PDA

View Full Version : FG client disconnect on idle in Windows 7

darkivel
February 26th, 2010, 23:18
Both my husband and I recently installed Windows 7 (Pro, 64-bit), and reinstalled FG on both machines.

If FG is left idle (with both of us connected, as players, to another GM host), it will lose the connection with the server and drop back to the "launcher window" after about 4 minutes. Sometimes when it does this, it will also crash to desktop. Windows does not provide an error message beyond the generic "FantasyGrounds.exe has stopped working" window.

This is true on both machines; both machines ran FG without this issue in Windows XP (one 32-bit, one 64-bit), and both will drop the connection after roughly 4 minutes.

Additionally, we tested it with me hosting my campaign and going idle. It didn't crash or boot him from the game, even if left alone well past the 4 minute mark.

Hopefully this makes sense to you guys!

Barbara

Griogre
February 26th, 2010, 23:33
I don't have Win7. What you describe though points to your security or network settings have an idle timeout setting. The problem is likely a setting in your software firewall or in the network configuration of the OS.

The fact you don't timeout on a local connection just means the local network probably has a more relaxed setting than the connection to the Internet - which is typical.

EugeneZ
February 27th, 2010, 05:26
I have Win7 64-bit. Been playing on it just fine.

Spyke
February 27th, 2010, 09:46
Same here, no issues under Win 7 64 bit.

Spyke

Oberoten
February 27th, 2010, 20:47
Been playing a LOT on Win7 x64, even leaving the computer idle while doing a snack-run. I am thinking either you have a screen-saver interfering or some kind of security rule.

- Obe

ddavison
February 28th, 2010, 03:28
How many of you are over a wireless connection versus a wired connection? I wonder if there is a feature that can be disabled that only pertains to those.

Foen
February 28th, 2010, 06:52
I have used Win7 Pro x64 since last August with no problems. I'm on a wired connection to my router.

Spyke
February 28th, 2010, 08:44
I'm using it over the mains wiring in a Homeplug network.

Spyke

darkivel
February 28th, 2010, 15:50
Did y'all change anything on your Windows 7 that might have affected this? I've got a pretty much fresh out of the box install running, on a network that we didn't change anything on. The game hadn't been doing any of this silliness back in XP.

Just kind of bamboozled.

Oh, and it is a wired network I'm connecting over.

Spyke
February 28th, 2010, 17:27
Fantasy Grounds was one of the first things I installed and tested, so it was on a pretty fresh install of Windows 7 Professional.

Spyke