PDA

View Full Version : Castles and Crusades - updated Ruleset?

acseric
February 16th, 2010, 18:09
Hi All,

I recently purchased Fantasy Grounds 2 and the Castles and crusades ruleset. When I brought up the library players handbook, I noticed that it was not the latest version of the C&C rules.

Is this being updated somewhere? Can I update it?

I am pretty new to FG2, and I would like to have the latest version of the rules incorporated in the ruleset.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Sakusammakko
April 17th, 2010, 18:08
I run my game using C&C and some of my players have bought the ruleset, though they don't strictly need to to play.

The ruleset hasn't been updated for the latest printings of the PHB and M&T and I somehow doubt they will be anytime soon. There weren't significant changes to the rules (Monk, Barbarian, Illusionist spells), so the current ruleset is 95% complete.

I find that in practice I haven't needed the new printing's info in the FGII ruleset. I bought a pdf of the new version so I know what's in it.

I think you'll be fine. If you have any more C&C on FGII questions, let me know.

TheMetal1
April 18th, 2010, 00:18
The key word that Sakusammakko used is latest printing. This isn't a new edition so the rules haven't changed, just some adjustment to the a few of the classes, fixing errata, etc. Below is the link to the PDF document outlining the changes to the M&T and the PHB for the 3rd and 4th printing respectively. That way if you want, you can create update for your own game by creating a module for it.

Castles & Crusades 3rd Edition Monsters & Treasure Errata and 4th Printing Players Handbook Errata (https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/C&C_2009_TLG_Sponsored_Errata.pdf)

Hope this helps!

ddavison
November 7th, 2010, 20:02
The ruleset has just been updated and an email link was sent to everyone who purchased it. It includes bug-fixes, a new skin and the 4th printing changes. Thanks to Alan Neilson for all his efforts on this. If you like what you see, take a look at the other recent conversions for C&C done be Alan.

-Doug

acseric
November 7th, 2010, 20:21
Hi All,

I am an official purchaser of the castles and crusades ruleset, and I did not recieve my link to download the updated version.

Perhaps it got sent to spam and I didnt notice it.

Please resend: [email protected]

Thanks,

Eric Hendershott

ddavison
November 7th, 2010, 23:25
If the email got marked as spam or you did not receive it, you can also select it from your order history. The Order History link is on the bottom of the store page.

-Doug

GunnarGreybeard
November 8th, 2010, 05:54
The ruleset has just been updated and an email link was sent to everyone who purchased it. It includes bug-fixes, a new skin and the 4th printing changes. Thanks to Alan Neilson for all his efforts on this. If you like what you see, take a look at the other recent conversions for C&C done be Alan.

-Doug
Woohoo! Sounds like an excuse to make a new purchase. :D

Sakusammakko
November 8th, 2010, 08:11
Doug,

Is it possible that those of us who bought the C&C ruleset from Digital Adventures a couple of years ago wouldn't have this info showing in our order history?

That appears to be my case. The licenses are in my history, but nothing else. I can find my original order receipt and email it to you if necessary.

Valarian
November 8th, 2010, 12:10
I too haven't received notification, and C&C is not in my Smiteworks order history. Time to dig out the original order email and send on to the support email address ([email protected]). It could be due to buying through DriveThruRPG?

acseric
November 8th, 2010, 14:50
Hi Again,

I have confirmed that I bought the ruleset through RPGNOW (DRIVETHRURPG).

Are there plans to allow their customers to receive this update to the ruleset?

Thanks,

Eric

Valarian
November 8th, 2010, 15:19
I will be doing as above. Send a mail to the support email address, including the DTRPG/RPGNOW order details. I'm sure someone from Smiteworks will respond quickly.

mr_h
November 8th, 2010, 15:33
I bought the C&C ruleset and I didn't get any notifications either (checked my spam folder as well).
I can't find it in my history here or on DTRPG/RPGNow. Were there any other places it was sold that I might have snagged it from?

Valarian
November 8th, 2010, 16:54
Direct from Digital Adventures?

ddavison
November 9th, 2010, 02:03
I updated the product files on DriveThruRPG and RPGNow as well (just now) and sent an email to those customers who bought it there and have it set to allow emails. I have at least one email requesting that I send it for an order that was sent under Digital Adventures. I will look those up and respond individually as quickly as I can.

Thanks guys.

-Doug

Crowley72
November 10th, 2010, 01:36
I am in an active campaign using the C&C rules set. I received the e-mail notification that the rules set has been upgraded.

"After downloading the product, you can install the product by double-clicking the .msi file. The ruleset will install to a new directory, so your existing Castles & Crusades ruleset will still be available. To use the new features, you will need to create a new campaign."

I am confused - after installation, how will I be able to use the new rules set, with my current (older ruleset) campaign?

Thank you.

C.

Sakusammakko
November 10th, 2010, 07:49
I installed the new ruleset (backing up the old one) and it works fine. All of the extra things that I've put in the ruleset (chat window portraits, the Box, etc.) still work. The installation added the Rising Knight module and updated the Players Handbook.

Opened my existing campaigns directly to view the new PHB.

Sorcerer
November 10th, 2010, 07:54
@ Crowley I thought the email was pretty clear.

when the new version of the ruleset installs, it does not overwrite the old version it installs it to a new folder. So the older version is still accessible to run older campaigns on (and to revert to if you don't like the changes or have problems with the new version).

The old version was called Castles_and_Crusades
The new version is called Castles and Crusades

To use the new ruleset, you need to start a new campaign.

That said this is mainly to avoid the possibility of any conflicts. Theoretically there should be a good degree of compatibility between the two versions of the ruleset, and all older modules should automatically be accessible within the new version.

However, if you desperately want to use your old campaign with the new ruleset then the easiest thing to do is

1. Back up your campaign (before doing anything zip up the whole folder or copy it somewhere safe.)
2. in the campaign folder you should find a file campaign.xml. open it up and change the ruleset name
from Castles_and_Crusades to Castles and Crusades. save and exit.

when you load your campaign next it will be loaded into the new version.

Just remember that by doing this you are going against the sound advice of Smiteworks so any bugs or
data loss it on your head..not theirs (or mine!)

@ Sakusammakko. The chat portraits and box are built into the new ruleset so should be there even if you have not modified the old ruleset previously.

Just to be clear to everybody, since it is probably unusual to have the possibility to have 2 versions of a ruleset running simultaneously.... If when your campaign loads you do not see a green desktop wallpaper with a white C&C logo on it then you have loaded your campaign in the old version...