PDA

View Full Version : Question on how to resize tokens - stymied

Xiph
February 14th, 2010, 14:21
First off, thank you to the community, very helpful group here!

I have just started running a campaign for my friend and all is running beautifully! I have run into one small, but annoying snag. I have been using tokentool to make all my tokens, which is a great program by the way. I have made all my monster tokens using the default 128/128 setting. I have also made a few using the smallest setting (56/56) I think to see if that would fix my issue, but it did not.

When I load a map - and I have tried different sizes of maps, ones that are 700x700 up to a whopper that was 2500x2500 and place the grid on it my monster tokens are much bigger than the player tokens I drag on. I zoom in to lock the monster tokens so that they fit the grid nicely, but then the player tokens are very small, they look like a diminuative creature, this is even when I use the smallest tokentool setting to make the monster tokens.

I was wondering if there was a way to lock the monster token size, but then still adjust the player token size when I drag them on. That would easily solve the problem, but I cannot seem to find a way to do that. Either both tokens are locked, or both are released, I cannot independently (or at least I have not figured out how to do it yet) adjust the scale of the tokens when I place them on the grid.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how people accomplish this, or have an idea on what I could do.

Thanks,

Zeus
February 14th, 2010, 14:44
Sounds like your player tokens were created at a smaller size than your 128x128 npc tokens.

You can either recreate your player tokens to be 128x128 or individually scale the player tokens via the combattracker (hold ctrl and scroll your mouse wheel up/down over the token).

Given you would have to do this for each and evey map it's probably beter to recreate your tokens. Choose a fixed size for medium sized tokens e.g 50x50 or 72x72 and then when creating large tokens fix them at twice the medium token size.

Sigurd
February 14th, 2010, 14:45
There is no size so universally agreed as to be a default. Most of my tokens are scaled to 64x64. The simplest thing is to look at your token collection in windows explorer. Open the 'dimensions' dialog of the display and see what you are actually dealing with.

Try to have everything of a like size in the game be of a like size in the directory.

Sigurd

Xiph
February 14th, 2010, 15:45
Thank you again!

Answulf
February 14th, 2010, 21:51
There is no universally agreed upon default size, but as the others suggested you should decide on one for yourself to avoid token and map issues. Keep in mind that this is also a map scale, not just a token scale.

I use 50x50, which I think is relatively common. This means that all of my medium-sized tokens are 50x50 and I resize my maps to have 50x50 pixel squares if the squares are pre-drawn on the map. If the squares aren't pre-drawn, then I use the FG2 mask to draw 50 pixel squares - but you often still need to rescale your map to an appropriate size so that 50 pixel squares make sense. I play D&D 4E where squares are 5ftx5ft, so my map scale is 1ft=10 pixels. Then Large tokens that I want to take up 2x2 squares would then be 100x100 pixels, etc.

You can choose any scale you want, but if you are consistent you won't have any scaling problems with maps and tokens. In fact you won't ever have to resize/scale them inside FG2 - everything will always "automatically" be the right size.

Things to consider when choosing the right scale for you are the size of your maps and the monitor screen resolution used by you and your players. Larger scales look better, but as your standard scale gets larger resized maps become more blurry (because you are often resizing larger instead of smaller) and the map and tokens get too big for players using lower screen resolutions. In general 50x50 is probably the safest and most flexible, but if you make all of your own maps and your players all play in high resolution - go with a larger scale so that it looks better.

Doswelk
February 15th, 2010, 00:18
Actually I wonder if the issue is with the portrait_token_mask.png file (at that's what it's called in SW ruleset)

Doesn't this decide the size of the player tokens when dragged to a map?

Zeus
February 15th, 2010, 09:45
Actually I wonder if the issue is with the portrait_token_mask.png file (at that's what it's called in SW ruleset)

Doesn't this decide the size of the player tokens when dragged to a map?

Doswelk, portrait_token_mask.png is the mask file used when displaying portrait token pictures of the players in the Chat window when they communicate. I don't believe it has anything to do with the sizing of your tokens.

Size of tokens as far as I can tell is purely down to the size and resolution of the token images themselves.

Doswelk
February 15th, 2010, 15:51
Nope (I do not have access to FGII right now so I cannot check the file name but the one you are thinking of has 'chat@ in the filename), but when I want to change the size of the token when I drag a PC onto a map I change this file.

I have a number of different versions of this depending on the size of the token I've cobbled together (yes I know it would make more sense to standardize the tokens but some are parts of modules etc.)

As I stated before this is with the SW ruleset and may well be different in others (hence the confusion over chat mask and this one DrZeuss!)

Zeus
February 15th, 2010, 16:17
My bad. Didn't spot you were running SW.

I haven't played a game using the SW ruleset in a long time and forgot PC tokens are derived from PC portraits, so the mask file you quoted is indeed linked to token scale.