11th, 2010, 05:48
Also here is the chatlog for the game as well.

https://abacusforge.com/guild/chatlogs/midnight-492010

dragon1976
May 23rd, 2013, 08:49
D&D
25 years D&D FR
Comfortable
+10
Weekly Bi weekly
Any
7. Your age
8. Your profession
Musician Artsian
Good
ra salvadore

Trenloe
May 23rd, 2013, 16:30
D&D
etc.
You may be flogging a dead horse here, the last post on this thread was over 3 years ago.

Perhaps try PMing the GM directly to see if they are still active and looking for players. But, if they aren't active any more or aren't checking FG PMs then that will just fall on deaf ears... :(

damned
April 25th, 2014, 13:50
Calling out to all you 3.5E gamers looking for a weekend of gaming! Make sure you check your timezone - unless you are logged in and set your timezone the games will show in UTC! We have 3 Oriental Adventures themed sessions running at FG Con 4 (https://www.fg-con.com/events) that need 1-4 extra players. You can play in one or all sessions.

https://www.fg-con.com/events/the-massacre-of-kakunodate-part-13/

You are all Ronin.

Regardless of whether you were a Samurai, a Ninja, or a Monk, you have been labelled by the people as a Ronin and your deaths are commanded by High Ecclesiarch. Set in the nation of Preseria (a fantasy analogue of feudal Japan) where the ‘old ways’ had persisted for centuries, only to fall prey to a new, progressive movement known as the Ecclesiarchy. With their powerful evangelism and tempting lifestyle they have raised the masses that were once satisfied with their simple lives against their former lords and created civil war.

This war tore across Preseria and culminated in the capture and execution of the King and his Lords. The leader of the Ecclesiarchy adopted the rule of the nation and cast all ties to the old ways as sinful and decadent, demanding that the death of the old ways are the only way to secure a rich and prosperous future. The Ninja were hunted, those who survived forced from their hidden lairs with weapons of fire and thunder.

The Samurai were marched to the city and town squares, where they faced an honour less death at the hands of the common warriors and their alien ‘guns’. The monks fought for their monasteries with the fierce yet harmonious fighting for which they were renown, but even their temple fortresses were burnt to ash. The survivors of the old ways gathered in the wilderness, casting aside their former hatreds for the sakes of survival, but even then they were chased and hounded. You are one of these survivors, no matter your former profession you have been disgraced and named Ronin by the Common Army.

Though your death seems inevitable there is hope, for the Samurai training grounds still stand. A huge fortress town that is defensible, has supplies enough for an extended siege, and has offered invitations to the survivors of the old ways. This haven is called Kakunodate

- This game will be run using D&D 3.5
- Characters will be provided and will be at level 10
- This game will be combat heavy but there will be plenty of opportunity for role-playing.
- This game is set to run for 3 (Thursday, Friday, Saturday) with a session for each day, listed as different events.
- Up to 6 player slots available.

If you can’t make all 3 games that’s fine as there are literally hundreds of potential characters in the survivors heading towards the objective.