PDA

View Full Version : Newbie having difficulty connecting to host

jcdf
February 27th, 2010, 00:56
I am new to FGII. I am attempting to connect to a game hosted by another.

I have a LITE License and have recently updated.

The GM says they have no problem with firewall and others do not have any difficulty connecting to the GM. Also the GM is in the USA and I am outside the USA.

When I enter the GM's server alias and clicking start I get the ERROR message "Could not connect to host. Check the address and try again."

Any ideas what might be wrong?

jcdf
February 27th, 2010, 00:58
Also I am using Windows Vista

follmern
February 27th, 2010, 03:44
Are you using a router? If you are, you will need to set up either a reserved or static IP address for your PC and then enable Port Forwarding for port 1802. There are several threads which give detailed instructions on this if you need more help.

jcdf
February 27th, 2010, 13:05
Yes, I am using a router. I am not hosting a game just connecting to a game.

I went to this page and followed the instructions. (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Networking)

I went into the virtual server configuration and set my computer as the DMZ Host. Those IP packets from the Internet that do NOT belong to any applications configured in the port forwarding table will be sent to my computer.

I will not know if this has worked until I try connecting to a game.

I was unable to find anything specific on Port Forwarding for port 1802 in my routers options.

Spyke
February 27th, 2010, 14:56
You do not need to set up your router for port forwarding if you are simply connecting to a game. Only the GM needs to do this.

If you turn off your firewall temporarily, can you connect?

Spyke

jcdf
February 27th, 2010, 15:22
You do not need to set up your router for port forwarding if you are simply connecting to a game. Only the GM needs to do this.

If you turn off your firewall temporarily, can you connect?

Spyke
I turned off my firewall. So what other reason could there be that I cannot connect to the GM assuming the GM is doing everything right?

Spyke
February 27th, 2010, 15:48
I turned off my firewall. So what other reason could there be that I cannot connect to the GM assuming the GM is doing everything right?
When you mentioned above that the GM said that other players could connect, was that during the same session that you failed to connect?

These issues almost always turn out to be a problem at the GM's end. The most likely reason would be that he doesn't have a static IP address configured and that his port forwarding is only working intermittently when his router happens to serve out the address he has configured for port forwarding.

Spyke

Sorontar
February 27th, 2010, 15:50
Message sent

follmern
February 27th, 2010, 19:33
You do not need to set up your router for port forwarding if you are simply connecting to a game. Only the GM needs to do this

When I set FG2 up with a friend of mine, we both needed port forwarding turned on for the connection to work. We tried it only one way, mine being the host with port forwarding on and his the client with port forwording off and we could not connect.

Under the DHCP settings of our respective routers, mine a Lynksys, his a Netgear, we set a reserve IP for our PCs, this is easier then setting a Static IP on the PC as it allows you to still connect to other networks (i.e. Starbucks, or an airport) without having to constantly change PC settings. Once we did that, we set Port Forwarding to the reserved IP address for port 1802 and all worked.

Spyke
February 27th, 2010, 20:47
The player definitely should not need port forwarding, as only the GM's machine is acting as a server. It's possible that setting up the port forwarding on the player's set up cured some other problem, such as opening the port in the firewall.

Spyke

jcdf
February 28th, 2010, 00:14
When you mentioned above that the GM said that other players could connect, was that during the same session that you failed to connect?

These issues almost always turn out to be a problem at the GM's end. The most likely reason would be that he doesn't have a static IP address configured and that his port forwarding is only working intermittently when his router happens to serve out the address he has configured for port forwarding.

Spyke
I have asked the GM this and am awaiting a reply.

Sorontar
February 28th, 2010, 00:36
I have asked the GM this and am awaiting a reply.

Host up until 1am bud .. I'll put it up again tomorrow for you to test against.