PDA

View Full Version : Can we move the Application Data folders?

ericidyll
February 25th, 2010, 05:01
Does anyone know of a way to specify where FG2 should look for the campaigns, characters, modules and extensions directories? I shifted around my locations for Windows system directories, and when FG2 installed, it ended up dumping those directories straight into E: drive, and I don't want them there if I have the choice.

I've checked the registry and came up with nothing. Is it possible to move these directories?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Moon Wizard
February 25th, 2010, 05:38
There's a registry key under HKCU/Software/Fantasy Grounds/2.0 called DataDir that specifies which folder that FG should look for campaign and ruleset data.

Cheers,
JPG

ericidyll
February 26th, 2010, 00:56
Perfect! There is currently no entry in my registry, so I'll make it when I have a few more moments. Thanks a lot!

EugeneZ
February 26th, 2010, 02:18
Perfect! There is currently no entry in my registry, so I'll make it when I have a few more moments. Thanks a lot!

How can this be? The game needs this entry to run. Make sure you sure you are looking at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fantasy Grounds\2.0

ericidyll
February 26th, 2010, 05:42
How can this be? The game needs this entry to run. Make sure you sure you are looking at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fantasy Grounds\2.0

Well, I've heard before, "Screenshots, or it didn't happen". I edited this screeny a bit to save my details, but I promise I did not edit out the key that you will not see. Yes, the program still works, and after saving updates the files I located in the root of E drive. Could there be magic at work, like default hard coded search paths for when registry entries are absent?

EugeneZ
February 26th, 2010, 17:29
There certainly could be. I was just trying to be absolutely certain you had the right key. You didn't give too many details last time so I was hoping you weren't messing with the registry needlessly. It seems like you know what you're doing, and more importantly, you seem to have the correct key, since all the other FG2 settings are there. Weird. For me, the key has always been present after an install. Maybe it's something machine-specific I'm doing.

Anyway, try adding a DataDir value and see if FG2 switches to using that. Here's mine, as a sample: C:\Users\Eugene\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II

ericidyll
February 27th, 2010, 03:26
Works like a charm! I finally took a chance to try it out. Thanks for the help you two!